Friday, September 19, 2014

You’re Probably Around My Age If...

...you remember where the expression “Up your nose with a rubber hose” comes from.

Yup, that’s right, from the American television sitcom ‘Welcome Back Kotter’ that ran from the mid to late seventies. It was about a teacher that returns to the high school he attended to teach an unruly group of students known as the “Sweathogs”. My brothers and I used to watch it regularly. It was definitely a favourite.

OHMYGOSH...he was so young. But then...so was I at the time!

The main characters included Gabe Kotter (wise-cracking teacher), Julie Kotter (Gabe's wife), Arnold Horshack (the class clown), Freddie "Boom Boom" Percy Washington (the athletic Sweathog), Juan Luis Pedro Felipo de Huevos Epstein (the tough one) and Vincent "Vinnie" Barbarino (a cocky Italian-American, and "unofficial official" leader and resident heartthrob of the Sweathogs) played by none other than John Travolta.



John Travolta first became known after appearing in this show, and his popularity with the box office hits “Saturday Night Fever” and “Grease”. I had a wee bit of a crush on him those days.

For some reason, this show comes to mind at the start of a new school year. And then I find myself humming the theme song...



(I just know this'll stay in my head all day...)

Did you watch this comedy?

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!

24 comments:

  1. I do remember that popular series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't hit play. Don't want it in my head all morning. But the up your nose with a rubber hose, that's good stuff. They just don't write lines like that anymore.

    Just finished putting together a batch of bagel dough. Now ... I have an hour to hit chores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smart move. I played it a few times as I was getting this blog post ready, and it stayed in my head. All. Day. Long. Yes, they certainly don't write lines like that anymore!

      Homemade bagel dough...mmm... You rock, Wonder Woman!

      Delete
    2. No, seriously. They are super duper easy to make.

      Just visiting here this morning and the song is in my head.

      Delete
  3. Oh Martha, I sure did, and I remembered the song strangely enough i had forgotten about John Travolta....how's that possible? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. also you're six years younger than i am....thought i'd mention it

      Delete
    2. Well, John Travolta went off to make movies, so it's easy to forget that he started in a comedy. He was very funny in it.

      Delete
  4. Hi Martha!
    I was aware of the comedy, although I didn't watch it. I was living in Newfoundland when it premiered, going to university, and through some difficult personal times. I shudder to think of all the great series I've missed. Oh well! Have a good weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was much too busy and stressful a time for you to worry about a comedy series! Missing John Travolta's silly antics was the least of your problems...LOL...

      Delete
  5. Ah, warm and feel-good memories. Thank you, Martha. I could watch repeats all day long of one of Arnold Horseshack's "Oh! Oh Oh! Oh Oh Oh!"

    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. one of my favorites growing up ... loved how they said "Mr Kot-hare' and now I have that song in my head

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, the way they said "Mr Kot-hare" was hilarious! This was such a fun show.

      Delete
  7. Of course I watched that show. I'd forgotten it completely. I wish they'd re-run these, but they only seem to have old shows I hated like "Dukes of Hazzard."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also wasn't a fan of the "Dukes of Hazzard". I found that show very annoying.

      Delete
  8. haha .. you kid... I remember this well and I wasn't a kid ... I was in my early 30s! fun show... 'morning, Martha ... or afternoon or evening ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, now we're back to morning, so 'morning, Carolyn! :) I hope you had a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  9. Every girl in my school (except me) had such a huge crush on John Travolta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was pretty popular back then. And we all went nuts for him when the movie 'Grease' came out.

      Delete