Tuesday, March 1, 2016

You Asked, I Answer (Vacations, Aromas and Online Dating)

A big thank you to all who participated in this year's ‘Ask Me Anything’ post with very interesting questions! For those who missed it and would like to join in, it's not too late. Click here and be nosy.

My first post answers three questions. Let’s begin...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linda asked:
Where would you like to go on vacation this summer?

I would like to go to Australia or the Fiji Islands or Hawaii or Barbados or Italy or Japan or a dozen other places.

But where will I actually go?
Into a moving truck (one of these days) and off to a new home (one of these days).

So we're not planning any vacations away from here any time soon, but we will squeeze in some day trips, cycling and a whole lot of photography.



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CraveCute asked:
What is your favorite fragrance or aroma?

My favourite aroma is vanilla. It triggers memories from childhood, particularly of my mom who used it often in baking. A second favourite is the smell of coconut.

And I also like these scents:
- coffee, beeswax, freshly cut grass, cinnamon, the seaside, baked apples, fresh fruit, basil (reminds me of my dad), cloves, suntan lotion...just to name a few. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Christine asked:
Can you say the name of your online dating site? And any advice with doing this? I have a friend who is interested in trying this the right way.

The most amazing man in the world and I met on Lavalife but I won't swear by that one because a) there are many online dating sites and b) they are all no better or worse than the next. Choose one or two or three that are appealing, join up and let the good times roll see what comes of it.

That being said, here's some advice:

- Read profiles carefully. You can learn a lot about a person from what they write about themselves.

- Keep it real. Share a recent photo, don't hide the fact that you have kids if you do, don't make up things about your life, job, history. If you want to meet someone honest, be that person, too.

- Stay away from the nut jobs (stalkers, control freaks, and so on). And it won't be difficult to spot them. Nut jobs can contain their psycho side for only so long before it starts to ooze out.

- If there is no profile photo chances are (I'd bet money on this) they are in a committed relationship.

- Don't provide any personal information (email, full name, address, phone number, work location) until and unless you feel the time is right. Create a separate email and use that to communicate in the meantime.

- Never EVER give anyone money no matter what their sob story is.

- Go slowly. There's no need to rush. Get to know someone through emails/chats at first, slowly integrate phone calls and if there's some chemistry, plan on a short date.

- Once you know your date's full name, Google them and see what comes up. There's nothing wrong with that and they'll probably do the same with you.

- When you meet in person, choose a public spot, get yourself to and from there on your own (politely decline a ride from online date) and let someone know where you are.

Trust your instincts. If it doesn't feel right then it isn't right.

- Above all, have fun. Meet a few people and go on a few dates. If nothing else, you'll have some interesting stories to tell!

As my blogging friends know, I've had tremendous success with online dating and I'm not the only one. It's a wonderful way to meet people. You just have to be smart about it!



And that’s all for now. More answers coming up next week and for a few weeks after that, so stay tuned.

Happy March, everyone. Have a great month!

26 comments:

  1. I want to go to Australia too. Maybe someday mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your bucket list and your favourite scents. Thanks so much for this useful online dating advice, I will pass on to my friend. She recently joined a site, hoping it goes well with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck to your friend, Christine! I hope it goes well for her, too.

      Delete
  3. Great advice about online dating. Son met his now wife through one (but I can't remember which one now, LOL) and I've heard of a lot of other people having wonderful success with them. I want that vacuum moving company to come and move me :)

    Enjoyed your answers; looking forward to more in the weeks ahead.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that about your son, Betty! That is wonderful. I love hearing about these success stories.

      Delete
  4. That cartoon made me LOL! Does it make any sense to say that you have good TASTE in AROMAS?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lavalife is where I met my Papa AKA hubs lol we were both going to give up till he saw my profile and sent a smile and all has been amazing since we complete each other and we understand each other to and also went through the same crap with ex"s we are best friends I am soo glad I didn't delete and quit Lavalife then . I like all kinds of aromas . Thanks for sharing , have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome, Country Gal! I'm so glad it worked out for you.

      Delete
  6. You have certainly thought about the dating sites with all the excellent pointers you make. they are also pointers that would be useful for "regular" dating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! The same things can be applied to all types of dating.

      Delete
  7. Online dating has grown and gets quite a lot of TV advertising ... good suggestions/advice you've given here.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems quite fitting for the technological age we live in!

      Delete
  8. No picture is a given, either they're married or they're too dumb to upload a picture. I'm having a hard time figuring out which is worse :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, the married/committed part grinds on my nerves!

      Delete
  9. Once the move is over, I hope you're able to travel to one of those fabulous places on your bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how I hope so, Linda! A vacation to another area would be wonderful!

      Delete
  10. Vanilla has quite different associations for me, since my husband and I like to use vanilla scented massage oil!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Martha....
    Every time I buy a candle.....VANILLA! Fabulous...
    Great post...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my choice for a candle scent, too! And I love burning it after cooking. Clears away any strong aromas and makes the house smell soooo nice.

      Delete
  12. Eats kittens. Hahaha.

    I meet Tim online too. I also love vanilla. As part of Valentine's Day, Tim got me vanilla pods. I'd never had them before.

    OMG!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Online dating makes sense in this digital age. There are a lot of success stories. I think it's a great way to meet new people.

      Delete