Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Question Of The Day


When I studied computer programming during my single mom years, I shared the classroom with one of the most arrogant and self-centered men I’d ever run across in my life. He bragged about his stuff (car, money, fancy clothes, looks), had a huge sense of entitlement, believed he was the center of the universe and expected everyone to treat him accordingly. He was always late, made a lot of noise when he finally arrived, spoke out when he shouldn’t, often disrupted the class and made a real nuisance of himself. My kids who were 18 months and 6 ½ at the time behaved better.

Then one day, the teacher finally had had enough of his class being disrupted with late arrivals, so he decided that he’d lock the door five minutes after he started teaching and whoever didn’t get in on time would have to wait outside until the first break.

Well, guess who ended up on the other side of the door? Yup, mister high and mighty. He didn’t realize at first that the door was purposely locked, so he knocked on it. The teacher pointed to his watch and wouldn’t open. So the banging on the door began. The teacher told him through the door that he couldn’t come in until the break. This led to banging and punching and yelling and kicking and swearing.

To make a long story short, when Mr. Arrogant finally got back into class, he started complaining and whining and playing victim. I couldn’t take it anymore so I turned to him and said “Why don’t you just sit down and be quiet? You’re such a nuisance.” This was really out of character for me because I don’t like confrontations. But I, along with many others, was very serious about my studies and so fed up with his nonsense that I just couldn’t help myself.

Well, when you have a sense of entitlement you cannot fathom anyone speaking to you this way, so he turned to me and told me to mind my own business, reminding everyone who he is, what he has, how much trouble he can cause for this mistreatment, blah, blah, blabbity, blah. “Who cares?” I said. “That doesn’t impress me. You’re still a jerk.” I turned my back on him and focused on my work. He mumbled a few things under his breath and finally sat down.

Which brings me to today’s question. Every time I hear Shania Twain’s song “That don’t impress me much” I remember that day. And smile.



How about you? What song reminds you of an incident in your life?

38 comments:

  1. That is such a great story. When we who have been 'doormats' finally stick up for ourselves, it is very empowering, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is! These moments are far and few in between for me because I prefer quiet in my life, but sometimes it's necessary to speak up.

      Delete
  2. Good for you for sticking up for yourself and others in the class...I'm a Shania fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her music! She's got the most amazing voice.

      Delete
  3. Glad the instructor decided to take a stand against him by locking the door and then you speaking up too. I probably would have done the same :)

    The song "You Don't Bring Me Flowers Anymore" song by Barbra Streisland and Neil Diamond. Think of it when I remember our 1st Valentine Day as newlyweds. Hubby comes home with an ironing board as a gift (I was thinking flowers, candy). In all honesty, it was a very thoughtful gift because we didn't have one at the time and I would iron on the floor by spreading a big towel on the floor and using that as a board :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this story, Betty! There is so much love in it. He was trying to make it easier for you. Perhaps not the gift you'd have chosen but he was being very thoughtful!

      Delete
  4. I'd have to say any Rod Stewart song. I grew up in the 1970s when he was big.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for that teacher and good for you. Hearing songs by certain bands reminds me of attending their concerts, which gives me happy thoughts.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What was your first concert, Janie? Mine was Black Sabbath. What a night that was. I should write about it some time.

      Delete
  6. what a great story Martha! It must have felt good to speak your mind in this instance, never an easy thing, at least for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did feel good. And it's never easy for me. I do not like confrontations!

      Delete
  7. Great story! I'm like you, very nonconfrontational. Despite this, I'm glad you stood up to this bully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not often I speak up like this but this was beyond my tolerance point! I prefer to have quiet in my life.

      Delete
  8. Good story and such a perfect song to go with it!

    I don't know if "incident" is what it reminds me of, but whenever I hear "Don't Speak" by No Doubt a lot of memories and emotions regarding the time I spent in Kentucky during elementary school come up for me. It's a little confusing enjoying the song but feeling a lot of negative emotions get stirred up at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I didn't know that song so I went to look it up. Turns out I do! The lyrics are very bittersweet.

      Delete
  9. I'm glad you and the teacher stood up to that man! It probably did him good not to have his way for once.

    "Waltz Across Texas" reminds me of Mr. Norton playing his accordion, and his wife singing along (I posted a video of them last year). The Nortons were such a wonderful couple, and I think of the day Mr. Norton brought us over an accordion--when our kitchen was a mess from canning tomatoes! Mrs. Norton passed away this year, and they played How Great Thou Art at her funeral. So, now I think of her on that song as well.

    Victor Hugo said, "Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent." And I think that is so true. I just love playing the piano, because I can express so many thoughts that otherwise would remain trapped inside. It's so relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bethany I love that Victor Hugo quote! That is lovely. But it reminds me of the slightly less romantic "dancing is the vertical expression of a horizontal desire".

      Delete
    2. It's so rare I reach that point, Bethany, but I'd never before experienced such a level of entitlement and arrogance. It was just incredible. Did it do him any good? I highly doubt it. But one thing's for sure, he kept his distance from me from that day forward :)

      I'm so sorry to hear about Mrs. Norton! May she rest in peace. I remember that video. Such a loving couple that reminded me of my own parents.

      That is a great quote! Music expresses our emotions much more profoundly that words do and it is a universal language.

      Delete
  10. Oh this is such a good post. There are so many songs that are tied to so many memories. I won't share the memories, but the songs range from Burning Down the House, America's Greatest Hits, songs by Boy George, Wham, Genesis, the Rolling Stones... even Thank God I'm a Country Boy. The memories just keep coming. As per Mr. High and Mighty, good for you standing up to him. I would be thinking all of those things, but wouldn't have the nerve to say them! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many good songs to stir up memories! Thank goodness for music, I tell you. It makes life that much more interesting.

      I generally do not behave that way but this man was way beyond tolerable. We all have our breaking points!

      Delete
  11. That done reminds me of an ex boyfriend. Ugh. What was I thinking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have moments like that in our life, Birdie. Live and learn!

      Delete
  12. I'm glad you told that guy off. some of the jerks never learn and he sounds like one who would never learn. My song: I love a rainy night. One evening there were severe thunderstorms. We ended up going to a drive in restaurant. Eddie Rabbit sang his song. I still like the song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great song! So fitting for the memory you shared.

      As for that guy, I have a feeling nothing has changed with him. In fact, I bet he's even worse now.

      Delete
  13. Wow, I actually think I have too many to mention.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you, Martha! A pivotal point in your life I am sure.
    'Midnight Train To Georgia' by Gladys Knight and the Pips....1973. The summer I met my husband, ROn. The rest is history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a great moment, Jim! 1973 was a very good year :)

      Delete
  15. Do you know ...
    I just can't think of one at the moment ...

    Enjoyed reading your post though, thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a problem, Jan! Sometimes it's like that. I hope you had a lovely day.

      Delete
  16. Music is a huge part of me growing up as i spent most of the time alone and listening to my walkman / discman / smartphone. I cannot sing well and i dont play any instruments.
    i have many songs that i like.
    "everybody loves somebody sometimes"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could form a band of people who don't sing well and can't play instruments, but still enjoy music :)

      I like that song you mentioned!

      Delete
  17. Don't have songs that remind me of times in my life, but, when I was writing my first novel Pink's U + Ur Hand was out and it inspired a bar fight scene in the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I know that one. I'll have to look it up and listen to it!

      Delete