Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Resolutions, Goals, Plans...And So On

The holidays are over and a whole new year begins. I don't make resolutions but I do set goals and think about what I'd like to accomplish. Then I work on them as best as I can. There are a few things I'll be focusing on in 2016 but I'll keep this post short and share three.


1) Selling our home and downsizing. As a minimalist, the thought of getting into a smaller space with less stuff, less monthly costs, less cleaning, less maintenance...and more freedom!...makes me ecstatic. And all these changes will undoubtedly produce some interesting blog posts.



2) I've started a happiness jar. What is that? It's a simple but joyful concept that was started by Elizabeth Gilbert, the author of Eat, Pray, Love. Here's what you do:

At the end of each day, write down something that made you happy and put it in a jar. Or add something that brightened your day like a photo, movie tickets, a quote, etc. That's it. This simple project will motivate you to look for something good in every day. At the end of the year, open up the jar and read about all the things that made you smile. You'll have forgotten most of those moments, so it'll be a nice surprise!



3) I'm committing to a photography project, 'Project 366', where I'll be taking one photo per day, every day. This will help me practice my photography skills and it'll be fun. For now I'm concentrating on one theme per week but that may change over time. We'll see how it goes.

And I'll be sharing these images with you every Friday. Stay tuned...



That's it for now.

How about you? Any resolutions, goals, plans...and so on?

32 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the happiness jar idea. You are so right that we will forget about all of the good things that make us smile on a daily basis. That is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been hearing about this happiness jar for a long time and finally decided to give it a go. Should be interesting!

      Delete
  2. How cool with the photos; can't wait to see what you post for them :) I like the idea of the happiness jar; it would be fun for any ages, but imagine doing it with kids and then going through what is in the jar on 12/31/2016. Fun to look back on the year. I personally loved downsizing; my hubby is more of a pack rat but he is starting to become a recovering pack rat in that he is now willing to let go of things when before it was hard to get him to do so. I think it is so freeing to live so simply :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think doing this with kids would be a lot of fun. I wish I'd thought of it when my girls were little!

      As a minimalist, I'm a huge fan of smaller spaces and less stuff. Because like you, I find it so freeing to live so simply!

      Delete
  3. Great goals! My main goal is feeling like myself again and I have some littler goals to go along with that... Hmmm makes me think, feeling like myself again is kind of one of those "do by not trying as hard" or "try too hard and it won't happen" gonna be an interesting-hopefully zen-year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to Photo Fridays. Wishing you success on your goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Toni. It should prove to be quite interesting!

      Delete
  5. 366 days? Is 2016 a leap year? *checking calendar* Yes, it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure is. I have no idea either until I thought about starting a photo project!

      Delete
  6. I like the happiness jar idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to lose a few pounds! Great about the happiness jar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both, Christine. I find as I get older, it gets harder. My metabolism seems to have really slowed down!

      Delete
  8. Just love the idea of 'The Happiness Jar' such a good and positive thing to do.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Jan. It'll be fun reading everything at the end of the year.

      Delete
  9. I sporadically update a blog with "three beautiful things", similar to the Happiness Jar, three things each day that I appreciated. Thanks for reminding me to start doing that again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check that blog out, Natalie. I didn't know you had another blog.

      Delete
  10. I like the happiness jar. I know who could do with it around here. (Oh that's nasty!)I wondered what was going on when I saw the 366 thing the other day. Yes. this is a leap year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't help but smile with that comment :) I'm sure you were just joking!

      Yes, this is going to be a leap year. I didn't realize it until I looked into participating in the photography challenge.

      Delete
  11. My secret to downsizing is to keep a cardboard box near the entrance to your home. It has to be where you can see it! Whenever you see something that you don't use or need put it in the box. When the box is full get rid of it. I have purged hundreds of pounds of junk that way.

    I love the jar idea! I am going to do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a great idea, Birdie! Perfect way to get rid of unneeded items. I donate stuff a few times a year and it keeps our place clutter-free. Our upcoming move will really trim back crap! I'm so looking forward to that.

      Delete
  12. I've heard of the happiness jar, I might try that next year

    ReplyDelete
  13. What good goals to have, Martha. Good luck with them all.
    I have never been one to make resolutions.....maybe because I know I'd never keep them!
    My daily goal has always been to find the positive and happiness in people and situations. Some days it is tough but I surprise myself at times.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the first one, second one I do automatically, can't help myself lol , Go Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I hope I see you often in 2016 in blogging land!

      Delete
  15. No resolutions for me but I can't wait to see your photo project posts. Sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the idea of the happiness jar. But i am too lazy to start collecting stuff. i am even a bit absent on my own blog :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it might be a little difficult but so far the happiness jar is no trouble at all. A few seconds a day. Your blog is fun and it would be nice to see more posts from you, but life gets in the way :)

      Delete