Wednesday, September 10, 2014

In The Garden

“You're only here for a short visit. Don't hurry, don't worry. And be sure to smell the flowers along the way.”
- Walter Hagen -

Anyone who grows trees and plants and fruits and vegetables and herbs, and so on, knows that you cannot rush a garden. It will grow in its own time, and in its own way. And no matter the pace, eventually it will get to where it’s going. We can learn a lot from a garden, particularly the virtue of patience.

Today will be a very busy day for me, as I’m sure it will be for many of you, but I invite you to slow down for a moment and take a stroll with me through my garden. We may as well enjoy the flowers while we can because ... dare I say it? ... - winter is not that far away.

But until then, there are still flowers to enjoy...

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Paris Rapa' grows beautifully every year.

The wine-red flower of Hemerocallis ‘Summer Wine’.

Can you ever have enough Hollyhocks? I don't think so. This is the lovely Alcea rosea ‘Spotlight Sunshine’.

A tiny visitor is enjoying a lovely Morden Sunrise bloom.

Lilium ‘Star Gazer’ puts on a spectacular show every summer.

Lilium 'Navona' is a beautiful white flowering lily with prominent dark stamens.

Achillea ‘Moonshine’ is great for planting in hot, dry and sunny locations, of which I have many.

Platycodon grandiflorus ‘Sentimental Blue’ produces beautiful star-shaped, blue blossoms.

The stunning Rudbeckia hirta ‘Prairie Sun’. This is one of the most beautiful flowers I've ever seen.

Daylilies are always a joy. This one is Hemerocallis ‘Pardon Me’.

One of the Phlox plants gracing my garden. I believe this is 'Drummond Pink'

Thanks for visiting with me. Have a beautiful day, everyone!

30 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures of some nice flowers you've got there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful flowers and great quote! Love the photo of the rose with the visitor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "We only dance on this earth for a short while." ~ Cat Stevens, "Oh Very Young"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great line in a great song! I love the music of Cat Stevens. "Morning Has Broken", "Wild World", "Peace Train"...just to name a few favourites.

      Delete
  4. What beautiful flowers! Thanks for sharing your garden with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. Once in awhile some pretty flowers are needed.

      Delete
  5. They are so beautiful, Martha! How you ever manage to leave your garden I don't know. And Hollyhocks remand me so much of my Mom. So nice to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Francie. Photography certainly pulls me out of there. And road trips. Can't say the same for chores. Or other related responsibilities. LOL...

      Delete
  6. You garden is spectacular! I am in awe. It must take a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Birdie. Most of the hard work is done in spring. Then the garden pretty much takes care of itself. A little weeding, now and again, and some minor chores during the summer. But that's about it.

      Delete
  7. All super duper nice. Really pretty.

    Not one stitch of garden work for me this year because I've had my head in the oven, and loving it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as you are doing what you enjoy, that's the best. I do all the tough garden chores in the spring, and then the garden takes care of itself. Pretty cool gig.

      Delete
  8. Terrific visit! Beautiful stuff! We certainly do need patience when we grow plants. However, I can check them every day to see progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same. Check to see the progress. And to photograph!

      Delete
  9. Oh Martha, I so needed this right now! Thanks so much for the garden walk. Wonderful photos of gorgeous blossoms.
    Our garden has taught me so much over the years and the most important was 'patience'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jim. Patience is definitely something you learn in the garden. It won't be rushed, no matter how much you try!

      Delete
  10. Your pictures are a visual feast, Martha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Martha.....
    Beautiful garden walk....love love love that Yellow Hollyhock♥️
    Enjoy the rest of your week....
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! You can't go wrong with Hollyhocks. They are so beautiful! I hope your week is going well :)

      Delete
  12. Love the shot of the drops of water on the various petals...and also of the yellow jacket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, I didn't notice that little critter until after I'd taken the photo. S/he sure is cute :)

      Delete
  13. oh sweetie these are outstanding, and the way you took them is a celebration wow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lorraine. The garden always makes me happy. I'll be sad to see it end soon.

      Delete