Tuesday, March 22, 2016

You Asked, I Answer (Unsavory Foods, Middle Names and Regrets)

Another week, another round of answers to your questions on this year's ‘Ask Me Anything’ post. If you'd like to participate, click here.

Here we go...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bethany asked:
What's your least favorite food?

I’m not a very picky eater but there are some things that really don’t appeal to me, mostly because of their unpleasant texture; the way they feel in my mouth. For example, anything that’s slimy (oysters, mussels) makes me gag. And the gelatinous feel? Bleh. Not for me. And you guessed right that I won’t eat Jell-O. Even the way it jiggles around when you poke it is alarming.

And although there isn’t one particular food that is my least favourite, here’s one that assaults all my senses:
Okra

GAWD... Hairy, slimy, nausea-inducing okra. I suspect that it’s nothing more than a mutated green bean that some farmer successfully introduced as a new discovery after a crop gone bad. My mom used to make it regularly when I was growing up...oh the trauma...and I would not touch it. Not. One. Bite. Nothing’s changed over the years; I hate it now as much as I hated it then.

And you know what? My husband feels exactly the same way about this dreadful food. Another reason why he’s the most amazing man in the world.

My apologies to the okra lovers. Although I think you’re all a little crazy!


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Francie asked:
What is the middle name of tbhitw? :)

Emmanuel. He doesn’t like that name any more than he likes his first one, so don’t tell him I told you what it is! *snort*

Personally I think it’s a very nice name and I’ve told him as much. But he just shakes his head. No. No no no. And no. I get the feeling he's made up his mind about that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Red asked:
Do you ever have any regrets and if so what are they?

I’m not one to dwell much on the past, but like anyone else, I sometimes ponder what could have been if I’d made different choices. Obviously getting married to the wrong man the first time around is something I think about now and again, but because I have two amazing daughters as a result of that, there is a positive side to that terribly unpleasant time.

Going further with my education is another thing I sometimes think about. I took a lot of shortcuts when I was young, eager to get out of school as quickly as possible and join the working world, and sometimes wish I’d been more focused. And patient. Perhaps in the next lifetime...

And every now and then I wish I’d pursued what would have made me the happiest: charitable work. On a global level. When I was full of energy and boundless enthusiasm in my youth, the nomadic lifestyle was highly appealing and there is no doubt that I would have been very happy being part of a humanitarian aid organization that worked in different areas around the world, helping others, making a difference, giving my life purpose and meaning. And I would have been as equally, or maybe even more so, fulfilled if I’d been an animal rights activist bouncing around this beautiful planet of ours for several years, saving the animals that needed saving and working with endangered wildlife.

If my life had taken that direction in my youth, people who know me would have been asking “Where in the world is Martha today?” for an extended period of time. And if I’d met or known the most amazing man in the world at that time, I would have taken him along with me and we both would have been out saving the world. Side by side. And one day at time!

But all in all, life has been good to me and I don't have much to complain about.



And that's all for today. Next week I'm planning on answering a single question...perhaps of a...political nature.

Until next time, have a wonderful rest of the day.

36 comments:

  1. I've never had okra and I don't believe I care to, after reading your description. BUT HOW DARE YOU DISS JELLO? hahahahahaha, I eat a ton of it (no sugar added). Easy to make and fun to eat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA! I know there are many, MANY JELLO lovers out there. My husband is one of them. His favourite flavour raspberry. My girls like it, too.

      Delete
  2. I've never tried okra (or even seen it here in Australia, only on TV) but you certainly make it sound disgusting. My main dislike would be anything that still has guts in it when you eat it. This insect-as-protein thing is gross. Indigenous Australians eat quite a variety of bugs; ants, moths, Witchety grubs. Raw. Revolting. I also hate oysters and mussels but quite like scallops. Give me a nice cut of pure muscle, not a small creature that still has all its innards inside! I would eat rat if it was properly roasted and carved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of trouble with the insect thing, too. Bleh... And I'm also not a fan of scallops. Not sure what bothers me about that but I won't touch it.

      Delete
  3. Had to laugh at the okra. I love it, and also mussels and oysters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are one of many people who really like okra, Christine! I just cannot. Cannot!

      Delete
  4. You're working hard on these questions. As I know you're a very positive hopeful person answering my question was tough. Thanks for a great answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very good question. It really got me thinking!

      Delete
  5. Martha! You should come to Georgia and eat fresh okra from my Daddy's garden and it is FRIED to perfection! Not everyone can do it right but you know my Daddy can!
    And Martha, you know Obama is in Cuba right now...I think he must read your blog and after seeing your photos of the beaches there...yep, THAT is what made him go! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because it's your daddy, I would take a bite, Kay!

      President Obama reading my blog. If only! You are adorable... :)

      Delete
  6. Not an Okra fan either...or oysters....or mussels....blech!
    Have a wonderful Easter..
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I just know you'll have a lovely time with your family!

      Delete
  7. I like the quote at the end of your post! And I'm not a fan of okra either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems there are many of us that are not okra fans!

      Delete
  8. *snaps* Not sure about the okra myself, I think I have enjoyed it on some occasions but that was thoroughly mixed with some other things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have to be very well hidden to get by me, Hannah...LOL...

      Delete
  9. Intriguing for next week's post :) I do agree with you about okra; it just is slimy and not appealing to me either. Was George named after anyone? Emmanuel is a name you don't hear too often, especially coupled with George :) I think one of the hardest things to do is to name a child; knowing they are going to carry that for the rest of their lives. When I see names like Precious, Heaven, and so many more, I'm like what?? Like Angel for a boy.....I like good solid names if that made sense and named my kids accordingly with not unusual spelling with them either :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He says he wasn't named after anyone. There are a few people I know named Emmanuel. It's not uncommon in families with a Greek heritage. I don't think it'll be used as much in the next generation though.

      And I agree completely! It is tough to name a child.

      Delete
  10. I'll betcha tapioca pudding falls into that category, too! I don't think I've ever eaten okra. Certainly not all by itself anyway. I've eaten one raw oyster, just to say that I've done it. Bleh!! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually never tried tapioca pudding! But if it has the same texture, it's a no-no :)

      Delete
  11. I totally understand your aversion to okra but just as Kay G. mentioned, I had grandparents that fried it and it was quite good. I guess if you dip something in batter and fry it, it becomes more palatable. Still...your description is accurate. The texture is odd.

    I, wholeheartedly agree about oysters YUCK!!

    Since I am newer to your blog, I have to tell you, I really like your Q & A format. It's nice getting to know a bit about a blogger. Sometimes I get a sense for who people are just by reading their posts but it's extra nice to know the person behind the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This 'Ask Me Anything' blog post is a lot of fun. Perhaps you would consider doing one of your own!

      Delete
  12. I'm with you on okra. It's popular in the south, usually fried. Larry likes it, but I can do without.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Me too, Martha! I have never tried it, nor will I ever!! Since reading this!!
    Middle names! I like Emmanual actually. Where do parents come up with some of these.....mine is Barry!! Go figure! What the heck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That'actually a pretty nice name, Jim, and one that you don't hear too often!

      Delete
  14. I think you do so well with these question and answer posts ...
    Hope your week is going well

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan. I really enjoy answering these questions. They are quite interesting!

      Delete
  15. I have never tried okra. It sounds gross. I also have trouble with slimy food. Overripe bananas, pudding, tapioca...gag!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My wife loves okra, but I don't understand it at all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's one of THOSE, Adam. We'll never understand okra lovers :)

      Delete
  17. Texture is an interesting thing. Love the cat and mouse. So true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have our preferences with food. I wonder if it's just the feel or if it also involves experiences, maybe from our childhood. Or other influences.

      Delete
  18. Okra! That's as creepy as those dumb things people do in horror movies! I will not be able to sleep tonight with visions of okra on a plate haunting me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA! You might need an exorcist, Louise! To get those okras out of your head :)

      Delete