Thursday, December 11, 2014

(Holiday) Question Of The Day

What is one of your most cherished holiday memories from childhood?


When I was about five or six years old, my parents left me and my two brothers in the care of a cousin so they could go out and do some Christmas shopping. When they got back, they hid all the gifts and we had no idea what they’d purchased. When Christmas morning finally arrived, I opened up one of my presents and SURPRISE! there she was: Dawn; the most beautiful doll I’d ever seen with long silky hair that was so shiny it looked like spun gold.

Isn't she adorable? Maybe just a little too heavy on the mascara.

Dawn made her debut in 1970. She was smaller than Barbie, and not as well made, but she was quite charming. She came with a world of accessories, an assortment of brightly-coloured clothing and quite a few friends. And most importantly of all: she was much more affordable.

Dawn and all her pals.

Even so, we were a working class poor family and spending money on toys – expensive or not - was a huge luxury. In order to purchase Dawn and surprise me on Christmas morning, my parents scrimped and saved over a long period of time. And that’s what makes this memory so special.

What is one of your most cherished holiday memories from childhood?

16 comments:

  1. I certainly understand why you would cherish this, gift full of love, I loved Barbie and Ken, I got those, but still to this day the tape recorder i received is the one that brought more joy than I ever thought oh yeah and a long pijama very warm down to my toe that had a sports sign on it I must have been \les Canadiens de Montreal , what else could it be? lol what great memories looking at yours, bravo Martha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, a tape recorder! I can certainly see how much fun that would be. My gosh, once upon a time tape recorders were a dream gift! How times have changed.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow! What a neat assortment of dolls--and they are in great condition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure are. Someone is keeping them in mint condition as these are not mine! My Dawn doll was donated a long time ago.

      Delete
  3. Love your story. One of mine, not necessarily holiday, was when I was about five and I went outside to a brand new swing set, I loved to swing. One of the happiest days of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a sweet memory! It doesn't matter when it happened, just that you were surprised like that. And so happy about it.

      Delete
  4. One of most special memories was the night I learned that there really was a Santa Claus. When I was four, something woke me up late on Christmas Eve. It was dark and dark outside my bedroom window. And then I heard it ~ the sound of reindeer hooves on the Miller's roof next door!!!!! My bedroom door was open, and I could see light shining through around the edges of my parents' bedroom door across the hall. In a panic, I called out to my parents, begging them to turn off their light so they wouldn't scare Santa away. I just knew after he left the Miller's that he would come to our roof. The light went out right away without a sound from my parents. I closed my eyes tight and pretended I was asleep so Santa would come. Of course, I was asleep in no time. When I ran downstairs the next morning, he had come!!!! I'll never forget the sound of those hooves ~ It still gives me a thrill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE this story. Oh my gosh...what a wonderful experience. I can just picture you as a little girl all excited and bouncing off the wall with all that energy. Proof that Santa exists. How could you ever doubt that? :)

      Delete
  5. When I was 8 years old I gave all my Barbies to a 12 year old!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Martha,

    I can most certainly understand your wonder and happiness over getting Dawn as a gift. I love dolls. Okay, I'm kidding :) I remember getting a bicycle when I was nine years old as a Christmas gift. Totally unexpected as my family were really struggling.

    Take care, Martha.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great gift. Which kid didn't love having a bike. I understand about struggles. That's what it was like for my family.

      Delete
  7. The one morning my brothers woke up before I did. However I was the first one to notice bikes on the side of the wall.

    ReplyDelete