Wednesday, October 21, 2015

You’re Probably Around My Age If...

...you remember these two best buddies. And wanted to have a dog just like this one.

Image from Wikipedia

Remember Lassie, the television series from 1954 – 1973 that followed the adventures of a collie and her human companions? I was a huge fan. HUGE. My absolute favourite episodes – a three part series - were the Odyssey I, II and III, where Lassie is accidentally locked in a truck making deliveries out of town. When she finally gets out, she’s hundreds of miles from home and has to somehow find her way back, which she adamantly strives to.

In the meantime, her best bud, seven-year-old Timmy Martin, is worried about his lost companion. An attempt is made to locate Lassie, but she is not found. After quite some time has passed, a heartbroken young Timmy gives up hope of ever seeing Lassie again and decides to gather up her toys and bury them in their secret spot (Timmy carved his and Lassie's names in an old hollow log. Then he buried a bone there as a pact dedicating it as their "secret, special place”. Cute, no?) Anyway, as he’s about to bury her toys, he hears a familiar bark over the hill and drops his shovel...

Well, let me tell you, the part where Timmy and Lassie are running toward each other...well, that part had me sobbing uncontrollably. And the part where they finally reach each other and come together in a joyous union of tears and fur? I thought I was going to pass out with all the overwhelming emotions I was experiencing. Never mind how exhausted I was from all the tears I shed. Timmy and Lassie were together again! [insert uncontrollable sobbing]

Do you remember this show?

34 comments:

  1. Thanks for bringing back that wonderful tv memory, Martha! I loved Lassie as a girl, although I couldn't always watch it because we sometimes lived where there was no tv reception. Have a lovely day, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just caught up on a few posts I missed, Martha! You always share thought-provoking things, like being grateful for quiet. I couldn't function if I couldn't have a quiet time away from people and the world. I loved the memory you shared about your father teaching you to ride your bike, and I remember how he was by your side when your first marriage was disintegrating. Your mom too! As for today, I will ease my way through everything I do; something my body is demanding I do! I loved the ancient grammar police chuckle, btw! Have a good one!

      Delete
    2. Quiet time is so vital at times, isn't it? It certainly helps to recharge my batteries. And I tell you, I won the 'parent' lottery when I was born. My folks...my goodness...the kindest and most loving people. Thank goodness I had them always there for me. I couldn't have asked for better parents. I miss my father horribly at times but at least I have a lifetime of wonderful memories.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, I remember the TV Lassie show. But my favourite was the old Lassie movie that was made with Roddy McDowell. I think I read the book it was based on too. And we DID have a collie dog when I was a little girl -- her name was Lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a collie as an adult. I named her Vixen. Beautiful dog. Lots of hair though.

      Delete
    2. I am so envious of both of you! What I wouldn't have done as a kid to have my own 'Lassie'! I'm not sure I know about the Lassie movie. I'll have to look it up.

      Delete
  3. Loved this show; I don't remember these particular episodes you listed here, but I think I too would have been an emotional wreck too until they were reunited :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even begin to tell you how emotionally-draining those episodes were, Betty. I was a mess :)

      Delete
  4. I did watch Lassie, in black and white if I remember correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am unaware of this show, it goes way back I can see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Then there is this...

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/29/what-if-lassie-were-a-cat_n_629000.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahahaha! That was funny. I expected the cat to start cleaning its butt at some point :)

      Delete
  7. I have seen some episodes but not the entire show . When I was a kid on the farm one of our neighbors had a Collie like this named Honey I loved her and we became best friends ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honey. What a wonderful name for a collie. I love it!

      Delete
  8. Great memories, I do remember this show!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I hate to admit this but I've heard of this series but never saw it that I can remember. It must have been a kids series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it really was a series more for kids. At least that's how I remember it.

      Delete
  10. I don't really remember the show but I remember wanting a collie, then I wanted a border collie, and somehow I ended up wanting a poodle... which I got and now I think maybe he's a bit too smart! Good walk down memory lane :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE border collies. For a long while, I was sure I'd get one. Maybe one day.

      Delete
  11. Oh yes and I cried and cried, so wonderful... there were a movie made about a dog who had lost his way, and when he finally finds his family and they run to him, I cried again a lot...such emotional reunion, best shows ever....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I become an emotional mess with animal stories, Lorraine. It is definitely a weakness for me. I've been overly sensitive this way since I was a very young child and it grows deeper and deeper over time.

      Delete
  12. Great series ... and my best friend and her family had a dog called Laddie ... great memories.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Lassie is a wonderful show! I've watched several episodes on Youtube with my youngest sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is what I love about YouTube...that you can check out programs such as this one! So much fun.

      Delete
  14. I've never seen it but I often hear someone saying, "Did Timmy fall in the well?"

    ReplyDelete
  15. So much trouble for such a young age for a dog that cool to save every week :)

    ReplyDelete