Tuesday, December 27, 2016

The Day After The Day After Christmas

So here we are on the day after the day after Christmas. On the morning of the 25th, we drove to our hometown and spent the day with family and friends. This year we did something completely different for the first time ever. We went out to eat instead. We met up at a buffet restaurant with my mom, my brother and his wife, my older daughter and her boyfriend, my aunt (my mom’s sister), my cousin (son of aunt) and his wife, and my cousin’s daughter. We usually don’t get together with my aunt and my cousins, so it was especially fun!

Then we drove back to my mom’s place (less aunt and cousins) to hang out and open gifts. This Christmas we decided we’d each bring one present (no more than $30), pool them all together, pick a number from a bag and choose a gift from the pot. It was a lot of fun. And yes, there was some trading going on at the end.

In the evening, we visited with my father-in-law for a little while and had some cookies and tea with him. After we left his place, we drove over to my best friend’s house and enjoyed some time with her and her husband. We returned to my mom’s place at the end of that night (that’s where we were staying) and slept like logs.



The next day we had coffee and toast with my mom, drove to my mother-in-law’s to visit with her and then headed over to my older daughter’s home for a bit. We had originally planned to go for breakfast with my brother and his wife that morning and visit with everyone else later in the day, but we had to rearrange our plans and head home earlier because the forecast was calling for freezing rain that afternoon. And you don’t want to get stuck in that.

Despite the visit being cut short, we all had a wonderful time. The only one missing was my younger daughter. She decided to accept an invitation from her father to go to Florida for a week. We really missed her but she will be coming home this Friday for a few days and the three of us will share a late Christmas.


So we ran around for a couple of days and returned home exhausted. And all talked-out. That’s what I told the most amazing man in the world “I’m all talked-out”. There was so much conversation in such a short period of time that my head hurt by the time we got home. I’m an introvert, after all, and there’s a limit to the amount of blabbity-blabbity-blabbity-blah I can handle before my brain feels bruised.

That’s my news. How were your holidays?

34 comments:

  1. We went out to eat at 7pm, that was a huge mistake. 35 min wait and you had to send a telegram to your waiter if you wanted something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peopled out, yeppers. It's great to visit and get out and have fun but boy oh boy oh boy, is it ever the best to come home and be done, too.

    My Mamam (grandma), used to say when company left her house (picture a round 4foot2 granny with a thick Hungarian accent and big smile), she would put her hands on the shoulder of who was leaving her house first and say to them very nicely, "Thank you for coming and thank you for going."

    I love that!

    It's our last day of Christmas weekend. We're headed to Barnes for a short spell. Have a groovy day and boogie boogie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like being at home and done with all that. It's great getting together with people we love but sooner or later our energy runs out!

      Delete
  3. Martha, I love the title of this post. I think your Christmas events sound perfect, and maybe a bit exhausting from the driving, the visiting, the talking... I wonder how your daughter found Christmas in Florida to be? Has she ever experienced one without a typical Canadian winter? Take the time to relax today. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has never been away from a typical Canadian Christmas. I'm curious to find out when I see her later this week how she felt about that. My guess is she had a great time but also missed being with us.

      Delete
  4. Sounded like a lot of fun! I think its good to mix things up a bit and not get "stuck" in the same traditions, so good for you all for going out to eat, etc. Good too that you will be able to celebrate again Christmas later this week when your daughter returns from Florida :)

    Our holiday was really nice. Very low key which was appreciated very much!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed doing something different. Perhaps we'll do this again next year! Who knows...

      Delete
  5. Oh, do I understand being all talked out. Introvert here, too :)

    Sounds like a wonderful holiday - and you'll get to have another mini-one with your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As an introvert you totally understand how exhausting all this can be! It'll take days for us to recharge!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a busy and wonderful holiday doing the important things! We were visiting visiting friends and family, exchanging gifts and eating a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a great time, Christine! I bet you had a lot of good food to enjoy.

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful time you must have had but I definitely understand the introvert hangover!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too much socializing for this introvert! Time to recharge the batteries...

      Delete
  8. Sounds as if you had a wonderful few days.
    Take time to recover before the New Year weekend arrives!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have an introvert hangover too. I only had a sip of wine for toasting but I feel pummelled. It was wonderful though. I wouldn't change a thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! The introvert hangover was well worth it :)

      Delete
  10. Some day IO'm going to try the restaurant buffet for Christmas. then we can spend the rest of the day taking it easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first time in my life we've done something like this and I have to say that it was wonderful! No hours spent cooking, no cleanups, nothing. Just enjoying each other! This may become a new thing for us.

      Delete
  11. I am glad you had a nice Christmas. I understand how you feel, my hubby and I are introverts and after any gathering we are mentally exhausted for days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I get the introvert hangover completely. Unfortunately missed my festivities due to stomach bug and still tired...Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear that! I hope you are feeling much better.

      Delete
  13. Now THAT was a lot for any introverted types, Martha!But you survived to tell the story.
    We did something new.....had our Christmas dinner prepared and packaged on Christmas Eve for the 25th. I think we will continue this one as it was delicious!! And no clean up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great plan, Jim! Then you could just enjoy the company without all the stress of preparing and cleaning up!

      Delete
  14. I think this Christmas might have been even more exhausting than usual, since it's the first year I'm not single, so we celebrated with the boyfriend's family first and then with mine. Luckily he's an introvert too, so on the 26th we both hid away in our respective homes and didn't talk to anyone all day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Introverts need to hide after all that socializing, so we can recharge. It is very exhausting!

      Delete
  15. Martha, I think you hit the nail on the head for me. I was tired and we didn't do much but we did do a lot of talking; i.e. phone, skype, visits. I'm not used to talking so much anymore. So glad you had a nice and fun holiday with loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All that talking can be very exhausting. I had a wonderful time while doing it but a break with long periods of silence was needed after that!

      Delete
  16. I am an extrovert and an introvert. As much as I like showing off and being the social butterfly, I am stressed out and awkward
    with people and situations that I don't know....Crowds are a nono

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you're an ambivert! Right smack in the middle of both :)

      Delete