Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Bikes and Sights: The Joseph Dominik Sensory Garden

“Cyclers see considerable more of this beautiful world than any other class of citizens.
A good bicycle, well applied, will cure most ills this flesh is heir to.”
- Dr. K. K. Doty -

We rode our bikes throughout the summer, covered a lot of ground in a relatively short period of time, and discovered interesting places and hidden spaces here, there and everywhere.

Like this gem that is a real treat for the senses...



This memorial garden is dedicated to the past president and former board member of Ongwanada; a non-profit organization that offers a wide range of individualized services and community support to hundreds of people with developmental disabilities and their families in Kingston and Eastern Ontario.



The first of its kind in my lovely city, the Joseph Dominik Sensory Garden is a therapeutic garden dedicated to sensory rich stimuli.

A variety of textures and shapes for fingers to explore.

Brightly coloured flowers to please the eye.

Herbs and edible plants to stimulate the taste buds.

Fragrant herbs and sweet-smelling blooms to tickle the nose.

Horticultural therapy is recognized as a practical and viable treatment, and individuals with physical and developmental disabilities benefit from such a well designed and peaceful setting.


This stone area can be filled with water for an interesting change to the environment.




And this remarkably soul-soothing, stress-relieving, mind-clearing and spirit-renewing garden is open to everyone, free of charge.




The Joseph Dominik Sensory Garden is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen, and we will visit it again and again.



Do you have anything like this in your area?

28 comments:

  1. Looks like a beautiful place to visit! I enjoyed the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very beautiful place. We just happened upon it, and what a wonderful surprise that was!

      Delete
  2. that is such a beautiful spot! and love the idea of getting the senses going

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thrilled that we have such a place here. Very cool!

      Delete
  3. Hello Martha girl ! ... what part of the city is this garden at ? ... it is wonderful that Kingston is trying to fill so many gaps with gardens ... I love that !
    October has been a bit of a wash out with so much rain eh ? ... I didn't get any pictures of trees with nicely coloured leaves in the countryside at all ... but a few plants in my garden have been beautiful so that filled my need ? haha
    I love your header and how you placed yourself in it girl ... very professional looking !
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya, Joy! Isn't this garden something? It's located on Portsmouth Ave, south of Johnson St. At the Ongwanada Resource Centre. We happened upon it while riding bikes. I had no idea it existed, and was quite surprised - and pleased - at this discovery!

      Yes, October was definitely a wash. Almost NO autumn photos this year. Not the best fall season we've ever had. And like you, I'm happy that I had my garden to snap photos in.

      Hope you're doing well, girl!

      Delete
  4. A sensory garden . . . what a wonderful idea! First I've heard of this! I wish we had one here in Edmonton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea about this garden until we happened upon it by chance. What a great find! It's the only one in the city, and possibly the only one in all of Ontario. Not sure about that; I'll have to check. And I'm not sure about the rest of the country. I'll have to check that, too. In any case, I think this is a great idea, and every city should have at least one!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely place, I don't know of anything like this in my area. It's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if there are any others in Ontario, Christine. It's possible this is the only one.

      Delete
  6. A beautiful place that not only appeals to the senses but offers rest and relaxation and a lift to the spirits should be in every town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Jean. Every town/city should have such a garden!

      Delete
  7. What a nice garden! Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. It is a beautiful place. We'll visit it again next year and take more photos.

      Delete
  8. It's a lovely space, Martha! And I love how it is accessible to people in wheelchairs. There are so many good things happening all around us, if we can see past the difficult things that come at us all the time. Happy Tuesday right back at you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it, Louise! There are many wonderful things happening all around us. We just need to 'see' them. And, above all else, appreciate them.

      Delete
  9. I've never heard of anything like that but I absolutely love the idea. Great photos - you really capture the spirit of the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first experience with such a garden. I think it's a wonderful idea, and every town/city should have one.

      Delete
  10. Somebody was really thinking when this was set up. As a former techer, I know how important using senses for learning is for some people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, someone was really thinking with this garden. I love the idea, and I hope more areas introduce them.

      Delete
  11. What wonderful photographs and such peaceful beauty! I want to go. There are gardens around Portland Oregon that i can visit, but none like this. I think we need one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think every place needs one, Mary! This is beautiful...and very beneficial.

      Delete
  12. Love it. Brilliant idea and what a fun way to spend time together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great way to spend time together. And biking was a huge factor in discovering new places like this one. So cool. Can't wait till spring so we can get back on our bikes regularly.

      Delete
  13. No we do not, Martha. This place is incredible! I remember taking an education course on sensory stimuli for academically challenged students and we each had to create a multi-sensory activity that students could use. I wish we access to something like this garden! What a wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a great idea, Jim. Very beneficial. More places should incorporate this. I was quite surprised when we stumbled upon it. I had no idea it even existed.

      Delete