Tuesday, January 12, 2016

The Liebster Award, Questions and Random Things

Toni from Wandering and Wondering nominated me for the Liebster award; a fun way for bloggers to learn more about each other. I’ve never received this honour before, so I’m quite flattered. Thank you, Toni!

I’m supposed to answer 11 questions and post 11 random things about myself. So here goes...


1] Which literary genre do you prefer?

I read a lot of different things but my favourite is fiction. I know too much of what’s going on around the world, some of it downright nasty, so I need an escape from reality. Regularly.


2] Why did you start blogging?

All the cool kids were doing it and I wanted in.


3] Order or chaos?

Order. But not rigidity.


4] Where would you like to live?

Somewhere warmer near the beach. With the most amazing man in the world by my side, of course.


5] Starry sky or sunset?

Sunset. Nothing quite like it. Especially if you enjoy photography.


6] Paper book or e-book?

Paper. Dropping a paper book into the bath, which has happened to me after dozing off, is much less painful than dropping an electronic device.


7] What is the writing for?

Because I have something to say.


8] TV or not TV?

Not TV. I haven’t watched anything on TV at its scheduled time since my younger daughter was a year old. That was 17 years ago. Nor do I follow any popular or recent shows. The most amazing man in the world and I record a handful of programs that we watch together but we typically enjoy movies or binge-watch long running series, many times older ones. Right now we’re enjoying the X-Files. And right before that we zipped through Seinfeld.


9] What do you think about social networks?

I love being able to connect with family and friends, and meeting new people from around the world. That being said, I also don’t let social media take up too much space in my life. I’m able to disconnect and shut down easily.


10] Favorite food?

Pizza. The world became a better place when it was invented.


11] Favorite music genres?

Classic rock. But I’m open to just about anything. If I like a song, I like it. Makes no difference what genre it is.



1. I cannot wear turtle necks or any clothing that has a high neckline. I feel like I’m being strangled or that I’m suffocating.

2. During the first year of high school, I tried out for, and made, the basketball team. But since none of my friends were joining, I didn’t pursue it. I’m not a sports fan, so I’ve no regrets about this.

3. I hate ironing so much that I become hostile when I have to do it. There must be some interesting psychology involved here.

4. Because of some (not very pleasant) past experiences, I can detect toxic people, bullshit and manipulation from a mile away. I consider this a superpower.

5. I was once lifted up into the air by a tidal wave and tossed several metres across the shore. This is what you get when you visit a tropical destination during hurricane season. Remarkably (and thankfully) enough, my bikini stayed put.

6. Sometime in my 30s, I experienced sleep paralysis, which is a feeling of being conscious but unable to move, speak or react. I felt like I was being held down and that there was someone – or something – evil in the room. It was one of the most terrifying experiences I’ve ever had.

7. I always save a small portion of my favourite part of a meal till the end, so the last bite of food leaves a good taste in my mouth. Quirky but satisfying.

8. Food with a slimy texture (ex: oysters, mussels) makes me gag.

9. Materialistic, arrogant, self-absorbed, snobby people also make me gag.

10. Sometimes I mentally slap people upside the head when they say stupid shit or behave like assholes. It makes me feel better and no laws are broken.

11. I’m not bothered by bats, snakes, centipedes or spiders. But pill bugs and silverfish freak me out!

--------------------------------------

And that’s all she wrote. Now I’m supposed to nominate 11 other bloggers but I won’t put anyone on the spot. Like Adam or Christine or Betty or Gail or Deb or Jan or Beate or Birdie or Louise or Jim or Red… No, I won’t impose. But if anyone chooses to volunteer to answer the same questions and state some random things about themselves, all the better. *smirk*

Have a lovely day, everyone.

36 comments:

  1. I had sleep paralysis a few times, also in my thirties. Terrifying. That sense of an evil presence, but you can't even turn your head to see... I have read that some people think this is the origin of a lot of belief in visitation by aliens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That alien comment is so interesting! I'd never heard of that before.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you on #7. I always think about what I want as my finishing bite of food in a meal. I also had sleep paralysis once. I knew what it was so I didn't freak out too much, but it is a weird sensation! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea what it was at the time, so you can imagine how freaked out I was. Once I learned about it, it made more sense.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for thinking of me; I might just do this down the line :)

    Congrats on the award! I occasionally get sleep paralysis, I thought it was nightmares, but it is an icky feeling indeed.

    I am like you; I like to save one sip of wine to end a fine meal, you a fine morsel, me a fine wine :)

    Good to read these all and learn more about you :) I'd take beach over anything else to live close by if it just wasn't so darn expensive to live by the beach I'd want to live by (San Diego area)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read that San Diego has the most beautiful weather. I'd love to visit it some day just to see for myself. Plus, it would be a nice vacation!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the Liebster Award! And sleep paralysis -- oh my! I've heard that it's one of the most terrifying experiences to have and I'm sorry that you went through it. Hopefully never again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully it only happened once. And once is more than enough!

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the award! Thanks for sharing a bit about yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the award! I have answered your challenge. That was kinda hard.

    I enjoyed learning new things about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for participating, Gail! I really enjoyed your post :)

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh you so deserve the award...always love finding out new and interesting things about you...I feel the same about anything around my neck...how lovely to know you more, and each time, I love you morel atta Girl, you deserve every good things...how's the house looking going?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very quiet over the holidays and we didn't bother looking for homes, just took some time to relax. Now it's starting to get busy again, so we'll resume our search and cross our fingers that our home sells very soon!

      Delete
  8. Well done on sharing more about you ...

    Hope your week is going well

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your response for #7 is totally spot on; You do have something to say.

    Nice to know more about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have something to say, don't we? My blog is my podium :)

      Delete
  10. I thought about joining the basketball team in middle school, when other kids started laughing I decided not to even try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations Martha! Well deserved, although I'm not sure the ironing board salespeople of the world would agree! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on your award Martha, such good answers to great questions, I've never heard of sleep paralysis, so scary. Thanks for the nomination, I may give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do, Christine. It's fun to put together.

      Delete
  13. Such a well-deserved award, Martha!!
    Somebody in my house also practices '#7'......every meal! Introverts are all alike! lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats! And very fun reading. I do the same with saving favorite bite for last!

    ReplyDelete
  15. :) I smiled at some of your interesting infos.
    I love your superpower! Hahahaha!

    Anyway I initially felt a bit sad because I used to do this questions exchange with a fellow blogger (from the UK). She is no longer with us now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that about a fellow blogger. That is quite sad.

      My superpower is very useful...keeps toxic people far away! :)

      Delete
  16. Enjoyed this post! It was very fun to learn more about you. I liked your answer about "order but not rigidity:" a good path to follow! Your "somewhere warmer" answer makes a lot of sense too. My family and I do a list with the New Year of places we'd like to visit. Last year someone wrote "Somewhere warm" as a destination--I guess that is a good place for Northerners to go! I'm not sure what's up this year though--someone wrote "The North Pole"! We must be toughening up/"evolving!" I'm definitely with you on watching old series online instead of current tv shows! That time you were lifted into the air with the tidal wave must have been very scary! Your superpower is a useful one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The North Pole! Oh my... You know, I wouldn't mind visiting once just to experience it. But live there? NEVER! LOL... I'm also evolving, but in the opposite direction. As I get older, I tolerate the cold less and less, so a warmer area would suit me just fine.

      That tidal wave experience was very scary. Thankfully I wasn't hurt. It could have been much worse.

      Delete
  17. Awesome answers and we really do have a lot in common. Especially reading to escape reality and classic rock! Oh yeah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Classic rock always tops the list for me. Takes me way back to my teen years!

      Delete