Tuesday, March 3, 2015

You Asked, I Answer (This and That)

Here are some more answers to inquiries my blog pals made on my ‘Ask Me Anything’ post.


Linda asked:

What's the best place you've ever visited? The funnest vacation you've ever had?

I love to travel, so I always enjoy myself no matter where I am. But there are a few places that stand out.

1) Greece. I traveled there with my family when I was seven and spent the entire summer going from city to town to village to beach. Best vacation ever as a child. My brothers and I had an adventure-filled couple of months. I will post memories about that vacation some time this year.

2) Pennsylvania, D.C., and Virginia. In August 2008, my husband and I headed south with the kids and had a wonderful time touring these three areas. It was only a week long vacation but it was a week packed with sightseeing, exploration, discoveries and beach time. I could spend my life doing this!

3) Mexico. At the end of June 2002, I traveled to Riviera Maya for a week with the most amazing man in the world. This is way before we were married. In fact, I had just met him less than two months prior to this trip. I was a single mom at the time and after not having had any type of vacation for over 11 years, I had planned (before I met him) to treat myself to an all-inclusive getaway. I was intending to go alone while my kids were on vacation with their father. I mentioned it to my (then) new boyfriend (now husband) and he casually said “If you want a travel partner, I’m game.” So (after a day or two) I invited him to come along. It was spontaneous and exciting and we had a blast. We still talk about it years later!

My trip to Greece at age seven was also my first plane ride.
I'm on the left between my paternal grandmother and my brother (who's mad about something!).
My other brother is on the right, and the girls are first cousins from my dad's side.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

psychelyn asked:

What is something negative you think about quite often?

I have a pretty optimistic outlook and I'm more often than not very happy, so it’s extremely rare that I think about anything negative for extended periods of time. The health of my loved ones definitely crosses my mind (I fear that they will become ill), but I don’t dwell on it. There are things that I can’t control and worrying about them gets me nowhere.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chirasree asked:

So let me ask you to complete this sentence. "The day when I became a mother for the first time ............"

"...I knew my life would never be the same."

And it hasn't been. In a wonderful way.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Debra asked:

If you could go live in another historical time period, what would it be and why?

Well, here’s the thing: I wouldn’t. Unless I was forced to, I would never voluntarily choose to live in a previous era and give up the rights and freedoms we’ve gained, and all the scientific breakthroughs, medical advancements and inventions we enjoy in the present. If anything, I’d prefer to jump years ahead in hopes that we’ve matured as a species and (hopefully) become much more enlightened, empathetic and charitable. How far ahead? Oh, about 10,000 years or so! Maybe more.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And that’s it for this week. If you haven’t had your question answered yet, don’t worry, I’ll get to it. There are also a couple of questions that will have posts of their own because they're more profound; one of them might be yours.

Have a beautiful day, everyone!

40 comments:

  1. Good Morning Marthe,

    When you say: "I could spend my life like doing this!", this was one of the thing I started to plan for in 2001. It's why I started to read blogs. There is over a million of people that do just that in America, the fulltimers. I invited you to have a look at Ruth and Kevin, they are a Canadian couple who traveled in their motorhome all over. Here a link to their very first post when it all started for them:

    http://www.travelwithkevinandruth.com/2007/10/were-cookin-with-gas-now.html

    WARNING: Might be a life changing reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely check out that link! And don't tell anyone, but that's our plan in a few years. Sell the house, buy a recreational vehicle and tour Canada and the US for as long as we can take it. And living in a small space with each other :) But shhhhh...don't tell anyone, okay?

      Delete
  2. interesting answers. your granny looked very old in that photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was. And she had a very hard life, which made her age even more. But she was very healthy (mind and body) until she passed away in her 90s.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE that you respond to all questions. It's always such a pleasure to visit you Girl, you are a true inspiration, thank you ox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very sweet, Lorraine! Thank you for always being so kind.

      Delete
  4. Loved reading all your answers, I think your Mexico vaca was so romantic the way it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Mexico trip was amazing! I wish I could go back and do it all over again.

      Delete
  5. Good point about the futility of worry! It is unnecessary...and what we worry will happen is usually so much worse than what actually does happen.

    Sounds like you have had some interesting (and fun) vacations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found that worrying doesn't change anything; it just makes you more anxious.

      The vacations were all great! In my younger years, traveling was easier. Not so much later on. Hopefully I'll get to travel more in the future. We'll see.

      Delete
  6. Enjoyed reading about your travels; we went to D.C. eight years ago now and had the time of our lives too. So much tos ee there! I love your answer about motherhood, isn't that the truth?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D.C. is such an amazing place to visit! We had no idea it would be so much fun, and ended up wishing we had planned for a longer stay. I hope to visit again some day.

      Yes, life is never the same again once you have kids!

      Delete
  7. Love the photo of your Grandma with you, your siblings and cousins. She looks so proud of all of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was. And there were certainly enough of us...17 grandkids!

      Delete
  8. Hello greetings and good wishes.

    Very interesting to know that you have visited so many places. To interact with people of different countries, eat different foods, live in different climates, understanding different languages, experiencing different customs and practices are all rich life experiences which very few lucky people enjoy.

    The photo is lovely and very precious because it will always bring back wonderful memories of the past.

    The quote about worry is is excellent.

    Very interesting answers to the questions.

    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joseph. And you are right about interacting with different people and different cultures; they are very rich experiences, and something that I really enjoy. I wish I could travel to many different places and experience first hand cultures around the world. That is exciting!

      Delete
  9. I know that you have very positive outlook that is why I was curious how you deal with some negatives that cross your path from time to time. The quote about worrying is so right. Thank you for your answer.

    Nice childhood picture. It is always fun to look back at old pictures :) I would've recognized you even if you didn't tell which on you are in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I work at having a positive outlook. It certainly makes life so much easier. When I do worry, I focus on overcoming it by keeping busy or getting involved in things I enjoy. Photography, nature, gardening, cycling, being near the water, and so on. All these things are ways for me to deal with negativity and get rid of the toxicity. And it works.

      Delete
  10. Oh your trip to Greece sounds amazing! I'd love to explore Europe. Thanks for answering my question(s).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had family there, so it made it easier to go. My parents actually had to take a loan to go because we didn't have money, but they thought it was worth it for us to meet our grandparents at least once before they passed.

      Delete
  11. Love the picture. Look how cute you are! Dang, Greece is on my bucket list for sure. My son was lucky enough to go 2 years ago on a high school trip. Where did you travel in PA? I'm from York, which is Pennsylvania Dutch country right next to Lancaster. Beautiful countryside growing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for your son! My daughter did the same in high school; went to Europe her last year, which included a visit to Auschwitz. It was very emotional, she told me. She worked a part time job and saved up money for the trip; paid for it all herself. Amazing young lady.

      In PA, we visited Hershey and Lancaster, so we weren't far from you! I loved Pennsylvania. When we were driving through I couldn't get over all the greenery. So many trees!

      Delete
  12. Your answers are fascinating. When You started this idea for blog posts I wondered how it would work. Now I know that I will always have something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should join in. You create fun posts and it would be interesting to read your answers to some questions.

      Delete
  13. All good stuff. Also, I love the daisy shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You noticed! They were really cute. Not good to run with but cute.

      Delete
  14. Fabulous questions and answers - and I love that picture of you in Greece. Such an interesting place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Francie! So beautiful. I visited again when I was 26, and that was the last time.

      Delete
  15. I like rocking chairs. Last week, a situation drove me batty, and I rocked in my recliner for an hour. Might sound weird, but it worked!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would like to visit D.C. one day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you are able to, go. You will really enjoy it. So many museums and interesting sights!

      Delete
  17. Great hearing your answers! You've been to some fantastic locations. I still haven't been outside the USA yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your country alone has so many amazing places to visit!

      Delete
  18. Thanks Martha........it can be daunting to "let it all out sometimes"!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great replies, Martha. Thanks for letting us know you a little better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a fun series. You should consider joining in!

      Delete
  20. Thank you for linking to your "good old days" post. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to read it, Jen! You're probably the only one. I don't remember what it was, but it was triggered by something that someone said. Some things need to be remembered.

      Delete