Friday, October 28, 2016

Another Week

This week zipped right by. It sure was a busy one. My younger daughter arrived Monday evening and stayed with us until last night. She has this week off from school and she was able to get a few days off from work. As soon as she confirmed that she was coming for sure, I did what I always do: I planned a whole day of cooking and baking. All that culinary madness took place on Monday. By the time we picked her up from the bus station at 8 PM that night, the fridge was full of lunches and dinners and desserts, and I had a meal to be placed in the slow cooker the next morning marinating in the fridge. I even packed a container full of white chocolate chip cookies, pumpkin muffins and lemon bread for my daughter to take back with her. All homemade goodies with healthy ingredients.

I don’t worry too much about her when it comes to nutrition because has good eating habits. She knows how to cook and bake, and she enjoys wholesome foods. Despite being busy with school, a job and a very active social life, she eats healthy. I love that she does this. With busy and hectic schedules, and a huge selection of processed foods available, it’s easy to eat badly. It’s frightening how many ‘food-like’ products are on supermarket shelves with very little – if any – nutritional value in them. When we eat that stuff, we are starving our bodies.

Moving on from lecturing...

We got to spend time together and catch up, which was wonderful. I enjoy listening to her voice her opinion on things and I always love hearing about her news. She is so grownup and yet whenever I look at her, I still see the baby I cuddled, the energetic toddler I chased after and the young child I put on the school bus. All that came and went and POOF suddenly she’s in high school. And that came and went and POOF she's off to university. POOF again and she’s moved to another city with her own apartment, attending the second year in university and holding down a part time job.
What??? When did this all happen? She’s the baby of the family. My older daughter already put me through this a few years ago and I was hoping the younger one would slow down a little. But the clock keeps ticking and time keeps rolling along, pushing us all foward.

Can you think of a song with the word time in it? The first one that comes to mind for me is Cyndi Lauper’s “Time After Time”, which was released in 1984. Coincidentally, I was my daughter’s age that year, only 19.

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone.


44 comments:

  1. I'm actually the same age my mother was when she had me, 28

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time in a Bottle.

    Yeah. They grow up so fast. Almost like in blinked and raising them was over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all goes by so fast, doesn't it?

    That is great that your daughter eats a healthy diet. My daughter does too but i think my son goes in spurts. They both know how to prepare healthy foods and recognize what good nutrition looks like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does go by extremely fast. POOF and they're all grown up!

      Delete
  4. I feel the same as you when it comes to my children growing and moving away. It's bitter/sweet. We love them and want to keep them but raise them so they can go out on their own. My son was 47 this week. So I reminded him that he called me an old fart when I was 47. A song line comes to me "for the good times"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What goes around comes around! HAHA... Happy 47th to your son!

      Delete
  5. Glad you had this precious visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a cool story and I like how it ended with you being 19 at that time that song came out.

    Very, very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wonder Woman. I hope you're having a great time with the staycation!

      Delete
  7. A loving mom and her loving daughter...a lovely post, Laura. Very uplifting! Enjoy being together.

    My song...Does Anybody Really Know What Time it Is by Chicago 🕑🕛🕟

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love to spend time with my girls. I am very proud of the young women they have become!

      Delete
  8. I thought of the same song! Then I thought of Time In A Bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going with the Chicago song "Does Anyone Know what Time it is?" I would have gone with Time in a Bottle, but someone already listed that.

    We blink and they grow up! I have spent so much time this past year and this year wondering "where did it all go?" I was just in my 20s and 30s a young mom and now I'm a grandmother. How did that happen?

    I tell young moms to treasure the time they have with their kids and not rush them to do things like walking, talking, sleeping through the night, etc. It is so much fun watching grandson develop his skills (all on time so far) because I'm not "stressing" out "when will he walk", etc., but I can see the steps taken to get from point A to point B.

    I'd do it all again, the good, the bad, the ugly, if I had the chance.

    Sounded like a wonderful time with your daughter! Relish the fact that she is independent, self sufficient, has great eating habits, and still wants to spend time with you :)

    Happy weekend!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice for young moms. Time goes by so quickly; it's nice to cherish the moments before they are all gone. Like you, I would do it all over again. It is a part of my life that holds the most precious memories.

      Delete
  10. Time is on my Side - Rolling Stones. It is nice to have them home, isn't it? Good for her, maintaining a healthy diet because it really is so easy to just eat quick, processed food. And what a good mama you are - sending her off with a care package! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very pleased about her eating habits. These are great habits to get into!

      Delete
  11. Time certainly does fly. I was just thinking about that this morning as I remembered that I have a niece who is just about to turn 28. Crazy fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing, isn't it? I blinked and all the kids grew up!

      Delete
  12. Although I miss having my kids around and fondly remember their childhood days, I'm also very proud of the wonderful young adults they've become. I, too, love it when my kids visit (which isn't often enough!) Glad you got to spend some time with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Linda. It's wonderful knowing they are doing well.

      Delete
  13. it does go by WAY too fast, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A lovely post Martha ... and one many of us relate to.

    I am finding the older I get the more I cherish the wonderful memories and time spent together with loved ones.
    It does get more difficult once they have flown the nest ... but that is how it should be ... they need to fly the nest...
    We can then get-together, as time and different schedules permit, and have a really good and fun catch up.

    Wishing you a good weekend

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it, Jan. They need to start their own lives. I love when I visit with my kids but I'm also very proud that they are out there doing their own thing!

      Delete
  15. If I Could Save Time In a Bottle, the first thing that I'd like to do . . . is to spend a day enjoying my daughter.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spending time with our kids is the best. And daughters are very special.

      Delete
  16. Glad you had a good visit and I hope you have a wonderful Halloween :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds delicious and like a wonderful visit <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. Time goes way too fast. Your cooking day sounds delicious, and I'm sure your daughter appreciated having food to take back, even if she is a wise eater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did, Linda. Who doesn't enjoy that? Happy new week to you!

      Delete
  19. Sounds like you had a wonderful Time! Time does seem to go by so fast now that we are older... my favorite times songs are... Only Time by Enya and Once Upon a Time by Frank Sinatra. Take care Martha and have a Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete