Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Bikes and Sights: Downtown Kingston

“There is nothing, absolutely nothing, quite so worthwhile as simply messing about on bicycles.”
- Tom Kunich -

You don’t need to venture far to enjoy an adventure. Sometimes the best times are enjoyed closest to home. The photos below were taken while riding around the downtown area in the month of August. Remember warm days?

On this particular day there were sailing lessons going on.

Ducks enjoying a nap by the water on this very warm day.

There is always something interesting to see if you shut down the electronics, particularly the smart phones.

This is a city that enjoys water activities.

Kingston is a very old city made up of old and new, which makes it wonderfully scenic. The old forts are fun to explore and to photograph.



Across the downtown area you'll find the grounds of the The Royal Military College of Canada.




We decided to ride across and explore a little bit.

Many displays like this one can be found as you ride or walk along.

Take a guess as to who always dumps the bike on the ground.

There is no end to the interesting photos you can take on these grounds.

You can see Fort Henry from here. It's not very far from the college but we didn't visit it on this particular day.




Oh, look...a secret passage. Let's check it out and see what lies up ahead.



OHMYGOSH...

It's an alien. In shorts, no less! Well, it was very hot that day.

And how did we end this biking adventure? Like every other...

...with a scoop of ice cream!

Thank goodness for photographs taken during the warmer periods  that we can look back on during the bleak months of winter. They give us hope that there are better days ahead. It’s just a matter of time until they get here.

Have a lovely day, everyone.

35 comments:

  1. Thank you a good look round a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tour, just lovely, on a cold day like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A small reminder that there are nice days up ahead!

      Delete
  3. After all those calories burned riding the bike, yep, an ice cream is definitely in order! Gorgeous area to go biking in! I'm not sure how much exercise I would get though as I would always be stopping to look at something or to take a picture :) It is fun to look back on the adventures from warm days and to have hope that soon the weather will turn and warmth will return once again to the land :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do exactly that...stop often to take pictures. But we ride for miles and miles, so somehow or other we manage to get enough exercise.

      Delete
  4. The alien photo was excellent! They all were good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie. It was quite exciting to spot an alien.

      Delete
  5. Oh Girl, wow I love the views especially rivers, like you they bring me comfort and joy times always goes so fast it won't be long before you're showing new ones again, and won't that be a thrill ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure will be a thrill, Lorraine! I can't wait to get back on bikes. I'm counting the days.

      Delete
  6. Ice-cream is a good way to end the biking adventure .. the best way!
    Cute shot of you, Martha.
    Loved all the photos.
    Smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it, Margie. Ice cream is the best way to end biking adventures!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the reminder that spring will be here before we know it! Could use some sun and warm days here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure can. It's sunny today but cold. Oh well...half of a good thing is better than now :)

      Delete
  8. You really know how to get the most out of your cycling. I cycle a 1000 km a summer but I rarely stop to take in the scenery. My son spent two summers at the Kingston Military college and he thought Kingston was a very beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps this year you'll take some photos and share what you see on your biking adventures!

      Delete
  9. Ohhhhh, that second to last photo could be a movie poster, back of a book cover or something like that. Very good. Of course, ice cream works too. It's just not as scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may very well enlarge and print my alien image. It's kind of funny, too, with the shorts in it. Aliens get hot just like we do :)

      Delete
    2. They do get hot, I've seen it on the X-Files, before. Aliens wearing shorts.

      Delete
    3. Everything I know about aliens I've learned on the X-Files :) I loved that show.

      Delete
  10. Nice tour of your city! Loved the sailboats in your first shot. And what better way to end a day of cycling than with a frosty treat? (Although I'd probably pick a frosty beer, hee-hee!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like beer, so that wouldn't work. But I have been known to have a nice cold glass of white wine!

      Delete
  11. I really like the "olden" ship

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, you know that gorgeous schooner with the Nova Scotian flag caught my eye, Martha! And those fluffy clouds draw my eyes in every photo. I'm sure you earned that ice cream cone! Yum! Thanks for warming my snowy and cold day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is always something wonderful to see when you're out and about. I can't wait till those warm days roll in so we can get back out there and explore!

      Delete
  13. Oh how warm it all looks!! Just love your crystal clear photos of your beautiful old city, Martha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That warmth will return one day, Francie! And I can't wait.

      Delete
  14. There's this old song 70s or 80s called "Summer Girl" and I've always loved it, I think it's your song, you should listen to it if you find it I don't remember the singers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely listen to it. I'll look it up right now!

      Delete
  15. I have said it before and I will say it again.....I LOVE what you see, Martha!
    And I 'second' what Fundy Blue said about the Nova Scotia flag atop that schooner....which does look familiar actually. I have seen that ship in Halifax Harbour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've spotted that ship in different areas that we visit, so I imagine it really gets around. It's so much fun to see - and photograph!

      Delete
  16. Looks like an awesome way to end any adventure, Martha! The Royal Military College is a very impressive building, and I really liked the shots of the water/waterfront.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one of my favourite buildings; the architecture is quite impressive. My city is one of the oldest in Canada, so there are a lot of interesting historical sights. And yes, ice cream is the best way to end any adventure :)

      Delete