Saturday, June 20, 2015

Our Story (19): Face To Face

“And all along I believed I would find you
Time has brought your heart to me
I have loved you for a thousand years
I'll love you for a thousand more”
(A Thousand Years by Christina Perri)

(continuing from last time...)

And then I saw him.

Our eyes locked and time stood still.

His handsome face, his friendly smile, his kind eyes – it was just as I’d hoped and dreamed and imagined. It was like meeting up with a best friend that I had lost touch with; his presence was familiar and comforting and soul-soothing. There were a thousand things I wanted to say, to catch up, to fill him in on everything that he had missed. It felt as if we were just continuing from where we left off, that our souls had been separated for the longest time and finally reuniting. Finally coming home.

It should have seemed crazy and irrational and surreal and even frightening. But it didn’t. It felt right. Wonderful. Safe. I was lost in the warmth of his beautiful eyes where I could see everything I’d ever needed and everything I’d ever wanted. I knew right then and there that this was the end of a solitary journey that had included fear and betrayal and pain and many tears. And the beginning of forever. A forever that would be filled with joy and trust and laughter and love. Every breath, every step had brought me to this very moment. To this very man.

The spell was finally broken when we started laughing as we each waved in the air an unexpected and thoughtful gift we’d brought for the other. His gift to me was a bag of my favourite candy that I’d mentioned to him I treat myself to at the end of the most stressful and exhausting days. And my gift to him was a Calvin and Hobbes book because he’d mentioned on the phone and even written in an email how much he enjoyed the cartoons “Calvin? Ahh! Sheer genius. Now there’s a kid whose thought processes I can relate to. I can never finish one of those books without ending up rolling on the floor in tears.”

And the date that started around 4 PM and should have been short and sweet, or as he’d put it in an email “Nothing stressful, just for a coffee or something”, lasted until 1:00 in the morning. It was the most amazing day I’d ever had. Heartwarming. Uplifting. Magical. And it could easily have gone on forever.
"The first time, ever I saw your face
I thought the sun rose in your eyes"

At midnight, we finally got to that cup of coffee and spent the next hour talking about anything and everything. And as I sat listening to him, dizzy, my mind hazy, all I could think about was how easy it was being with him. And how much I wanted to kiss him. So when he drove me home that night, I did just that. When he stopped in front of my house, I leaned over to give him a quick kiss and when our lips met I felt electricity run through me. Our eyes locked once more, I wished him good night and stepped out of the car. He waited until I was safely inside, and as I waved good-bye, my very spirit soared with happiness.

The next morning I woke up to an email titled “Blown Away” that he’d sent after he’d gotten home, which included:

“Just wanted to take a minute to thank you for a wonderful evening. You're an absolutely awesome woman... I thoroughly enjoyed your company and wish the night could have gone on forever. I'd also like to thank you for the two great gifts. The first I will chuckle at in a few minutes and the second I will dream about the rest of the night...”

The next day we did it all over again that included yet another heartwarming email from him:

“I just had to say good night one more time. I just had to thank you for the pleasure of your company one more time. And I just had to tell you (one more time) that you're the most amazing woman I've ever met.”

And 13 years later, our love story is still going strong. Not a day goes by that I don’t wake up grateful for this incredible man who is kind and gentle and generous and patient and loving. A man who has not only been good to me but also good for me. Not a day goes by that I don’t wake up grateful for this incredible life we share. This amazing journey we are on. A happily ever after that I dreamed about every day of my life until our paths crossed.

Our happily ever after.


(Please come back this upcoming Friday, June 26, for the final post of this series. I will share a few thoughts and something special I’ve put together).

Click here for the conclusion to our story.


And if you've never heard this song, take a moment to listen to it. It'll hug your heart.



Have a beautiful day, everyone.

42 comments:

  1. truly heart warming story, and two people that are so wonderful together and so deserving of an amazing life together. Encore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I would go back and do it all over again. It was a very exciting time.

      Delete
  2. So finally I get to the happy ending. I am not a romantic but you had my attention on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, finally the happy ending. It took its time getting here but better late than never.

      Delete
  3. I love that song, and thank you for sharing so openly your story of true love! Looking forward to next week's finale! Online dating can be a wonderful way to meet, it is just a new way. It is perhaps harder for older people to embrace. For myself I am proud to say I just joined Spotify web music, it is free and I kept reading about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of Spotify, so I checked it out. Looks very cool. Enjoy!

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful story! Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a wonderful story, have so enjoyed reading it all the way through

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! I'm glad I got it out there. I really enjoyed putting it together.

      Delete
  6. I have so enjoyed reading these posts. I have nothing to say except, "sighhhhhhh".

    Does he read your blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but not every day. Every now and then he gets on and binge reads. He has been reading this story although I don't think he's completely up to date.

      Delete
  7. Having been one of the lucky ones to actually meet him, I totally understand. He has such a wonderful aura about him and you are very well matched!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Francie. It was a real pleasure to meet you. We both thoroughly enjoyed the time with you.

      Delete
  8. A really heart warming story Martha. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read #18 skipped right onto #19 ~ oh wow ~ I felt like I was reading a love story just waiting to be told ~ hey ~ I was!!

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following it, Ron! It was fun putting it together. The first parts were a little tough but since I'm living my happily ever after, at least I already knew that there was a happy ending!

      Delete
  10. Martha, it is so generous of you to share this wonderful story with us. It is something that not too many people experience and you are truly fortunate to have done so and continue to do so.
    I still think this would make a great TV movie! get that script started!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Thanks, Jim. If the studios contact me, I'll truly give it some thought :)

      Delete
  11. I'd listened to the Piano Guy's rendition of A Thousand Years, but hadn't realized what the lyrics were (or that there were lyrics). It goes so well with your story.

    I love your story. It makes me want to laugh--and cry! So sweet, and so wonderful that you found each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This tune is beautiful. Both music and lyrics are wonderful.

      Thanks for reading it, Bethany. Everyone can have a happily ever after. You just need to believe. And to choose wisely!

      Delete
  12. At my wedding, we'd used A Thousand Years in place of Here Comes the Bride

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously? That is beautiful! I imagine you videotaped it all. It would be great to see that part! Consider sharing it!

      Delete
  13. So sweet!!! So worth the wait, just so sorry so much pain to get there.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding him after all that was well worth all that struggle!

      Delete
  14. Just lovely and heart-warming.

    Thank you for so much for sharing.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following this story, Jan. I really appreciate that.

      Delete
  15. I just wrote you because darn blogger wouldn't let me finish reading your love story. But now I'm back. Great series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I really enjoyed putting it together. A little tough in the first posts but knowing that there's a happily ever after made it all better.

      Delete
  16. This is beyond sweet and romantic, it's magic and it's beautiful. I'm uplifted, Martha.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gosh Girl you had me in tears of joy for you and him, and the song oh my perfect for u two..i'm so happy for you, so very happy and he is, just as you are as wonderful and handsome/beautiful as when you first met. I am so happy for you, so, so happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorraine! I am grateful that he came into my life. And grateful for friends like you!

      Delete
  18. I read your story until I left to visit Canada, and now | have just caught up, and it was wonderful to see how magical your life turned out after you met him... plus what a handsome fella he is, makes the magic even better... well done and congratulations on your 11th anniversary.. I had a similar story, and I will celebrate my 25th with my second husband in this September.. Not met on line, but I interviewed him for work!!*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet your story is quite interesting! And 25 years at that. That is wonderful!

      Delete
  19. Oh my goodness. I'm so glad I followed these links back and read your story! This part especially reminded me of the hubster and I. Our first date was a bit nervous/excited and structured. Our second date lasted all day and more! The gal I lived with was texting me "WHERE ARE YOU!? ARE YOU DEAD? YOUR MOTHER'S GONNA KILL ME!" Time stops and flies all at once when you're with that special person, right? :o) Thanks for sharing and so glad I read! So happy for you <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hannah! Yes, time does stop when you are with that special person :)

      Delete
  20. Martha...I'm SO HAPPY that you gave me the link to your story, it's so wonderful...I mean, the ending that is! :)

    The first half of your story could have been me. When I was much younger, I started a relationship with an emotionally abusive boy. I only stuck around for less than a year, but everything you described I went through. I was convinced it was "the way things were" in relationships and that I deserved all the name calling, silent treatment, swearing, mockery, yelling and anger. After all that's how I was brought up, so what was the difference? In a way, the burnout saved my spirit and my life. The way you described the online dating made me giggle...I met ALL of those men lol...I dated for nearly 2 years, and met dozens of guys over that time...most of them were all horny for an older woman lol...and I was also living that Rodney Dangerfield joke ha ha...so I had some fun. But I knew it wasn't serious. I really was looking for my soul mate and the way you describe meeting the most amazing man in the world is how I'd describe meeting Alex! Thank you so much for sharing! I hope you get this comment!!! :) Kudos to you for coming through the darkness...it's a vicious cycle, abuse/honeymoon...guilt and doubt as it chips away at your self-esteem, basically leaving you helpless. I'm so happy I met you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Rain, thank you :) I'm happy I met you, too. You're an amazing woman. It took me years to get out of this terrible position I'd gotten myself into but at least I'm out. And the bonus was meeting my most amazing man. When you're in a circle of abuse, any type, you don't even realize you're in it. Everything starts off nice and the changes are consistent but slow, so you don't even notice the shift. It is very much a vicious cycle once you're in it. Your self-esteem is eroded and you even blame yourself for all the incidences. That's all in the past now. But you know what? It took me several years after my ex and I split before I stopped shaking whenever I was in his presence. That's the kind of effect his manipulation and emotional blackmail had on me.

      Anyhow, thank you for taking the time to read this story. Did you read the final part? There is one more after this (there's a link above). This one's the second to last.

      Hope you've had a wonderful day!

      Delete