Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Project 366: Week 47

One of my favourite photography themes is urban decay. I am fascinated by and drawn to uninhabited areas, deserted buildings, abandoned homes, decommissioned factories and so on. This is the weathered, the grungy, the forgotten. A previously functioning part of a city that has fallen into despair.

What is the appeal? Perhaps it's the history behind these areas that were once alive. Each one has a story to tell. Or maybe it's the spookiness of it all. As I walk through these eerily quiet places, I feel like I'm on a set of a horror movie. But most of all, I believe it's the imagination it sparks. I picture them as post-apocalyptic visions into what our world would look like if humanity would end. Chilling. And sobering.

This week's photo theme: Urban Decay


Friday, November 18, 2016
The Busy Wall
"There is so much to appreciate in this area from a photographic perspective.”

Project 366, Day 323: The Busy Wall


Saturday, November 19, 2016
Double Entry
"Door number one or door number two? Which will you choose?”

Project 366, Day 324: Double Entry


Sunday, November 20, 2016
The Red Door
"Still eye catching despite the peeling paint.”

Project 366, Day 325: The Red Door


Monday, November 21, 2016
Closed
“Out of business.”

Project 366, Day 326: Closed


Tuesday, November 22, 2016
Deserted
"No signs of life."

Project 366, Day 327: Empty


Wednesday, November 23, 2016
Missing Pieces
"It looks like there were other buildings attached to these walls at some point.”

Project 366, Day 328: Nooks and Crannies


Thursday, November 24, 2016
Vegetation
“Plant life lives on in this abandoned area.”

Project 366, Day 329: Vegetation


What I've learned this week:
The smallest things can bring you the greatest joy.
Sometimes there just aren’t enough hours in the day. Other times, there are too many.
Gain control of your emotions before you speak and avoid saying something you’ll regret.
If you try to appeal to everyone, you’ll end up appealing to no one. Just be yourself.

Have a wonderful day, everyone!

36 comments:

  1. Spooky when you think about it. They were once habitated at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have an amazing eye for urban decay. These are often my favourite photos of yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra! This is definitely a favourite theme for me. There is a lot of emotion involved.

      Delete
  3. I love these photos. Have you seen any of the YouTube videos of abandoned buildings, theme parks, and houses? I find them strangely fascinating.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have, Janie! And I've checked out many links to amazing captures. They are quite fascinating. There is a lot of history and imagination and emotion in these buildings/areas.

      Delete
  4. I have a real love of pictures of doorways. I have no idea why they appeal to me but they do. These are so interesting.

    I love your comments....esp. the one about getting emotions under control before speaking. If only more people would adopt that philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, as well! And windows. There is something quite fascinating about them.

      Delete
  5. Nice collection of photos! I, too am drawn to old, dilapidated buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are all great. I too am fascinated with dilapidated buildings or vacant buildings. You wonder what the story was behind it all.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it, Betty. You wonder what the story behind them is. Some of them go way back and there is history included.

      Delete
  7. very effective photos on the topic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't that red door nice ...

    I always think it a shame when buildings are empty and unused - but it is happening more and more.

    I do agree with you, it's the history behind these areas, each one does have a story to tell.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a shame, Jan. Sometimes they just sit there like that for years and entire areas are abandoned.

      Delete
  9. Great photos this week, Martha! Our community has many old building and has no plans for them. They just keep building new ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is like that just about everywhere. It's very sad.

      Delete
  10. You make decay very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You went to some very creepy places. I hope you had some company . Control of oneself is mandatory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I always put safety first! Part of this area is abandoned and part of it is industrial. I went there that day to attend an annual book sale in a warehouse located in this industrial section. There were a lot of people there that day! I was never alone.

      Delete
  12. I'm afraid I had trouble seeing the beauty in these! Give me nature or non-decayed urban scenes any day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I find decaying buildings fascinating too, Martha, and these are compelling photographs. I want to know all the stories that go with the buildings. So much life that was lived. I recently read "Station Eleven" which was a fascinating, but chilling, post-apocolyptic book by Emily St. John Mandel ~ set partly in Toronto. I'm home again for a few days, so I'm catching up with home things before I turn around again and rejoin Terry in Bullhead City, Arizona. I'm happy to be home, but also happy to have dependable internet at had for a few days. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fascinated with these places, Louise. So many emotions go through me. I'd like to eventually spend more time locating and photographing these areas. And finding out their history if possible. Photography is not just about pretty pictures; it tells stories. One image can evoke so many emotions. I think that's what I love about this art.

      Delete
  14. These photos are striking and among all of the issues you raise, they also point out how much waste of resources and space we allow. I hope you are having a good day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right! We waste so much.
      I hope you are also having a good day!
      Thank you!

      Delete
  15. well, I'm not personally into urban decay, but I do love rustic barns. To each our own, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love rustic barns, too! Another favourite photo theme. I've probably photographed every old barn around here.

      Delete
  16. Still fairly red for how old it must be. Red fades faster than any other color with yellow and orange not far behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea about the fading. That's very interesting!

      Delete
  17. These doors are great. You inspire me to shoot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy these types of photography shoots. I should get out and get some old barn shots. I haven't done that in a long time!

      Delete