Friday, October 7, 2016

So Much To Be Thankful For

It is Thanksgiving weekend in Canada. I have so much to be thankful for that I don't know where to begin. At the top of the list are the people I love most in this world: my daughters, my husband, my mom and brother. I couldn't ask for a more amazing bunch.

Then there are the usual suspects like living in one of the most beautiful place in the world, not to mention one of the safest, and having a roof over my head, clean water to drink and plenty to eat.

And in addition to all these blessings, I end up coming home with a gift basket like this earlier this week that made my day:


It was given to me by the wife of my hospice client. He is an elderly man that I look after each Wednesday while his family is away. I've been volunteering with the local hospice organization for the past 18 months or so, and for over a year I've been assigned to this wonderful family. The wife is the sweetest, kindest lady on the planet and she is always trying to give me something as a gesture of gratitude. In the beginning, she tried giving me things like gas cards and money, which I promptly refused. I explained to her that we are not permitted to accept anything that didn't fall into the organization's motto, which goes something like this: "If you can't drink it, eat it or grow it, you can't accept it". I explained to her that if I broke this rule, I would be dismissed and couldn't help her family anymore. She understood but because she's the type of person that needs to show appreciation, she decided to work with that motto. Since then, I've been sent home, now and again, with things like jugs of milk, butter, cookies, bottles of Bailey's Irish Cream, fruit juices, fruits, chocolates, candy and so on. When her son takes her shopping, she sometimes picks up something for me. One week, papayas were on sale and she got one for me. I swear. I've told her many times that all this is not necessary and to please stop because I don't want her spending money. She waves this away, bags whatever she has for me and sends me on my way. She is adorable.

This week she stunned me with the fruit basket that is filled with all these edible and drinkable goodies. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. It felt like my heart was being hugged when she handed it to me and said "just a little something to show you how much we appreciate all you do for us." I'm tearing up just writing about this.

Yes, I have so much to be thankful for. I am truly blessed. Especially because of the incredible people that I cross paths with in life. Including all of you!

Have a lovely weekend, everyone. And Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Canucks!

60 comments:

  1. I am totally with you on the "gratitude" train. Every time I watch the news and see the poverty and devastation others have to endure, I am reminded how fortunate we are all snug and safe we and our loved ones are.

    That is a lovely gesture from your client's wife but I suspect that you do more for her family than one could express in mere words. Working with someone in their final phase of life is a generous gift on your part. Not many people can handle that, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be very hard. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to handle it but I surprised myself. I don't think of it as being the last phase of life but rather the person living life to the fullest each day. More about quality than quantity.

      Delete
  2. So uplifting and wonderful, Martha...you are indeed blessed.
    That dear lady is also a blessing as you are to her.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your loved ones~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. I've grown so fond of this family!

      Delete
  3. I hope you'll enjoy your Thanksgiving weekend

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your loved ones, Martha! And thanks for sharing this lovely story. I understand that your hospice patient's wife would want to give you something in gratitude. Not only are you helping her husband, but you are giving her a much needed break. I think you must be an amazing comfort and support for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think one of the most important things is that he is safe. I can't imagine the anxiety people feel when they need someone to look after a vulnerable family member and they have to learn to trust.

      Delete
    2. Terry and I learned that when his mother was under hospice care and died in our home. It was a terribly anxious time. That's why I understand what you mean to them! Also, my siblings and I experienced that when our mother was dying.

      Delete
    3. It is always a stressful and anxious time for loved ones. My father never made it out of the hospital to die at home, which was devastating, but there were so many kind nurses on the floor that treated him with outmost respect right to the end. I'll never forget their kindness. I was so grateful for that.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful gift from a beautiful family. God bless you for volunteering. Happy Thanksgiving!

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful gift! And what a beautiful thing you do each week, giving your time to this family. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina! I think I'm blessed to have met them.

      Delete
  7. A wonderful post Martha ... you are a special person offering much comfort and support, and that gift is perfect.

    Have a wonderful weekend

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan! This family has been a blessing for me.

      Delete
  8. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, Martha!! So much indeed to be thankful for! What a lovely gift basket and you are so kind to volunteer at hospice, rewarding experience I am sure for both you and the families you work with.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed a very rewarding experience, Betty. They are such an amazing family and I'm blessed to have met them.

      Delete
  9. It's good to pay attention to what we can be grateful for.
    Enjoy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Thanksgiving Martha! Thoughtful gifts like these would surely make my day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  11. You are both as lovely as each other! Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Thanksgiving, Martha!
    I am thankful to have met you here. You are a beautiful human being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, thank you so much for that! I feel the same way about you and Ron! And, of course, Miss Sophie :)

      Delete
  13. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, Martha! I didn't know that you volunteer with hospice. That is such a sweet, generous thing to do. I can only imagine how grateful your client's wife is. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are such a beautiful family, Jenn, and I'm grateful to have been placed with them. After a year, I've gotten to know them very well and they feel more like friends than clients. Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  14. Wonderful story and gift.

    Happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope it's a super weekend for you!

      Delete
    2. We really did. I was able to pump gas this weekend. Huge step ahead.

      Glad your Thanksgiving was great fun.

      Delete
    3. So happy things are going well for you. Good stuff!

      Delete
    4. Wanted to make Thanksgiving food tonight but got home too late.

      Got any leftovers?

      Delete
  15. Well, Happy Thanksgiving to you. Somebody really knows how to show appreciation and thanks. I'm sure you earned every bit of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Red! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

      Delete
  16. that is so thoughtful!!! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Why am I not surprised that this is your line of work!
    How sweet!
    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Martha...with your loved ones!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! Happy Thanksgiving. Are you having a gathering?

      Delete
  18. Happy Thanksgiving! She sounds like a wonderful lady, but then so are you. You cross paths with people and spend time with them because they are kind - as you are. Enjoy your holiday with your family

    ReplyDelete
  19. you are very generous dear Martha and love you so much for this .
    that lady sounds with so lovely heart .
    your each word is REAL WORSHIP to your creator because all that he want from his man the sense of gratefulness and love for humanity .
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Baili! You are very kind. I hope you are enjoying a beautiful weekend.

      Delete
  20. What a wonderful way to volunteer...You are truly appreciated. Enjoy your Thanksgiving weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You my dear girl are the very definition of love and kindness and all that is good in this world....God Bless You and yours, always...it's Thanksgiving? oops

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorraine! So nice to see you here. Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  22. Happy Thanksgiving!

    Grateful for your gratitude, it sure feels good to read :o)

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's funny, I've just read this and thought, hang on, it's not thanksgiving, then realised you're in canada and obviously you have it in a different month to the US. And on top of that, I just wrote a thanksgiving scene for my new book today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Thanksgiving is always on the second Monday of October. The U.S. will be next month. We celebrate here but it's not as big a holiday as it is for our southern friends.

      Delete
  24. I'm glad they appreciate you, Martha! What a wonderful acknowledgment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful gift to receive. These are the nicest people.

      Delete
  25. ....in 38 years of life I have never given a gift basket to anybody, ever.
    I will think of this and try to find a worthy recipient.

    ReplyDelete