Tuesday, March 15, 2016

You Asked, I Answer (Homes, An Optimistic Outlook and Dreams)

Here's another round of answers to questions my blogging pals have asked in this year's ‘Ask Me Anything’ post. If you want to participate, click here.

Here are today's answers:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betty asked:
What kind of a house are you looking to move into after your house sells?

A much smaller one!

I like small, cozy spaces that are easy to care for and maintain. Right now we live in a place that is about 2,000 square feet. Oversized with oversized responsibilities. What we’d like is a home that is about half that size, so that we’ll not only cut down on chores, we’ll also lower our bills. And significantly reduce our mortgage!

We tossed a few ideas around when we first started contemplating a move and we even went so far as considering moving into an apartment to be totally free of all home-related responsibilities. But I’m not quite ready to give up gardening and the most amazing man in the world is not quite ready to give up his motorcycle. Also, in my little city rents are ridiculously high. In fact, they are amongst the highest in the province of Ontario. Why? There is a shortage of rentals, so the vacancy rate is low. Therefore, supply and demand. And dare I say it, greedy landlords. Ooops...I said it.

So another house it is for us. We’d prefer a detached or semi-detached single home. We visited a couple of townhouses, and although they were just the right size, they don’t appeal as much to us. And we would never even consider a condo. Ever.

Right now, we’re just hoping to sell! The house market, especially for the type of house we have, is very slow from late fall and throughout the winter months. Kingston’s busiest season is in spring and we’ve got our fingers crossed that we’ll finally be able to unload this beast and move on.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E asked:
Martha,
Your optimism is infectious...What do you think contributes to your wonderful outlook on life?

First, thank you for this. What a nice thing to say.

Here’s my answer:

I have bad days like anyone else. And I get moody, frustrated, impatient, anxious and even down in the dumps at times. But not for long. A pessimistic state is very exhausting for me mentally, emotionally and physically, so I work on getting the heck out of it as quickly as possible.

What lifts my spirit?

- I’ve kept my childlike wonder and still see awesomeness in this world.
- I capture that awesomeness through my camera lens.
- I spend time being creative. It's relaxing and meditative.
- I find joy in the simplest things.
- I soothe my soul by spending time with Mother Nature.
- I live in the present.
- I never try not to worry about what I cannot change and what is beyond my control.
- I do not follow trends or chase fashion. I'm outdated and blissfully happy about it.
- I avoid toxic people. They are like vampires; sucking the very life out of you.
- I don’t fret over what other people think of me. Nor do I care.
- I volunteer my time and have discovered that helping others kindles my own happiness.
- I live and let live, and mind my own business.
- I practice gratitude daily and remind myself how easy I have it.
- I have the most amazing family. No competition or conflicts or struggles. Just peace, love and boundless support.
- And I laugh every single day, which is easy because not only do I have a healthy sense of humour but so does the most amazing man in the world. We joke and tease and get silly day in and day out, living our own personal comedy skit.

These are some of the things that push me toward an optimistic outlook in life. It’s much less tiring and a lot more pleasurable to be on that side, isn’t it?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Country Gal asked:
If you had one dream to live out what would that dream be?

I would travel the world and photograph everything along the way. I’d love to immerse myself in different cultures, go from one place to another by plane and ship and train and bus and car and bike and on foot. Experience the diversity and vastness of this amazing world we live in. See it all. Breathe it in. Soak in it. And if money was no object (aka if the lottery came in), I’d get started right now..right this very moment...and travel till I dropped. With a camera in one hand and the most amazing man in the world in the other.

That would be my dream!


And that, my friends, is the end of this week's answers to your questions. Enjoy the rest of the day!

26 comments:

  1. You have a GREAT attitude to life and I hope you DO win the lottery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra! Fingers crossed...and toes and eyeballs :)

      Delete
  2. I LOVE your optimism, I should keep this list it is so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a daily exercise, Christine, but well worth it. It's much more tiring to be down.

      Delete
  3. We recently moved from a three bedroom house to another three bedroom (two children, so that is what we needed). We actually wanted a bigger house, Tim was keen on a "mansion"! Not that we could afford that in the city - maybe if we moved out to the country. But this is what we could afford. And I've ended up so glad! Why would we want more bedrooms, for instance! To store more boxes of junk we'll never use in? We cleared out a lot of stuff when we moved, gave things to charity, filled three skip bins, but we still have about 20 boxes in the garage we haven't opened and haven't needed or missed in these first four months. And I really don't want any extra rooms I have to clean. Downsizing is a great idea, when you can.

    But I've been watching that show "Tiny Houses" where people downsize to a miniature house not much bigger than a caravan (100 - 250 square feet). For one person, fine, could be fun. But a family of four? I'd go crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie, your children are still very young. Mine are all grown up and they've moved out, too! It's just the two of us. I don't need or want this much room. We use about half the size. There are rooms we never step foot in. All I do is clean, clean and clean space that I have no use for. At this point in my life I want to minimize my space, get rid of excess junk and liberate us from the burden of this large house. We can spend our time outdoors and doing things we enjoy!

      Delete
  4. We just looked at our first home today, it was small but promising. Though there are a lot of problems to fix. It was a house that seemed to be really good when the last seller bought it, but they did not take great care of it and I think got kicked out.

    If we get it, we'll have to repaint, plaster a few areas, get a new toilet, and re-carpet or put down hardwood for the whole upstairs.

    We're hoping we find something better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite a challenge finding a home. Some are in better condition than others. If the bones are good, the price is right and the things that need fixing are reasonable, you'll have found yourself a great deal! Good luck to you and Daisy!

      Delete
  5. Very well answered Martha...you are a genuine honest person...I like that!
    Enjoy your evening...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! You must be happy to be back home where your little angel is close by!

      Delete
  6. Well done . Your dream and optimism is very much like mine . Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Country Gal! I wish you a great day ahead.

      Delete
  7. I'm with you on the house, also ready to downsize. I hope your dream comes true, I would love to sit in my cozy chair with a cup of tea and look at your photos on Instagram!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so looking forward to shrinking our responsibilities, so we can have more freedom to do the things we enjoy. What are your own plans? Will you stay in the same area?

      Delete
  8. I envy how you are able to put a list together for life situations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a healthy outlook on life! I have found,too, that my attitude about things can totally change my mood, my level of contentment, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has always helped me, Tina. Some days it takes a little extra effort but it's well worth it.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for answering my question :) I do hope your house sells now that spring is approaching. I agree, getting something smaller and less mortgage is a great idea! I do like your thoughts of how you live with enthusiasm and optimism. Great things to do and strive for daily!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait till we move, Betty. I wish we had moved by now but I can't control the market, try as I may...LOL :)

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks, Wonder Woman. It's always easier to stay on the positive side. Even when you don't feel like it!

      Delete
  12. I think you're brave to say, "Ask me anything." I'm certainly enjoying the answers. I'm sitting in my tiny hotel bathroom where Terry discovered we can pick up the hotel wifi. It's been almost impossible in the hotel lobby with so much going on. Finally I can have a chance to catch up on your recent posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the way I look at it is that people can ask just about anything. Doesn't mean I'm going to answer :)

      Delete