Friday, October 21, 2016

This Week

Here we are again. The end of another week. It's cold and gloomy and pouring rain outside as I write this. It's the side of the fall season that I don't like. Any day now the leaves on the trees will fall and the raking will begin. Or the mulching. We don't rake or bag or blow leaves; we mulch them into our lawn. And add some into the flower beds, as well. Good eatin' for the garden.


Have you watched any good movies lately? We've been watching some older ones. A few days ago we saw 'Brubaker' starring Robert Redford. It's a prison drama about newly arrived prison warden, Henry Brubaker, who attempts to clean up a corrupt and violent and abusive penal system. It's pretty good. I always enjoy films that Robert Redford is in; he's a good actor.

While watching 'Brubaker', the most amazing man in the world commented on how young Robert Redford is in this film. Of course he is. This movie dates back to 1980. I was young then, too. Only 15. I didn't have grey hair, a mortgage, children I worried about or any other grownup responsibilities. I wasn't dealing with menopause and all its madness. My vision hadn't begun to deteriorate, therefore I didn't have to hold reading material out at arms length (in bright light) or wear reading glasses daily or carry around a mini magnifying glass to read the fine print on products that at my age is one big blur. I didn't have to kick my metabolism in the ass (once upon a time it was a powerhouse) to keep it from spending the day napping. And my body didn't make creaking, popping and rattling sounds. Some of you know what I'm talking about. Some of you are still too young to understand all this but you'll get there one day!


Moving on...

I've been listening to a lot of music lately as I continue to paint furniture, which I'll share photos of eventually since some of you requested some. But not today. Today I will share the video below of the song Renegades by the band X Ambassadors. Maybe you'll like it, too. Or not. Doesn't matter. What does matter is that the weekend is here again and I'm going to wish you all a good one!


40 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful weekend! We have a halloween party tomorrow night, the Cubbies attempt to get in the world series this weekend, and of course Sunday is all day football. Tomorrow, I get to see if I can follow successfully the tutorials to do Day of the Dead face make-up. :0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great weekend Martha, my knees creek too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that person of which you speak...only to well, Martha!!!
    Cute funnies!!! For a minute when I saw that big leaf, I thought that I was back in Miniaturopolis :}

    Have a great weekend~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I liked that cartoon because it reminds me so much about my other blog!
      Enjoy the weekend.

      Delete
  4. Have a good weekend, and watch out for those consolidated leaves! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If only it was one big leaf

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think its great how you mulch the leaves like that back into the soil :) Oh gosh yes I understand the "joys" of aging :) But like my husband reminds me, we should be grateful since some people don't even get to that point :)

    Happy weekend!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet, Betty! Every year that we are older is a blessing. Some people never grow old.

      Delete
  7. You are preaching to the choir, sister!! Sight, metabolism, energy, creaking, let's throw a little memory loss in there, too. Have a splendid weekend! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! Yes, the memory loss, too :) Enjoy the weekend!

      Delete
  8. I kind of like the idea of big leaves. Maybe more than one because you are right that the flower beds can use them for mulch but less than the billion that my 28 trees dump onto my yard. I do bag some as they would suffocate my flower gardens.

    Some days 1980 feels like a long time ago but on other days it doesn't feel all that far removed. I did have children in 1980 but they were little one and still under my control (for the most part).

    I enjoy that song. It is one that I have loaded onto my MP3 player.

    Have a great weekend. Hope the gloomy skies clear for some Autumn sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 28 trees! Yup, that would be about a billion leaves to cleanup :)
      Happy weekend!

      Delete
  9. SO that is what the creaking sound is in my car :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't unfold as easily as I used to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA! I love this comment, Gail. I'll have to use this sometime. It sounds funny!

      Delete
  11. I'm right there with ya. I haven't watched any good movies lately. I probably should.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All those changes! The hormones and my eyesight. I miss those the most.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, you've been busy all week so you deserve a good weekend with some good music. I will be out birding tomorrow afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like fun. I hope you spot some cool birds!

      Delete
  14. We call it, mental-pause.

    But I do gotta say, I love, love, love the rainy cold overcast days as much as the sunshine ones. We don't bag up our leaves either. The ground can eat them. Num, num, num.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind those kind of days sometimes. Perfect for cooking, baking and napping. And painting, too. As long as the house doesn't get too humid!

      Delete
    2. Understandable.

      PS: 4 more sleeps until Halloween Staycation!!!!!

      Delete
    3. Cool beans for that! I was swamped today. Spent it baking and cooking. But so worth it. A lot of good eating around here. Hope your day was a good one, too!

      Delete
  15. I remember Robert Redford from years ago. These days we've got Tom Cruise. Back then it was Robert Redford. He was a good actor in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, I remember. How time flies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure does fly by. There are so many young celebrities on the scene now. Some I recognize, some I have no idea who they are!

      Delete
  16. I'm watching a Canadian series called Ice Pilots which is a reality show but I'm enjoying it and seeing a lot of the NWT. I just mailed a small box to Quebec from here. Ouch! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this post, I like your funnies too ...
    It is true we get old and creaky, but I think that I'm going to use Gail's brilliant words " I don't unfold as easily as I used to."

    Dear Martha I wish you a most pleasant and relaxing weekend, whatever the weather.

    ... and as I enjoy a glass of chilled wine I say Cheers and good health to you!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jan. You are always so thoughtful. I hope you are enjoying a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  18. ah old movies watching brings lots of memories from olden days .Robert's one movie the horse whisperer is my favorite .
    it looks like October has effected you much with beautiful fun loving moments dear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that movie! I even read the book, which I really enjoyed. October has indeed been a good month for me. I have been busy with some fun projects. Thanks for visiting! It's always nice to see you here.

      Delete