Friday, May 19, 2017

This Week

Has it been a couple of weeks since I uploaded this type of post? It certainly has. I’ve been completely slacking off on blogging. Sometimes it goes that way. I haven’t been sharing much but I have been enjoying your blogs and keeping up with them as best as I can.

This week was a little quieter than usual. We actually didn’t do very much and that’s okay. The good news is that our upper level is completely finished. We now have a kitchen, dining area, bedroom, office and bathroom spotless and freshly painted. And not only is the cleaning and painting done but we’ve also changed light fixtures, door handles and hinges, kitchen cabinet knobs, blinds and curtains. The entire level has been given a complete face lift and it looks great.

Our next stop will be the large storage area that will also serve as a workspace. We’ve going to vacuum and TSP the cement floor, paint it and the surrounding walls, put up shelves and add a workbench. And as soon as we’re done with all that (who knows when), we will finally tackle the area I’m most eager to tackle: the lower level. I cannot wait to rip out the most disgustingly grungy carpets in the history of disgustingly grungy carpets, scrub everything down, add new floors and paint from top to bottom. It’s the dirtiest section of the house and I’ll breathe a huge sigh of relief when it’s finally clean. That’s the house stuff.

I didn’t get to see my two girls on Mother’s Day but figured I’d book a separate date with each of them on another day. Yesterday was one of those days. I left around 9:45 AM and drove to Ottawa where my younger daughter lives, works and studies. We spent the entire day together and it was wonderful. My daughter has grown into an amazing young woman and spending time with her is an absolute joy. I also got the chance to once again see her newly-adopted cat, Obi, who is happily settled in her new home and treated like a queen. She is friendly and energetic and very talkative. She greets everyone at the front door when they come in and then flops on the ground so they can rub her belly. She is the cutest thing in the world. I wanted to scoop her up, sneak her out and take her home with me. But...my daughter.

Anyhow, I left Ottawa around4:00 PM, which is not a good time to leave. If you’re not out of there by 3:30 at the latest, prepare to crawl through traffic, which I did. It cost me an extra half hour on the road trying to make my way home. But that’s alright. Spending time with my daughter made it worth it. I’ll be booking a date with my older daughter next. Probably the weekend after. It is sheer bliss being able to visit any time we want now that we've moved closer to everyone we love most in this world.


And that’s all I have to say for now. Wishing you all a wonderful weekend!

38 comments:

  1. You and hubby are always so hard at work on your new home but it sure sounds wonderful with what you have finished!!! The rest will all be done at some point.
    I am sure your daughters will be looking forward to a special "me" time with mom...great idea!!!
    Have a lovely weekend Martha and thank you for sharing your two lovely blogs with us~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan! I hope you had a great weekend. And a sunny day today instead of the rainy one we're stuck with!

      Delete
  2. you've accomplished so much on the house! So great you are closer to your daughters now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, wow, wow. Truly excellent to read how much you've gotten done. I feel you on the blogging. That happens to me too. Here's to kicking the ass of that bottom floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're going to kick it really hard. When we get to it. Still slacking off on our end for now. This week we'll get back on track.

      Delete
  4. Daughters don't like it when you steal their kitties. I know because I once tried.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Highways can be frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The drive in ir out of Ottawa always seems busy to me. I would hate to be there at 4 o'clock on a Friday. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traffic can be horrendous in big cities. I don't miss that at all since we left Montreal many years ago!

      Delete
  7. I also love spending time with my kids (which I never seem to do often enough). Glad you were able to spend a day with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes it that much more special when we see them!

      Delete
  8. Ha, ha, I can tell you are quite ready to rip out some carpet and clean up the downstairs! Good job getting the other parts done. Nice that you spent time with your daughter. I've never driven in Ottawa, but I suspect it is a dreadful rushhour! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is horrible! Although I've seen much, much worse in Montreal and especially Toronto. I don't envy anyone that has to deal with this on a regular basis. I'm perfectly happy in my very small city.

      Delete
  9. Must be a HUGE relief that you are getting to the end (well almost) of the big CLEAN UP!
    I laughed when you mentioned that grungy carpet!! I couldn't wait to do that myself here 25 years ago....first thing to go was THAT CARPET!!

    Nice that you had special time with one of your girls, Martha. Must have been a nice visit.
    Have a good long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like carpets to begin with, so grungy carpets really get to me! I'll be so happy when it's all gone and the area is much cleaner. I hope your weekend was good!

      Delete
  10. I think you have done brilliantly well on your house, it's coming along nicely.

    So pleased you got to see your daughter, and that you plan to see the other one soon.
    Family visits and get-togethers are so special.

    Have a great weekend

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very special, Jan! I always look forward to them. Hope you had a lovely weekend.

      Delete
  11. So wonderful that you can now spend time so much more easily with your daughters and friends!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It must feel good to have completed a majority of the work and see the results. I am glad you had a good visit with your daughter. Have a wonderful, traffic free weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels very good. But I'll feel even better when the downstairs is all done. That's the grungiest part!

      Delete
  13. I hate the 3pm-6pm drivers/traffic as well

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can tell you're happy about finishing the main floor.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your hard work is paying off. The feeling of accomplishment must be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is. There is still a lot to do but at least we've accomplished some of our goals.

      Delete
  16. Congrats on getting the upper level done!! Certainly an achievement! Seemed like a delightful day with your daughter! I bet you guys had the best of time!! Ick though on traffic. Hubby with his long commute has gotten to know lots of the side streets which actually move quicker than the freeway sometimes. I tell him he can be a cabbie :)

    Happy weekend!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA! That was funny about your hubby. I may very well take another route if I ever find myself driving home during rush hour. I bet it would move faster!

      Delete
  17. oh dear Martha i am so glad that all is progressing in very positive way and you are done with more cleaning and painting work.
    best wishes for storage area my friend.
    how nice to visit your daughter when you find free time it it really is blessing.i wish i could do the same .
    hope you will soon be able to visit your other precious daughter too.
    best of luck with al you do dear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to be able to visit my two daughters easily now. This is one of the major reasons we moved where we are now. I know you miss your son very much. It's part of being a mom.

      Delete
  18. You've done more in your house in a few weeks than we've done in a few years!

    Glad you got to see your daughter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're making up for not doing all that much in our last house until we put it up for sale!

      Delete
  19. You have done so much, good that you took time out to see your girl and enjoyed yourselves. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy spending time with her. It is the best!

      Delete