Tuesday, April 5, 2016

You Asked, I Answer (Quotes, Blogging, Photography and Canada)

Here we are with more answers to questions you had on this year's 'Ask Me Anything' post.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bethany asked:
What's your favorite quote?

How much time do you have, Bethany? Because there are so very many that I like. And that list keeps growing. But since we all have lives to lead, I will share a handful.

Like this one:

"If there is to be peace in the world, there must be peace in the nations. If there is to be peace in the nations, there must be peace in the cities. If there is to be peace in the cities, there must be peace between neighbors. If there is to be peace between neighbors, there must be peace in the home. If there is to be peace in the home, there must be peace in the heart." (Lao Tzu)

And this one:

"Man is the only animal that deals in that atrocity of atrocities, War. He is the only one that gathers his brethren about him and goes forth in cold blood and calm pulse to exterminate his kind. He is the only animal that for sordid wages will march out...and help to slaughter strangers of his own species who have done him no harm and with whom he has no quarrel. And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood off his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man"---with his mouth. (Mark Twain)

And especially this one:



I’m often heard saying that “sometimes entire generations need to die off so we can evolve”. And I truly believe that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tina asked:
Martha, why did you start blogging? How did you get into photography?

It took me awhile to discover the blogging world but when I did I was intrigued by it. I thought it was a wonderful way to connect with people around the world and share thoughts, ideas, photographs, recipes, silliness, creativity and anything and everything in between. I secretly followed a handful of blogs for a few months and decided at some point that I, too, wanted in and that I, too, had something to say. Nothing earth shattering or life changing or award-winning, but still, something. So I dove in and have never looked back.

Photography, on the other hand, has always been a favourite pastime. I’ve been snapping photos since as far back as I can remember but didn’t take it to a higher level until I got my first DSLR in 2012, which I fell head over heels in love with. A few courses and thousands of images later and this passion is not only still going strong but there doesn’t seem to be an end in sight. It is my number one stress reliever and get-away-from-it-all hobby. And I hope to go even further with it after we sell our home and settle into our new one; perhaps try to sell a few images. We shall see.




----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deb asked:
Are Canadians really as nice as they appear, or do they secretly go back home and swear like sailors at the stupidity of some people?

Like any other country, we have our fair share of racist, bad tempered and small minded people. Because there is no place on earth that is free of assholes. But for the most part we are generally good natured and well mannered, which has earned us (and continues to earn us) a favourable reputation around the globe.

However, if you want to get under the skin of a mild-mannered Canuck, call Canada the 51st state or America’s hat. Keep snickering about how we pronounce about as “aboot” (something that doesn’t make sense to us) and watch our eyes roll back into our heads. And don't be surprised if the gloves come off if you insult the sport of hockey. Don’t do it. Just don’t. Cause you just might get “a boot” up the ass. And we’ll be sorry. But not really.

And oh, by the way, Canadians drop more f-bombs and other curse words than people in the U.S and Britain. Maybe at the same time as they give someone “a boot” up the ass.



And that's all for now! Come back next week for more.

30 comments:

  1. Very insightful choice of quotes, Martha.
    Yes, photography is like meditating......makes us live in the moment.
    We Canadians are nice people....you better f%$#&@* believe it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet we're nice people, Jim! And now that we have a new government, our reputation should get even better.

      Delete
  2. Hahahahahaha, "a boot" up the ass! The only Canadians who ever said "aboot" were those of Scottish descent -- at one time numerous in Ontario and Nova Scotia perhaps but nowadays, far outnumbered and in the minority. And even the remaining ones don't pronounce "about" as "aboot" anymore! But the stereotype persists . . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! You'd think people would get over this already. It's gotten reaaaallly old!

      Delete
  3. I, too, love quotes so daily I find new favorites. I had never heard the quotes you used but in fairness, there are millions upon millions of quotes.

    It is interesting to hear how bloggers started blogs. Just from reading the 100s of blogs I have read in the past and continue to read...it seems that most people are hopeful to get material published. Many of the blogs I have read in the past are now authors of books.

    Your "how Canada" got it's name is very funny! As for Canadians being good natured...My husband occasionally works in Canada and people there have treated him with such kindness. Several times he has been working over holidays and has been invited into homes for meals. I don't think this would be the norm in the U.S. Perhaps, it's due to the fact he would NEVER, EVER insult hockey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very interesting, Cheryl, that some bloggers are now authors. It hasn't been my goal in any way but I have some blogging pals that are perfectly suited for that!

      Delete
  4. LOL on how Canada was named :) I liked the quote about death; there is a lot of wisdom in it. We do need the younger generation who thinks they will change the world to make progress. I think sometimes as we age we might become more set in our ways. I think you would do well if you did go about selling some of your photography :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty, I truly believe that each upcoming generation brings something important and innovative to the future. Young people are like a breath of fresh air. As we age, many of us really do get set in our ways and many of us even hinder further development. So it's not such a bad thing to clear the road for the next generations. In my opinion, of course :)

      Delete
  5. My favorite quote list is often endless, but here's my most recent favorite apparently said by an unknown Native American woman.

    "If you take the Christian Bible and put it out in the wind and the rain, soon the paper on which the words are printed will disintegrate and the words will be gone. Our bible is the wind and the rain."

    I feel that one is very true about religion vs the history of the world. No matter how big one religion gets it will eventually crumble and enter the realm of man-made mythology. But the wind and rain will outlast mankind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very profound quote, Adam. I have never heard it before! There are so many wonderful quotes by Native Americans. My religion is nature. And kindness.

      Delete
  6. ha! I love the explanation for Canada's name! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all your quotes so true! Great post thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reminds me of our priest who pronounced the word 'cooks' like Canadians say aboot. He would always end grace before a meal with, "and God bless the cooks!"
    Always got a smile and giggle from us, while he looked around concerned that we were all kooks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHAHA! That is funny. I can picture him saying that. I'd be giggling, too :)

      Delete
  9. Thank you for answering our questions! I hope you do take your photography further--you do beautiful work. Love those quotes, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Tina. When everything has settled at home, I will start to look at my options for photography. It's something that I've been thinking about a lot lately. I'll get to that eventually.

      Delete
  10. Somehow or other we get good PR around the world. I guess we don't go after large groups as in racism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't make a lot of waves and we are rather quiet. And now that we've gotten rid of a government that was beginning to tarnish our reputation, we can get back on the right track.

      Delete
  11. Hahaha Loved your pics for this one (including that quote)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed, Hannah! I aim to entertain :)

      Delete
  12. Haha, I don't want a boot up my ass, so I'll keep that in mind when I next visit your fine country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no you don't, Robyn. We wear winter boots for a long time and a kick in the ass from them will probably hurt :)

      Delete
  13. my favourite is: let go, Let God....and we're peacekeepers :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never heard the America hat thing or the 51st state. The aboot thing, I hear a lot but I'm originally from the east coast so I hear a lot of what people like me are supposed to sound like too. And some of it is true! And funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are all kinds of weird things out there! Some are true, some are not. Some are funny, and others...not so much!

      Delete