Tuesday, March 8, 2016

You Asked, I Answer (This, That And The Other)

Here's another round of answers to questions my blogging pals have asked in this year's ‘Ask Me Anything’ post. If you haven't participated and wish to do so, or if you've already posed a question but want to ask another, click here.

Here is today's round.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hannah asked:
Did you ever want your name to be something different? or your birthday to be on a different date? why?

I’ve always disliked my name. I’d go so far as saying I hate it but when I do that I feel guilty because I’m named after my maternal grandmother, and you can imagine how heartwarming it is for my mom that I'm named after her mother. Nonetheless, I have wished since forever that I had another name. Like what? I don't know. But something else. My own is not a terrible name but it’s an ‘oldish’ type. Although at my age, I’m certainly growing into it!

And wouldn't you know it...I'd end up being paired with a man whose name happens to be George. Yeah, cue the 'George and Martha Washington' comments and snickers. Yes, people do that...ad nauseam!

As for my birthday, I’m born three days before Valentine’s, so it would have been nice if there’d been a little more distance between the two. That way, both celebrations wouldn’t get lumped together. Like they always do. But I’m okay with being born in the winter. No problem there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Happy Whisk asked:
What colour is your toothbrush?

Only Wonder Woman (aka The Happy Whisk) would think to ask such an entertaining question! And have me eagerly answering.

My toothbrush is white and pink. I’d personally never choose pink since it’s not a favourite colour of mine (my first choice would be blue) but I get many of my brushes from my dentist and this is what I got on my last visit. And come to think of it, on the last few visits. Hmm... I shouldn’t read too much into it (like is it because I’m female?) but I will sneak a peek into the dental hygienist’s drawer next time she reaches in there to grab one for me and see what other colours there are.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bethany had a few fun and interesting questions and here’s one of them:
Do you ever listen to the radio? And, if so, what do you listen to?

Once upon a time I used to listen to the radio all the time. I especially loved those shows where song dedications were made for love or heartbreak or because of grief. One show was 'Delilah' where callers would tell the host their situation or story and then she would choose the song that best matches their circumstances. I shed a lot of tears with that one. The radio show is still going on.

And then, of course, there was the Canadian show "Lovers and Other Strangers"; a kind of chicken soup for the soul radio show. With the use of captivating words accompanied by the perfect music, the popular host, Don Jackson, would take you deep into your mind. Every time I tuned in, I was guaranteed a very inspirational and spiritual journey. I shed a few tears there, too.

That was then.

Now I almost never listen to the radio at home. Occasionally I’ll play some music CDs, which I have too many of, but mostly I like to connect to YouTube and listen to the songs on my playlist.

But it’s a totally different story in the car. When I’m driving, I always have the radio on. I enjoy the background noise; the news, weather updates, songs. My favourite type of music is classic rock but I’m open to just about anything. If the song is to my liking, I don’t care what genre it is; I will listen to it. And if it's something I really like, I'll start singing along.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barb asked:
My question for you is "if you could live anywhere else on the North American continent, where would it be"?

Ah, Barb, if only I'd met the most amazing man in the world in my youth; we'd now be living somewhere in British Columbia where we both have always wanted to be. But life had different plans for us. The west coast of Canada has always been at the top of my list and if my two daughters moved there, I’d have an excuse to go. But I don’t see that happening any time soon, so here I am.

Tropical islands like Barbados, Turks and Caicos, Curacao and Aruba are also very appealing but I’m not sure I could handle hot weather year round. I like the idea of four seasons. But give me half a year in Canada and half a year down south and I’m game!



That’s it for this week. If you haven't seen your question yet, don't worry; all of them will get answered in the next few weeks. Also, there are a few inquiries that are so thought provoking that they may take up an entire post. One of them might be yours, so stay tuned!

31 comments:

  1. I only listen to the radio when I'm in my car too. When I was a teenager though, radio was where it was at! And hey, have you ever thought of just calling yourself "Marty"? That's a cool short form of your real name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of it later in life and now it'll never stick. Everyone is used to calling me by my full name, so it's rather futile now! Ah well...in my next lifetime... :)

      Delete
  2. I hadn't gotten the connection between Martha and George until you mentioned it here :) I never really cared for my name either. It does seem though like the old names "Stella, Lucille, June" are coming back these days though.

    I know a lot of Canadians have settled in the Phoenix area, albeit maybe for half a year. Our realtor told us of a lot of condos she would sell to Canadians; they would buy them sight unseen because they were in the same communities as other friends and they knew what their friends' ones looked like. Then they would fly in for the inspection and settle on buying the house or not :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be true, Betty. Phoenix seems to be one of the favourite places for Canadians! I know that I would LOVE to visit one day. I find it such an interesting place.

      Delete
  3. I usually get my toothbrushes from the dollar store. I like to change them once a month, and we usually get a 2 pack where Daisy and I will pick the color so we don't get them mixed up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good way of doing it. My husband and I have different colours, too, so we don't mix them up!

      Delete
  4. Yeah, my B-day is the day before Valentine's Day so I totally get how you feel. But like you I do love having a winter B-day (I can go skiing!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That works out perfect for you, Linda, since you love skiing!

      Delete
  5. Martha and George so ironic lol. I enjoyed your answers today Martha thanks for sharing, you are so open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My toothbrush is purple and white at the moment from the dentist's office like you.

      Delete
    2. It is very ironic, Christine. We laugh about it.

      I like purple much better. It's one of my favourite colours.

      Delete
  6. I think you should move to the west coast. Vancouver Island sounds nice. ;-)

    But then again we are both introverts so we would probably never end up spending much time together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's interesting that with age our preferences change.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like you, I can't stand my first name. Margaret is my mom's favorite aunt but I am just not a Margaret! No one could spell or pronounce my middle name because it is French and long, so Toni it is. I can live with that!

    Radio in the car unless it's a long drive, then I bring CD's (both music and instructional). At home it is Pandora all the way! Love, love, love Pandora.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CDs for me, as well, on long drives. The music keeps me awake!

      Delete
  9. Hi Marty!!....couldn't resist!
    Getting to know you a little more, Martha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I like about these posts, especially when others do them. Because you really get to know your blogging pals!

      Delete
  10. Interesting stuff!
    And talking of toothbrushes ... I always have pink and Eddie blue ... !!! Oh well !!!

    All the best Jan


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as they're different colours, so you don't mix them up. We don't need to share everything with our partners! :)

      Delete
  11. Thanks so much for answering the questions, Martha! Ha! I had never associated George and Martha with the Washingtons! That is pretty neat. But I do imagine it could get pretty old; just think of the poor couple who happen to be named Adam and Eve...

    I'm betting they do have some blue toothbrushes in that drawer. All the best in getting one!

    Interesting to hear what you listen to on the radio! I'd never heard of either of those stations that you used to listen to. Generally I listen to classical music. I only listen when I'm in the car as well--and usually only when I'm parked waiting for someone to shop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty neat that we have that type of name combination but it's been overused! And it's funny because someone will mention it to us like they've come up with something original, chuckle at their cleverness, and then suddenly stop and say "Oh...I bet you've heard that before." Yes, yes we have :)

      Delete
  12. I was born the day before Valentine's! I got used to pink decor quite early on ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But at least you're born under the sign of Aquarius. No wonder you're so cool ;)

      Delete
  13. Love these questions and your answers and I think you are cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahaha, these were fun to read and thanks for answering my question. Funny about looking in the drawer to get possibly a blue one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure there are other colours in there! I'm gonna sneak a peek next time... :)

      Delete
  15. Hell yeah I need to be at the beach right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya. I'd be on the next flight out if I could!

      Delete