Wednesday, April 26, 2017

You Asked, I Answer (Introversion, Happily Ever Afters, Pakistan and New Home)

Another week means another round of answers to your questions. Here we go...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tina asked:
How much of an introvert are you?

I am very much an introvert. When I do too much 'people-ing', I end up needing a period of total isolation to recharge my internal batteries. This can be a day or two or a week or two. It depends on how much people-ing I did and how exhausted it left me. It’s not that I don’t like to socialize. I do. But I prefer to get together with a select group of close friends or family members that I can have sincere and meaningful conversations with. And I particularly like a one-on-one heartfelt connection with someone whose company I really enjoy.

I'm not a big fan of parties or spending time with large groups of people, especially if most of them are unfamiliar, but sometimes it's necessary. I attend and make the best of it, and unless I'm having a lot of fun, I bolt as soon as it’s polite enough to do so.

On the other hand, I do enjoy being in public crowds where small talk and interaction is not necessary and where I can sit quietly and simply observe my surroundings. These public spaces include parks, malls, popular venues, bookstores, museums, restaurants, vacation resorts, beaches, theatres, and so on. In these settings I'm connected yet disconnected, if that makes any sense.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linda asked:
Can I have a happily ever after like you? I want what you got.

Anyone can have a happily ever after. But not all ‘happily ever afters’ are equal. Each one of us defines it in a different way. When I was searching for mine, I knew exactly what I wanted and needed. And I was ready to take on all the responsibilities, commitments, compromises and sacrifices that came with it. My husband is the most amazing man in the world to me but he might not be to someone else.

We are all searching for something or someone to make life’s journey that much more interesting. Whether it’s a partner, a job, faith, a pet or a calling that will add a certain joy in our lives, there is a happily ever after for all. You just have to know which one’s for you and make it happen.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baili asked:
What do you know about my continent Asia and country Pakistan, any personal opinion on the base of knowledge?

And...

Are you done with your new home settlement and how are your new neighbors there?

Aside from its location and that Pakistan is one of the most populous countries in the world, I’m afraid I know little to nothing about your country. The same goes for the continent of Asia. I have general knowledge that I either learned in school or on my own over the years, but there is so much that I don’t know. I love learning about different cultures and traditions, so I always enjoy when you share what you eat, what you do, what you enjoy and what surrounds you on your blog. It gives me a glimpse into your part of the world, which is not only educational but also fun!


We are far from being fully settled in our new home. Although most rooms are functional and a few are fully done, many still need a good scrubbing and a fresh coat of paint. And a lot of our stuff is still in boxes. We are moving forward but there is still plenty of work ahead of us. When we first moved here, I was sure we'd be done by the end of April but quickly realized that it’s an unrealistic goal. The entire house from top to bottom and inside out (including garage, garden, walkway, patio, balcony, etc.) needs a facelift. We estimate that we’ll reach our goal some time in the summer. Or fall. Thankfully, the house has no major issues and all this work, although exhausting, is purely aesthetical.

Our neighbours seem nice enough and certainly very quiet, but we’ll probably get to know them much better now that spring is here and people get outside more. There is one neighbour that we know more than all the others because he is the one that sold this house to us (he was the real estate agent hired to sell it). He lives right across the street!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's all for now, folks. I'll be back next week with more. Have a good one!

41 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your answers today Martha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree finding your own Happy Ever After is something we all want, but finding it and achieving it, isn't always so easy.

    Great answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. Sometimes it's difficult. Everyone has their own story to tell and their own path to take.

      Delete
  3. I liked how you answered the happily ever after one. Lots of good wisdom there!!! I'm similar with you and being an introvert. I could actually be a hermit too and never leave the house, though I do enjoy people watching :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As introverts, we do need our time alone. It's so important to us.

      Delete
  4. "Introvert Hangover" -- oh, I know what THAT is, lol! We introverts need to stick together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it is up to us. Well said. Here's the quiet people next door. Bonus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a bonus when the neighbours are quiet. I'll know more about that now that people are stepping outdoors. Hopefully my first impression is the actual one!

      Delete
    2. I'm thinking it will be. Happy Friday.

      Delete
    3. Happy Friday, Wonder Woman! And I hope you have an awesome weekend, too.

      Delete
    4. Thanks. Just playing in my lab right now. Waiting for my second round of carrot crisps to leave the oven. Before this, apple. The apple are gone. They were soooooooo good.

      What's on your menu for today?

      Delete
    5. Yesterday we had waffles for dinner. And lots of fruit. Sometimes we like light suppers like that. I'm always good with fruit and I love most of it. I don't like heavy meals, so days like this are good. Today it's cloudy and rainy; a good day to relax and catch up on some reading.

      Delete
    6. That sounds like my kind of food. Love it. Enjoy your reading. Cold here today again.

      Delete
  6. Excellent answer on the happy ever after! The rest, too, but especially that one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! I truly believe that we each define it in our own way.

      Delete
  7. This is fun, I am enjoying learning more about you. I am an introvert too and understood what you wrote because I am exactly the same way. We are always the first to leave parties, weddings, etc. Even if I have a good time somewhere, I also need to be alone and recharge for a long time after. And I love NYC and being in the crowds there, I always thought I was odd in being introverted and liking NYC< but I am glad you like crowds too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand how you're comfortable in crowds in NYC! I would be, too. It doesn't bother me at all being immersed in all the action but somehow being detached at the same time.

      Delete
  8. How nicely you managed to answer with such ease and wisdom dear Martha!


    Like you i too enjoy my isolation because it reveals lot more than parties do .
    i agree that each has his own happily ever after and choose his own way to reach it .beautifully answered .

    thank you for answering my question ,yes Pakistan is sixth most populous country on the world map, it got freedom from British rule in 1047 , but English is still official language here.
    It has world's second highest mountain k.2 in northern .,world's biggest system of canals ,
    people vary from Provence to Provence though but very warm ,emotional and hardworking.

    i am glad you found good neighborhood as it is kind of must to live peacefully .

    really wish that you be able to finish your house tasks atleast till summers .
    it is wise to take breaks though because physical and mental health comes first .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is all fascinating, Baili! I should look up all that information since I enjoy learning about different areas of the world. I'm especially fascinated by different cultures and traditions. All the diversity makes the world very interesting. I hope you continue to share information on your blog because I really enjoy when you do.

      Delete
  9. Very interesting, Martha! I am not completely comfortable with small talk, especially when I don't really know people and I like my quiet alone time, too. Hope the house progress is going well. I didn't know the person who sold it to you was right across the street! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is the real estate agent that was showing the home. We found it cute and funny when he showed up at the house with his slippers when we first came to see it. I think that was a huge selling point for us. We've met some blowhard agents in the past couple of years and this man's down to earth attitude was quite refreshing.

      Delete
  10. Nice answers, Martha. I completely understand the introvert hang over. Best of luck with your remaining projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, e! One project at a time...we'll eventually get them all done.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for answering my question! I am very much an introvert, too. After a time of being around even a few people, I need some alone time. But I understand what you mean about crowds. As long as it's not too noisy, I don't mind being in public places--as long as I don't have to make small talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Socializing for extended periods is very exhausting to an introvert. After that we need some time to recharge. And small talk is our nemesis! LOL...

      Delete
  12. I understand being an introvert. I'm one and when I was a teen I was sure something was wrong with me. Now I know better and feel I have a meaningful personal existence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean, John! When I was a teen I felt the same way. Society has not always been kind to introverts. Things are so much better now.

      Delete
  13. I'm very much an introvert too

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know many introverts, being one myself mostly! I worked at a place for 23 years where a bunch of us sat in a 8 foot by 8 foot cubicle most of the day. We all liked it alot and when other workers in different, more social areas, asked us how we could stand it, we all agreed "in the basement" that it didn't bother us and we actually LIKED it! Ha, ha, ha! I also have to saw, like you Martha and many other people in the U.S. and Canada, we do not know much about Pakistan (in my case, I know many people there love Cacti as I do) because we learned so little in school back in the day! I love to read about such countries and want to learn more so I understand better about life there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Nancy! I once had a job where many of us, including me, worked in cubicles. I was fine with it. I had made it really cozy and added some personal touches. It gave me that privacy that I really needed.

      Delete
  15. Martha, you are an amazing person. I am enjoying learning a little more about you and your family. You answer honestly and sweetly. I truly don't think that I would have been brave enough to do what you did! But I was brazen enough to ask you a question...which you were kind enough to answer :) Thank you~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan, for this lovely comment. I never thought I'd be able to do this but I have learned that it's a lot easier than I thought and also a lot of fun!

      Delete
  16. Lovely to read the questions and answers, enjoyed all of your post.
    It's great to know your new home is coming along nicely, and I agree the Spring season is always a good chance to see and speak to neighbours ...

    Have a lovely weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once the weather gets better, our neighbours start spending more time outdoors and that's the best time to get to meet them.

      Delete
  17. sigh...I'm still waiting on my happy ever after...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved your take on happy ever after, Martha. A wise answer. Like you, I have to retreat into my own space after too much interaction. After I retired from teaching I didn't want to emerge for a couple of years, and I'm still avoiding commitments. Many people who knew me in my teaching career would never think of me as introverted, but I would put myself out there in many ways. It's tough to be a passionate idealistic introvert. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "a passionate idealistic introvert" HAHA! I love that. And I know what you mean. Society has been hard on introverts for a long time. Things are getting better now.

      Delete