Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Our 2016 (Part 5 - Conclusion)

The story continues from last time...

December, which is usually a very quiet month around here in real estate, for obvious reasons, turned out to be busy. We went through the motions of showing our home to potential buyers but with little to no hope of a positive outcome. Because even though we had successfully brought in two offers, we were still here.

I personally was counting the days till December 20th because that was the day our listing was expiring and our plan was to remove our home from the market for the holidays and keep it off until about the end of January. After an extensive and stressful home selling period in a taxing and wearying year, this was a very welcome and much needed break.

Well...

Five days before our house was set to disappear off the market, we received a call from an agent. He had clients that wanted to see our place. Could they come by tomorrow (Friday, December 16)? We couldn’t accommodate the time because we had another scheduled visit, but agreed on a time for the next day. On Saturday the clients came for a viewing, and according to their agent, were very pleased. They must have been because they set up a second visit for Sunday.

Monday afternoon their agent emailed us a written offer from his clients...with exactly the amount we had hoped for! We had conflicting emotions. On one end we were ecstatic because we had received a price we were very happy with. But on the other, we were prepared for disappointment. After all, we’d been down this road before with two previous offers and both of them had fallen apart.

I told the most amazing man in the world: “2016 is either going to end on the same shitty note and give us a final kick in the head. Or it’s going to feel remorse and atone for its sins by giving us the gift of a sold home before it retires.

Turns out...

We came to an agreement on the offer by 6 PM that evening. An inspection was scheduled and conducted two days later (Wednesday afternoon). And on Friday, December 23 we closed on our home. Two days before Christmas! We have cuts and bruises and scrapes but - doggone it - the most amazing man in the world and I did it! We sold our home all on our own. And we’re still standing.

2016 was a very surprising year. Almost until the very end it was taxing and wearying. But it decided to turn itself around before it handed the reins over to 2017 and make it up to us. Atonement.

All is forgiven, 2016

Thank you, everyone, for following along! We have big changes coming up this year that I’ll be sharing with you. 2017 is going to be a very interesting year.

(P.S – I laughed out loud at the comment Toni left on yesterday's part of this story: "You better have a good excuse for leaving us hanging...like maybe you're packing!" Because that is exactly what I've been doing!)

57 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you and most amazing man. Wonderful news. (Your story makes me forgive 2016 just a little bit)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Toni. And I'm glad my little story helps forgive an itsy bitsy part of 2016 :)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on a successful sale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CONGRATS!!!! Well done.

    Fun story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! It also helped me relieve some of the stress of that entire period by writing it all down.

      Delete
  4. Such exciting news to hear!!! Congrats on selling the house on your own!! I await to hear what 2017 has in store for you both! Happy packing!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Betty! It's been quite an experience. A little stressful but also very educational.

      Delete
  5. Now I want to hear all about your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yippee and many, many congratulations.
    Well done you two ... I think I'll pour a chilled glass of white wine and celebrate with you LOL!

    Cheers, this is super news.

    I think the way you've been telling and sharing your story, your journey has been incredible.
    I wish you and your most amazing man ... good health, good happiness and a fantastic 2017 in your new home.
    Now it may also be time to do a happy dance - bet you've been doing one!

    All the best Jan

    PS Happy packing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, thank you so much for this lovely message and your continuing support! I hope you enjoyed the wine :)

      I am happily packing. We took a lot time getting here but here we are!

      Delete
  7. I'm very happy for you Martha! Hearing how everything worked out for you gives me hope as well. All the best in your packing and moving! It must be so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY! So exciting! I'm happy for you -- and keen to hear what's next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debra! We've got some interesting changes coming up and I will write about them soon!

      Delete
  9. It all sounds exciting! All the best for the move!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wooo hooo! You did it!!! And you get to keep the percentage of the sale of the house that you would have had to pay a real estate agent. When do they officially take possession? Are you purging? Are you excited? Do you have another place in mind? Are you tired of my questions yet? -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! You make me smile, Jenn. I never get tired of your questions, so ask away. And these are good questions, too. I will address just about all of them soon enough. It's just been hard keeping up with everything lately. Thanks for your support!

      Delete
  11. wow this is fantastic news, congrats, you guys did it! And on your own too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. congrats, and wow, an intensely fast close!!! :o

    ReplyDelete
  13. In real estate you never can tell. we found the same with our resort lot. We had many visitors but only one offer. the offer was weird but it closed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so happy for you. Maybe you should go into real estate. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following along and for your support! Real estate isn't really my thing but I'd happily promote people selling their own homes if need be.

      Delete
  15. After all that, I'm glad you sold your house!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good for you! I look forward to hearing more about your changes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic! I wondered all 2016 what was going on with your home selling! So happy it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy! Now you know why I didn't write anything about it during the year.

      Delete
  18. YES! Good work you two!
    Gives me hope that it IS possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is absolutely possible, Jim! More than 50% of homes in Quebec are sold by the owner. Since that's our hometown, it kind of figures we ended up doing it hat way :)

      Delete
  19. Congratulations! Loved all the "Our 2016" posts and look forward to less stressful "Our 2017" posts next year ;o) High tens to you and most amazing man for gettin' the sale! Woo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hannah! It's been quite an experience. Now it's time to move on!

      Delete
  20. Wonderful news. I bet it feels like a thousand pound weight was lifted off your shoulders. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful to read and what a way to start a new year !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy! It is indeed a great way to start the year.

      Delete
  22. One of the benefits of falling behind visiting my blogging friends is that I could start at Part 1 and read to the happy conclusion! Big changes in 2016 indeed ~ selling your home, becoming empty nesters, and your hubby retiring! I retired at 62 and haven't looked back. My hubby retired at 64 and hasn't looked back. I just wish he had retired a little sooner. Retirement is awesome, and I'm so glad that we saved and saved and saved. Right now we are engaged in the "Where Are We Going to Live the Rest of Our Lives?" debate. I'll be glad when we come to a decision. Good luck with the pitching as well as the packing. What fun ~ to look back on!!! Take care, Martha. Now George can put that spare time to work tackling the move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! We're in between homes but I don't mind. At least our house sold and we can start planning the next stage in our lives. After we find a permanent location and the dust settles, I'm hoping we can take a vacation somewhere. Near a beach! That would be great.

      So funny about you reading all these blog posts because I'm doing the same with your blog tonight. I spent the early part of the day packing and took the night off to drink tea and play catch up. Your blog posts always pile up because I don't like to rush them. I leave them until I have time to properly read them.

      Delete
    2. thanks for the kind words and encouragement, Martha!

      Delete
  23. Wow :) Your adventure was so exciting, you actually made me read Part 1 - 5. :D Thanks for sharing your story, it made me happy inside. :) Congratulations to both of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zaki! I'm glad you enjoyed it. And I appreciate you stopping by and leaving a comment!

      Delete