Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Bikes and Sights: Return To The City Of Belleville

“The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.”
- John Howard -

We loved the amazing trails in the lovely city of Belleville so much so that we threw our bikes into the car two weeks after our initial visit and returned for another cycling adventure. This time we biked Zwicks Trail and Kiwanis Bayshore Trail, both of which run along the beautiful Bay of Quinte; a long, narrow bay shaped like the letter "Z" on the northern shore of Lake Ontario. As you bike, walk or jog along, you will encounter natural landscapes, sports fields, meditative rest stops, picturesque playgrounds, boat launches, picnic areas, and so much more.

Here are a few photos of our visit that day...

In addition to being near the water, we were surrounded by greenery.

The dramatic clouds made for great photos.

The view was spectacular.

You just know we rode onto this.

The most amazing man in the world exploring. And posing for the camera.

Occasionally we strayed off the beaten path to explore abandoned buildings.

I'd never seen so any swans in one area as I saw that day.

I always get the feeling that swans know they're being photographed.

It threatened to rain the entire time we were there but we stuck it out.

There are many beautiful rest stops along the way.

Bay Bridge (Norris Whitney Bridge) connects Belleville to Prince Edward County over the Bay of Quinte.

Being creative underneath the bridge.

Stopping to take photographs at one of the many rest stops.

Eventually it did rain. In fact, there was a downpour. And it started five minutes after we got into our car and headed home. Talk about being lucky!

Thanks for coming along for the tour. Have a lovely day, everyone.

34 comments:

  1. These are so lovely, girl you know how much I love the water and the greens and all that you show that delights my heart and gives me hope, thank you !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, the water is my favourite. It's a setting the brings me peace. I know you understand that very well.

      Delete
  2. Good golly, you take fantastic shots.

    Good morning. Cold here today. A new bake to write, and crappers to clean.

    And I'm lovin' it. Cheers and boogie boogie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what's weird? Your blog post comes to my email long, long before it shows up in my blogger dashboard. No idea if it's just me or not. Sometimes Blogger is wonky.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Wonder Woman. Your passion is the kitchen; mine is the camera. At least we both do what we love best. And blogger is definitely wonky. I don't use it to check blog posts anymore. I've been on Bloglovin' for awhile now and I love it. Works better.

      Delete
    3. I was close to getting Bloglovin' but then reduced my dashboard and now I love that part of it, at least.

      Write me down for photography as well. It's in my blood. Love to shoot all kinds of things, but there's a special place in my heart for food photography.

      So fun.

      Delete
    4. Indeed. Your photography is great! Put it together with your food and you have mouthwatering shots. That'll be fabulous for the book you'll create.

      Delete
    5. Thanks, Martha. Love your photos.

      PS: We're on hold due to the health stuff, right now. But that's okay. Doors close, windows open.

      Delete
  3. That photo under the bridge is STUNNING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should have seen how excited I was when I ended up underneath and realized the creative potential. The most amazing man in the world is also the most patient. Always waiting while I take a gazillion pictures.

      Delete
  4. I liked the under the bridge picture the best. I wish we had bike trails here. They give you a couple of feet on the shoulder.
    Safety first! Not exactly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've got quite a few around here, which is really nice. And some nearby areas have even more than us, so we like to throw the bikes in the car and head there.

      Delete
  5. Nice sky shots! And I love the pic under the bridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great place to ride and take pictures. I only had a small point and shoot camera, but it was enough to capture some of the beauty of the area.

      Delete
  6. ahhh soothing and lovely photos today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something to give us hope that spring will return!

      Delete
  7. So glad the weather held for you and you were able to complete the bike riding you did without getting rained on! Such a pretty place to explore!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We made it out of there just as the rain started coming down. I'm so grateful that we were given enough time to explore the area. We'll go back again this year. No doubt about that.

      Delete
  8. It would be so much fun, at least while it lasted, to pedal down that dock at top speed and wheeee! into the water. It would not be fun after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I totally agree! I'd love to do that. But the part that wouldn't be fun is that I can't swim :)

      Delete
  9. nice photos of your bike ride

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful location, Martha! Simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, Jim. We will visit it again come the nice weather!

      Delete
  11. It's great to see some summer activities in the dead of winter. Somehow or other the vivid green makes me feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean! I feel the same way.

      Delete
  12. I LOVE that photo of the wooden pier. So awesome. Beate and I most definitely need to visit Belleville someday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come to Kingston and we'll all go to Belleville together :)

      Delete
  13. Love all your photos overlooking the lake! The sky is fabulous! Your captures of the bridge and of the swan are great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an incredible day to be there. I love when the clouds are dramatic like that. It was a bit tricky in sections where it was completely overcast (white sky is difficult for photography), but it worked out well. Give me a camera and set me free to explore!

      Delete
  14. Striking collection of photos, Martha! And what magnificent clouds! I think I've seen your stunning bridge photo before ~ It's spectacular and memorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, you've probably seen that photo on Facebook (in black and white). I posted when we had the challenge to post one black and white image a day for five days.

      Delete
  15. Beautiful day and very beatiful pictures. I would enjoy such a day outside biking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great day. Thankfully the rain didn't arrive until after we left.

      Delete