Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Getting Away From It All

For everyone that guessed yesterday that we were in Cuba last week, you are right! This question was easier for Canadians because we have been traveling there for decades while Americans have been restricted.

Walking around the airport in Montreal as we wait for our flight. We got there by train from Kingston.

I took a bazillion photos but I need time to organize them, so today I’m going to explain why we booked this trip and only share some ho-hum images taken on our departure date. I promise there’ll be lovely glimpses of Cuba in future posts.

So many flights that day; some of them in exotic and exciting places.

When my 50th birthday was approaching, the most amazing man in the world asked me if I wanted a party or if I wanted to go on a trip somewhere. Asked me, the introvert, to choose between a party or vacation.

Is that our plane out there? Let's go see...

Our original plan was to tour our country's east coast in August, which we discovered is quite pricey. And with everything that’s going on this year, it’s just not financially possible. So we settled on a tropical getaway. (Sorry Ron, Jim and Sophie! I won't get to meet you this summer, after all. *sniff*)

Yessiree, that's our ride to Cuba.

Initially we chose Curacao; one of the Caribbean’s best kept secrets. We got so close to booking it but when we found out that the travel restrictions for Americans to Cuba – the home away from home for Canadians - are going to be lifted, we switched gears.

Bye bye grey day!

No matter how old I get, I'll always be fascinated by our ability to fly.

This was my second visit to Cuba (I was there in 1991), but the first for my husband. And on my previous trip, I hadn’t visited Havana, the country’s capital, and this was a major incentive. Because you must – MUST - visit Havana.

Nothing to do but take photos of clouds.

I wish I could reach out and touch the clouds.

So that’s the story. In upcoming posts I’ll share images of the area and write a little about it.

After a long day of traveling, we are heading to our hotel room.

And I am telling all friends south of the border to visit this country if you can when travel restrictions are lifted. It is beautiful and unique. And for fellow Canadians who haven’t gone yet, GO. Go right now while it's still our exclusive playground. Before it becomes too crowded. And too expensive.

Have a lovely Tuesday, everyone.

34 comments:

  1. Your plane photos look amazing, why don't mine look so good? Can't wait to hear your Cuba impressions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun taking shots of the clouds. I am always fascinated by the fact that we rise above them.

      Delete
  2. Glad you had fun. Sorry to hear it won't be a good place to visit, for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be great for the Cuban people to bring in more tourism. It'll boost their economy.

      Delete
  3. What lovely photos, especially of the blue sky and lazy clouds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, blogoratti. It's fascinating seeing the clouds from above.

      Delete
  4. I have never been but it's a place I would like to visit, so look forward to all your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever get a chance, you should go. You will really enjoy it.

      Delete
  5. I laughed at your comment about an introvert choosing between a trip and a big party! So true. Looking forward to seeing your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? What a silly question to ask an introvert!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a great way to celebrate your 50th! I would have picked that too over a party, though I would have to go somewhere where I didn't have to fly :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never give up an opportunity to travel. No party for this girl!

      Delete
  7. A 'bazillion' eh! I figured you would Martha. Looking forward to seeing your take on Cuba/Havana.
    Too bad we won't see/meet you this summer. But there will be another time. If we ever get our butts moving westward in the future, you will be on our list.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was heartbroken about not being able to book that trip east this year. We had planned to tour most - if not all - of the provinces. Neither one of us has ever seen anything more than Quebec and Ontario in our great country, so it's a trip we were excited about. But there's just too much going on, including my daughter's move to university at the end of August. Yes, there will be another time.

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful way to celebrate a milestone birthday! Can't wait to see all the photos from your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello greetings and good wishes.

    Fabulous birthday present. Lovely photos of the airport and the photos of the clouds are amazing. I can feel the great excitement you must have felt while you were at the airport. Surely, Cuba must have changed a lot since your last visit. Waiting to see the other photos of Cuba.

    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was very excited at the airport. And now, I can't believe it's all come and gone. Time passes so quickly. But I'm grateful that we were able to take this trip. It was very relaxing and very much appreciated.

      Delete
  10. I think there is nothing like a nice break from it all. Good for the both of you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet, Richard! Sometimes getting away from it all is exactly what we need.

      Delete
  11. I've always wanted to visit Cuba. I look forward to your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very beautiful country. And the people are so warm and friendly. I have a lot of images to share and they'll give you a glimpse of the area.

      Delete
  12. I loved your ho-hum photos, Martha! Probably because every time I travel, I take photos of the same things! LOL! Can't wait to see your bazillions of photos. My niece's were typical 22-year-old's. More posing with friends than Havana!

    I read your recent story-of-your-life posts, but didn't comment on them. I think your life turned when you said the words, "Lock him up." I know I've said it before, but it's true: You are so brave to share this. Loved all the photos, especially the one of your brother with his niece.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At 22, I would have been doing the same! But now that I'm older, I love photographing the world around me and also learning about its history. And Cuba has a long and interesting history. Havana was an amazing place to visit. We only went for a day tour and it just wasn't enough time. You can easily spend an entire week exploring and photographing the area and its people!

      Delete
  13. How wonderful Girl, it's a lovely place I hear, my son got married there, of course because of my agoraphobia I couldn't go but they brought me the tape to watch with them, it was glorious... so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you had to miss that, girl! But that is totally understandable with agoraphobia. And you were able to see all of that beautiful day on top and through pictures.

      Delete
  14. So true about the introvert nixing a party!!! Every time!
    I believe the travel restrictions for the US were actually lifted several months ago. We have family and friends who have already been to Cuba within the past few months and loved every minute. The photos we saw were amazing. What a beautiful gem so close to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is freer tourism for Americans but there are still guidelines in place (link, link) but I imagine it won't be much longer until there are no barriers. While we were there we didn't encounter a single American, and considering that the US is at least 10 times the size of Canada, that certainly says a lot. The tour operators and airlines in the US are undoubtedly very busy preparing for the upcoming travel.

      Delete
  15. can't wait to see the pics! I've been wanting to go to Cuba for a long time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's well worth a visit. It is beautiful and unique and out of the ordinary. You will feel like you've stepped back in time.

      Delete
  16. I would never have guessed Cuba! For some reason, I have never thought of it as a very nice place, but the beach in the post before this is amazing! I'm surprised by the lovely photos from your trip. Glad it went well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny but before I traveled there for the first time (back in 1991), I had the same impression; I'm not even sure why. And when I finally got there, I was stunned at how gorgeous it was. And how warm and friendly the people are. It's also a very safe place to travel to, which adds to its appeal. Tomorrow I will show images of the beach. For those who have never been, I think they will be surprised.

      Delete
  17. My sweet niece just returned from there, stayed at a resort but still enjoyed the lovely beach and friendly locals :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is wonderful. I've no doubt she had a great time. We stayed in a resort, as well, but ventured out into a couple of local areas where we mingled with the locals. Very friendly people.

      Delete