Tuesday, February 17, 2015

You Asked, I Answer (This and That)

Thanks to everyone who participated in my ‘Ask Me Anything’ post. For those who missed it and would like to join in, feel free to do so. There’s no expiry date. Just click here and be nosy inquisitive. My first post answers an assortment of questions. Let’s begin...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Happy Whisk (a.k.a Wonder Woman) asked:
What's the first thing you'll plant this spring?

My hands in the soil! And after that, new perennials to fill in the empty gaps. Counting the days...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The lovely poet, Margie, asked:
Do you like mornings or evening best?

I am an early bird. 100%! The tranquility of the morning hours really appeals to me. I’m usually up between 5:00 and 5:30 AM, no later than 6:00. On weekends I sometimes sleep in...till 7:00 *snort* I wrote about this on a previous post. And not only am I an early riser, I'm also super energized during those hours and very productive.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sweet and gentle Lorraine asked:
What do you do, when you're not out taking photos, any hobby?

You all know that my biggest passion is photography followed by gardening, and that my nose is in a book every chance I get. But what I’ve never mentioned is that I love to paint ceramic bisque. I don’t do it as often as I used to but in the past it was a huge hobby. I took classes for a couple of years, and went on to paint numerous pieces for my children and home. I also gifted many items to family members and friends, and even sold quite a few. Here are some photos of pieces I painted from days gone by...



At one point I was obsessed with dragons and castles and knights and wizards and so on, and decorated my home with many such pieces that I painted, most of which I still have displayed on bookshelves. Here are a few:


And that’s it for today. I’ll have more answers for you next week.

Have a wonderful Tuesday, bloggy pals!

33 comments:

  1. WOW those are superb Martha, you should show them heck you could sell them if you wanted to, they're gorgeous, geesh you're talented...don't forget my second question lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lorraine. I don't have all of these pieces now, but this hobby is one that I should really get back to on a regular basis. And I didn't forget your second question. I'm going to answer it on another post.

      Delete
  2. Awesome painting they all look wonderful . Very cold again here I am soo looking forward to spring and to get my hands in the soil and have different things and more colours to photograph . Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both, Country Gal! Spring won't arrive too soon!

      Delete
  3. Love the ceramics you painted! I'm looking for a hobby, might have to look into that! I am sure you are looking forward to getting outside and digging through the dirt!! Been a long cold wet winter I am sure!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You better believe it, Betty! Spring is my favourite season of the year and I'm really looking forward to its arrival.

      Delete
  4. So interesting about your painting hobby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the things I just never mentioned here. The cat's out of the bag now!

      Delete
  5. Oh, ceramics! Nice work indeed. Love the dragon curled around the castle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my favourite piece; my pride and joy! And it's very big. It's about three feet high.

      Delete
  6. I figured you were a morning person :)
    Gosh, love all those ceramics you have painted ...
    Spring will soon be here and you can get your hands into that warm and beautiful soil ...

    It's very wintry here today and we have about 8 inches of snow ...from 70 degrees on Sat to 16 this morning ... yikes ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't always that way, Margie, but after my kids came along things changed. But I also grew to love the morning hours over time.

      Delete
  7. I'm an early riser, too, but not by choice anymore. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how the morning hours came about for me...and stayed that way...

      Delete
  8. wow! well kept secret on the painting!! those are some really nice ceramics

    ReplyDelete
  9. You make an interesting post from the questions. What a painter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Red. I'm hoping you join in on the 'Ask Me Anything' post on your blog. I bet you'd write some really interesting things from the questions your followers will ask.

      Delete
  10. Yep, I'm an early bird too. I love the quiet of mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I was an early bird. Even when I go to sleep early, if I don't have to get up I rarely get out of bed before 9am

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not everyone can be an early bird. Some prefer to be night owls!

      Delete
  12. I have tried so hard to be a morning person but getting up at 6:00 is just not in me. I am like Adam, I get up around 9:00 on the days I don't work.Thank god for coffee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's perfectly fine, Birdie! We all have our preferences. I used to be a night owl in my younger years, but as I get older, I really love being up very early.

      Delete
  13. Your hands in the soil. Great answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's such a great feeling! Can't wait.

      Delete
    2. Pots out back for me, just some light herbs though.

      Delete
  14. I can't wait to get outside and start working in my garden as well. There's something peaceful about it (and it will mean spring is here!) Early morning is a beautiful time of day! BTW, I like your new "sidebar ad!" I may need to try that shampoo ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely peaceful! That is one of the things I love most about gardening. Can't wait till spring!

      Delete
  15. How cool, Martha! I especially liked your dragons, wizard, castle, and knight. I have never tried ceramic bisque. You are obviously very talented with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise. A friend got me into this hobby way, way back in my 20s. I've loved it ever since, but I haven't been doing it much since I started photography. Eventually I'll pick it up again. I really enjoy it, and it's a great hobby for the long winter months!

      Delete
  16. A very talented young lady!! Nice work Martha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jim! We all need to have hobbies we enjoy.

      Delete