Wednesday, May 24, 2017

You Asked, I Answer (Childhood memories, High School Grades, Senior Prom and Car Accidents)

This week’s post is going to answer all the questions that one favourite blogger asked.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betty asked:

What is your earliest childhood memory?

One of my favourites is when I used to write letters to my dad on loose leaf paper when I was about three or four. I’d scribble rows and rows of squiggly lines, seemingly writing sentences like my older brother who was in school did, and hand them to my father to read. He would thank me, pretend he was reading and then tell me how great my stories were. Not once did he ever dismiss my "writing", or tell me that it was just gibberish. He was special like that. And perhaps this memory has been retained because it conveyed the love and thoughtfulness of his good heart. He was an amazing father and I miss him every day.

The first most amazing man in the world in my life.


What were your grades in high school?

I was a natural in school and up until my early high school years I whizzed through exams and my grades were very high in just about every subject without ever needing to study. This turned out to be a blessing when I started 9th grade and the rebel in me surfaced and I began to cut classes. Because even though I put in little to no effort on many courses, I still managed to sail through them. Of course, most of my grades dropped below As that I could easily have achieved, but at the time I didn’t really care. All that to say that my grades were nothing to brag about while I was dealing with teen angst. Eventually I grew out of that and my college years produced much better results.



Did you go to your senior prom?

Absolutely! I wouldn’t have missed it. If I remember correctly, it was held at the Ritz-Carlton in the downtown area of my hometown of Montreal. The hotel opened in 1912 and it was the first in North American to bear the “Ritz Carlton” name.

My prom shopping budget was very small but I did manage to find a lovely red dress to wear with pretty white pumps. I did my own (80s) hair, (raccoon) make-up and (smudged) nails, of course, and although it wasn’t the most professional job, I think I looked presentable.

It was a wonderful occasion even though I attended with my boyfriend that I’d met six months prior who would become my nemesis ex-husband many years later. Had I known...

Oh well, at least the party was very nice.



Been in any car accidents?

When I was about 27, just a few weeks after giving birth to my older daughter, I rear ended someone on my way home from the pharmacy. Thankfully the driver I hit and I were both just strolling along and it turned out to be a minor incident. I was relieved that I was alone in the car at the time because if I’d had my newborn with me the stress would have skyrocketed.

But many years earlier...

On my way home from work one evening in my first (used) car that I’d had for a relatively short period of time, a city bus driver failed to notice me when he left his stop sign and crashed into me. Thank goodness it was on the passenger’s side of my vehicle because the damage was quite extensive. The hit from the bus was so forceful that it pushed my car across the road into some parked cars, two of which retained damage. First responders arrived quickly and an ambulance technician gave me some type of medication to calm me down because I was in shock and my heartbeat was dangerously fast. I wasn’t hurt physically but the accident scarred me mentally and emotionally. For a very long time after that I was afraid of driving. It took a long time to shed that trauma. I had no light or stop sign that day and the bus driver was 100% at fault. But that made no difference with my insurance, which skyrocketed after that because of the huge claim I made. No big deal. At least I was unharmed.


Thanks for all the great questions, Betty! I’ll be back with more answers next week.

46 comments:

  1. Not fair your insurance went up. The city should've paid for everything.
    Your father sounds like he was a very special man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have had to file a lawsuit and spend a very long time chasing them. It wouldn't have been easy. But it might have been worth it.

      Delete
  2. That's a lovely thing to write about your dad. So cool that he did that. Love it, love it.

    Great picture of you. I laughed at the ten years in the cartoon.

    Glad your body wasn't hurt on either. How long after that did it take for you to feel safe driving?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You looked beautiful at your prom, so sorry to learn about that last accident Martha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your memory of your father is special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never cut classes, one of the reasons why is that you're kind of stuck at school. I did exaggerate being sick at times

    ReplyDelete
  6. You looked very cute in your prom dress! Glad no one was physically hurt in that accident -- that was a bit of good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I count my lucky stars! It could have been much worse that day.

      Delete
  7. Great questions and lovely answers Martha, thank you for taking time to share with us.

    I loved the piece about your father and thought you looked great in that red dress.
    Sorry to read about the accidents ...

    I hope the weather with you has now stopped raining, we've got sunshine at the moment and with a three day weekend coming up here in the UK I hope it will last!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Jan. I always appreciate your lovely comments. We go back and forth between rain and sun. It's been a very wet spring! Today we've got lots of sunshine for which I'm very grateful.

      Delete
  8. The memory of your dad. I have no words. Except that I am so glad your dad cherished you. What a kind and gentle soul he was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was amazing. I won the dad lottery. How I wish I'd had more time with him.

      Delete
  9. Interesting first memory. Your interest in writing has carried on throughout your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly has! I find it to be a great way to express myself.

      Delete
  10. I love you writing like that for your Dad! I did something similar, I used to try to read all the billboards and signs along the road as he was driving, since I couldn't read, I remember him pulling over on the side of the road because he was laughing so hard!
    LOVE the photo of you in the red dress! Your daughter looks so much like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a very special dad, Kay. Looks like we both won the lottery there. My dad was the first most amazing man in my life. I wish he'd lived a little longer because I miss him every day.

      Delete
  11. I'm always happy to hear about parents who cherish(ed) their children. You and I are two of the lucky ones, Martha. So many kids didn't have dads like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I thank my lucky stars every single day to have had that type of father.

      Delete
  12. Loved reading your responses! Mostly, I loved looking at your picture, all dolled up for the prom. (I noticed the burnt orange carpet and the big ol' tv in the wooden cabinet - right out of my youth!!) -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was looking at this photo when I was getting ready to upload it and had a good laugh with the television and carpet. Times have changed!

      Delete
  13. Thanks for the fun glimpses of Good Martha. =) You look like a young beauty, ready for the prom.
    And your Dad was very handsome. Sorry for that loss - your kindhearted spirit is a worthy tribute to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robyn, thank you for that! That is such a wonderful thing to say. I try to live in a way that would make my father proud.

      Delete
  14. Thanks for answering my questions, Martha :) I loved the dress you got for prom! Scary about that accident with the bus. The insurance definitely should not have raised your rates if it wasn't your fault (hope you canceled them eventually down the way). What a wonderful first memory of your dad; he did indeed sound very special!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did eventually change insurance companies but it took awhile before I got reasonable rates with such a claim. But at the end of the day, my safety was most important!

      Delete
  15. I remember wheeling my 2 years younger sister up and down our driveway with her in a stroller, so I must've been 3 or 4. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Dad sounds like a wonderfully kind person, and I'm sorry about those accidents. That trauma is not easy to shed. loved your red dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a wonderful man. I am grateful that he was my father. It was a blessing.

      Delete
  17. What a nice dad. Your red prom dress was adorable. You look so pretty.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janie! I wasn't one to wear bright and bold colours, but somehow I ended up that way for prom. Go figure!

      Delete
  18. Sounds like your Dad was an amazing man ( and handsome too). Great prom photo, I hope you were the prom queen because you deserved to be. That bus accident sounds awful, I am amazed you were ever able to get in a car after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was the best. And I wasn't the prom queen but thank you for that!
      And again, I'm so sorry about Snowball :(

      Delete
  19. Fabulous prom get-up! The letters sound so sweet. I hope BB takes inspiration and writes me letters someday :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He may very well do that! Or he'll do other things that you will remember for years to come. And so will he!

      Delete
  20. How sweet to write letter to your dear father when you were so little Martha!
    letters stood so important in my life too and i have so many beautiful memories about this love able experience no other way of communication can be prove as convenient as letters.
    you are looking glorious in red prom dress !!! beauty with grace indeed.

    your story of grads resembles with mine ,i got good grads until six class without putting any extra hard work and then when another school from old part of our town emerged in our's competition got harder but i continued my easy going attitude towards studies and could not sustain my position .

    you were so lucky that God saved you twice from harm in accidents my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am grateful for many things in my life, my father being one of the best! He was such a kind and loving man, and I couldn't have asked for better. And I am also grateful that I was not harmed in any accident. Things could have been so much worse! It's just a car; it can be replaced.

      Delete
  21. Oh Martha, that car/bus accident must have been horrible. So glad it wasn't worse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very traumatizing but at least I wasn't harmed!

      Delete
  22. I always enjoy reading the answers to your questions and learning more about you. What a wise father you had! The encouragement he gave you in validating your early writing was so important. Loved your red dress and all grown up look. I'm glad that you weren't harmed in the car accidents. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are really making strides in cleaning, painting, and freshening your new home. It's great that you now live closer to your daughters and can visit them more frequently. Obsidian has a cute nickname in Obi. Sounds like the kitty loves its new home. Have a good one!


      Delete
    2. She is such a sweet cat, Louise! She's a wonderful companion to my daughter and they will be good for each other. My father was an amazing man with a huge heart. He had such a kind and loving soul, and I am forever grateful for being fortunate enough to have him as a father!

      Delete