Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Scoring At The Book Fair

So last Thursday I wrote about how excited I was heading to the local annual book fair that morning. An event that has me hyperventilating as soon as I step inside the warehouse where it's held. Do you remember that? If you don't it's because you didn't visit my blog that day. Shame on you. Shame.

Anyhow...

There were oodles of people swarming around, most of them very courteous. But not all. Some were pushy and rude. In one incident, an elderly lady didn't think I was moving fast enough as I went up and down some aisles, so she kept inching up really close to me, close enough to intimidate me to move along. I am a very patient person but I do have my breaking point. After a few of these annoying encounters of her moving into my personal space, I finally turned around and confronted her as politely as I could. She was slightly surprised but far from apologetic. And nothing changed. *sigh* I dug in my heels and refused to pick up the pace. She had to deal with it.

I wonder if she's been this way her whole life?



Other than that unpleasant encounter, the morning went very well. And I picked up a few new books. I'd like to share three great finds with you.

The first one is this wonderful collection:



All 8 stories for only $6! I've read volume one and two but not the rest. The stories date back to the early 1900s and were written by a Canadian author. I first read Anne of Green Gables (volume 1) when I was a teenager. And loved it. It's been so long that I may start from the beginning and read all 8.



My second big score was 'Lassie Come Home'. I couldn't believe it when I found this! I was a HUGE fan of the television series 'Lassie' when I was a little girl. Remember that? It ran from 1954 – 1973 and it followed the adventures of a collie and her human companions. How I loved it. Loved it.



And finally, this:



It's the 1969 autobiography of Maya Angelou who was an American author, poet, historian, songwriter, playwright, dancer, stage and screen producer, director, performer, singer, and civil rights activist. And a most inspirational woman. I've been meaning to read this for years, and can't believe I haven't yet. So I was thrilled when I ran across it.



And that was my trip to the book fair! Have a good one, everyone.

30 comments:

  1. You did find some great books! That poor lady, I think she needs to learn a little patience. Happy reading!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If she hasn't learned it by now, I'm not sure she ever will, Betty. It can't be much fun going through life like that.

      Delete
  2. There's always that one annoying person when you're out browsing around. I've never read any of the Anne of Green Gables books, but I was (and still am) a huge fan of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. Have fun with those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually don't let these types of people get to me. But this one just wouldn't quit!

      Delete
  3. I frequently re-read all the Anne books, I have them all. And I think all the author's other books, and collections of short stories! Love them. Anne's House of Dreams is probably my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been years since I read any of these books and I'm looking forward to it. Such fun stories!

      Delete
  4. Awe look at Lassie! So no hair pulling or throat punching at the book fair huh? Bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maya Angelou's book is on my "to read" list too -- some day when I have time! I read "Lassie Come Home" when I was a kid and also the first "Anne of Green Gables" book. It was central to my childhood! I keep meaning to do a series of posts about the book and visiting Green Gables last summer in PEI. I should get my rear in gear and do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it, Debra! I'd love to hear about that PEI visit!

      Delete
  6. Good for you for confronting that rude woman. Looks like you got some good books too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She just wouldn't back off and it got quite frustrating!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like fun with the exception of the old lady on your heels. I was at a book sale not long ago and had an older women that seemed to keep lurking around me as well. I kept relocating to try to distance myself but she kept popping up like a virulent Whack-a-Mole.

    I have never read the Anne Gable books but I show property from time to time in a community here called Brittany Yesteryear. All the street names are based on characters in the books. Lucy Montgomery Lane, Prince Edward Way, Cavendish Lane etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "like a virulent Whack-a-Mole" BAHAHAHA! I love that, Cheryl! That will have me laughing all day :)

      Street names based on characters in books! That is such a cool community.

      Delete
  8. These are great finds! Enjoy your reading! Too bad about the unpleasant encounter, it happens especially in crowds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does happen, Christine. I don't let such things ruin my day.

      Delete
  9. I re-read the entire Anne series after my hysterectomy. I enjoyed it just as much as the first time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great series! I only read the first two books and I'm looking forward to reading the rest.

      Delete
  10. Anne of Green Gables and Lassie are life time friends of mine.

    Thank you. Andrew got paid last time his band played. He's liking that part of it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exciting, Gail! Of course, he's liking that! I would, too :)

      Delete
  11. Netflix is apparently doing a new series based on Anne of Green Gables

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did well here, enjoy your reading.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such good scores for you. Happy Reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I went back today for their blowout sale. You fill up a box with as many books as you can fill and only pay $10. So cool. Soooo cool!

      Delete
  14. You did score big! Anne of Green Gables was written by a second cousin of my grandmother Myrtle Pratt MacBeath. I spent my early childhood on the Island and the places, people, dialect, and mannerisms are my childhood! I often read the first book to my third graders, and I have created a few serious Anne fans over the years! I greatly admire Maya Angelou!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OHMYGOSH...is that true? That is amazing. You are related to this incredible author. Anne of Green Gables is one of my all-time favourite stories. It was an English teacher in high school that 'made' us read the book. I didn't mind at all. I've always been a book lover!

      Delete
  15. We have a main book fair once a year in town but i can never get to it. We also have very few old books shops and people don't seem to give books to op shops any more, they all go on ebay. So you got some great bargains there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of things seem to be ending up on ebay these days. We are lucky that we have this book fair where you find some real gems sometimes!

      Delete