Saturday, December 31, 2016

Saying Goodbye To 2016

Here we are at the end of another year. And like I’ve done with all the others that have come and gone, I find myself reflecting on the past twelve months. Not only on world events but also on me as an individual. Have I grown as a person? In the right direction? Have I been impatient at times? Selfish? Insensitive? Or ungrateful? Have I practiced kindness, compassion, understanding and tolerance? Particularly where it’s most needed. Have I left behind a gentle footprint? Did I fulfill all my goals? Am I satisfied as I look back? Would I change anything?

The truth of the matter is that I am not fully satisfied. Looking back, I realize that there are things I did that I shouldn’t have done. And things I didn’t do that I should have. I know I could have done better. I know I could have done differently. I know that I could have handled x, y and z in another way. A better way. But that’s the thing with hindsight. It’s 20/20. We evaluate past experiences through a perfect lens and would make better choices in the present time than when we had to make them.


On a personal level, 2016 was not the best year nor was it the worst. It lacked stimulation and motivation and enthusiasm but thankfully it also lacked grief and struggles and tragedy. It was a roller coaster ride that had some highs and lows but nothing earth shattering. And just when the most amazing man in the world and I thought the year would end in the same direction it had been headed toward for so many months - WHAM - it took a sharp, completely unexpected turn right before Christmas and placed us on a new path. 2016 certainly surprised us. In a good way. (I’ll write about all this in January.)


I am not a backward facing person, so although I may have regrets, I don’t dwell on them. What has happened has happened. With each new day comes the ability to undo what’s done or redo what unraveled. With each new day there is the opportunity to change direction, to make better or different choices, to set and fulfill new goals, to walk a gentler and kinder path, to continue to grow as a human being and to be at peace with one’s soul. With each new day we are given a blank page on which to rewrite the story of our lives. And with each new year we can look forward to 365 of those pages to get it right.

So I say goodbye to this year and all that defined it, and welcome 2017. I will embrace the next twelve months and all the possibilities they will bring with them. And will trust in the magic of new beginnings.

And finally, thank you to all my blogging pals for sharing another year with me in this amazing thing we call life. The journey has been that much more wonderful with all of you in it.

Happy New Year, everyone!

34 comments:

  1. It's been nice to get to know you in the last few weeks. Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you, Martha. You have me very intrigued!! I have absolutely loved reading your blog this year and am looking forward to more great posts. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenn! I'm looking forward to your blog posts for 2017!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad to have found your blogs, Martha. Your positivity is contagious :) Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's to a wonderful 2017 for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year and a successful 2017. I like the way you put order to things so that they can be evaluated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Red! I hope you have a great 2017. Looking forward to your blog posts in 2017.

      Delete
  6. Yes, so much opportunity awaits.
    Have a warm-loving, safe, and healthy New Year, Martha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 365 days of opportunity! All the best for 2017, Robyn!

      Delete
  7. Happy New year to you! I've enjoyed your posts, and especially the Monday funnies. All the best in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! I'm looking forward to more of your beautiful photos. Happy 2017!

      Delete
  8. Hey Martha,

    That's the positive spirit, my lovely friend. Here's to a peaceful adventure in 2017.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice to hear from you, Gary! Happy and healthy 2017 to you!

      Delete
  9. Such a thoughtful contemplative post. Happy 2017 to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is good to do a review like you did to know what you need to change. I agree that it is best to not dwell on past mistakes. Glad to have discovered your great blog this year, wish I would have sooner though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year's Martha! (Did you sell your house, was that the wonderful close to 2016??) I fretted and worried too much of the second half of 2016. If I could have a 'do over' I would do over that and just relax and try to trust God. I can only hope I remember that lesson in the new year!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll just have to wait and see, Betty :)

      Hindsight is 20/20 and we wish we had done things differently. Oh well, live and learn! I wish you a wonderful 2017!

      Delete
  12. Thanks for being such an honest blogger and a great friend, Martha. You're the real Wonder Woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wonder Woman! But the cape belongs to you. Maybe I'll just borrow it sometimes :) Wishing you and your honey bunny a wonderful 2017!

      Delete
  13. Loved reading your post Martha ... and looking forward to seeing and reading more in 2017.
    Each day does bring new opportunity, may 2017 be a good one for you and yours.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jan. I wish you a wonderful 2017! Looking forward to more of your lovely posts, especially those delicious recipes you share.

      Delete
  14. Happy new year! Red sent me over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenn! That's really nice of Red. He is one of my favourite bloggers! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  15. Still trying to get caught up. Things are starting to slow down so I am eager to get all your posts read. I am eager to find out what is going on with you. Did you sell your home?

    As for the subject of New Years as a time of reflection and introspection. This is why you would be my BFF if we lived next door to each other...you care enough to want to move in the right direction and be a better person. I don't think a lot of people give it any thought as to what they did wrong or, more importantly, what they need to do better in the new year. The fact that you strive to be a better person, makes you a BETTER person.

    I wish you and your awesome husband have the most glorious 2017 and everything wonderful falls into your laps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Cheryl, thank you :) It would be so much fun if we lived close to each other. We'd be very good friends indeed. Thank goodness for blogging. At least we've crossed paths!

      Delete