Thursday, May 11, 2017

You Asked, I Answer (Movies, Autobiography, IKEA and Books)

Another week, another round of answers to your questions. And away we go...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adam asked:
Do you like Quentin Tarantino movies? If so which one is your favorite?

I was sure I’d seen a lot of movies that Quentin Tarantino has directed, been a screenwriter for and acted in but it turns out I haven’t. I’ve actually only seen four: The Rock, Pulp Fiction, Sin City and Inglourious Basterds. And out of these few, The Rock is my favourite. But that’s not surprising since I’m a fan of Sean Connery. I just love the way he says Welcome to the rockin this film.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toni asked:
If you wrote your autobiography, what title would you give it?

This is such an interesting question and one that I’ve thought about many times over the years. Because my life has been a mixture of experiences, it’s hard to think of a title that is perfectly fitting. But if I had to decide right now at this very moment, I’d probably use the name of my blog “Plowing Through Life” because that is pretty much what I do year after year. Plow through life. One day at a time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pilch92 15andmeowing asked:
What did you get at IKEA?

It is rare that we ever come home with bulky or expensive items when my husband and I visit IKEA. Most visits we just stroll through the store for ideas and I may or may not pick up a small item or two like some candles or a glass jar or a pillow, and so on. On our most recent visit, in addition to a couple of inexpensive purchases, I brought home this:

For my cats.

It was inspired by this story. The idea is absolutely adorable and I wanted in.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

e asked (and Toni would also like to know):
What book in your life has had the most profound effect on you and why?

Being an obsessive avid reader and having read hundreds (probably thousands) of books since I could barely put a sentence together, this is extremely difficult to answer. Nevertheless, there are three books that immediately sprung to mind when I read your question, all of which were introduced to me during my teen years by teachers. (Yes, I was one of those kids that were thrilled when books were handed out in the classroom.)

1) To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

This timeless classic deeply moved me with its dramatic, compassionate and wisdom-filled story line about potent prejudice in a sleepy southern town. Set in the mid 1930s in the midst of the Great Depression and narrated by six year old ‘Scout’ (Jean-Louise Finch), the book takes you through various events in the town of Maycomb, but particularly through the trial of a black man unjustly accused of raping a white woman. His defense lawyer is none other than Scout’s father, Atticus Finch, a man who courageously stands up to injustice. To Kill a Mockingbird is gripping and heart wrenching and absolutely remarkable.

2) The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

Surprisingly, this coming-of-age novel was written and published when the author was in high school. Perhaps being a teen at the time and the fact that the story was inspired by two rival gangs at her school is why it’s so well done and why it remains one of the best-selling young-adult novels of all time. Despite its success, it was very controversial at the time of its publication for its frank portrayal of smoking, underage drinking, portrayal of gang violence, strong language and delinquency. It was often challenged and even banned, but thankfully not in my school. It remains one of my top young adult fiction books and I even have the copy that my English teacher handed out in the classroom way back when.

3) Lord of the Flies by William Golding

When an airplane crashes on an uninhabited island, the sole survivors are a group of schoolboys who attempt to govern themselves. Without fixed boundaries, standards of behaviour and supervision, the orderly world that they once knew collapses and is replaced by a more primitive and barbaric one. This riveting novel explores the dark side of humanity and the savagery that lies beneath the most civilized of us.


And there you have three books that were introduced to me as an adolescent and continue to rank as favourites because they stirred many emotions, made me think about very important social issues and had me questioning them, as well.

Here are a few other books that I loved back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth:

‘Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret’ by Judy Blume
‘Harriet the Spy’ by Louise Fitzhugh
‘The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn’ by Mark Twain
‘Charlotte's Web’ by E. B. White
‘Black Beauty’ by Anna Sewell
‘Anne of Green Gables’ by L.M. Montgomery

Since then, there are many more that have been devoured. Give or take a few hundred.


That ends this week’s answers to your questions. Come back again next week for more.

46 comments:

  1. I like that "cat bed". So cute! I didn't realize Quentin Tarentino directed The Rock. I liked that movie. To Kill a Mockingbird is a classic for me too. I read it at least a dozen times between my 8th and 9th grade summer. It never got old. Sadly neither one of my kids liked it as much as I did when they had to read it in their high school years for English.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have different tastes in books. And there are a lot of more recent books that my own kids introduced me to that are really good. We learn from each other!

      Delete
  2. There was an interesting documentary about "The Outsiders" on CBC radio about a month ago, marking its 50th anniversary of publication or something. I must confess that I never heard of it but now it's on my "to read" list! Apparently a movie version was made too in the early 1980s, I believe. Never saw that either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of that documentary. I should look it up! I think you'll find the story quite interesting. I've also seen the movie many years ago. Matt Dillon, Patrick Swayze, Rob Lowe, Emilio Estevez and Tom Cruise are some of the actors in it; all so young and mostly unknowns at the time.

      Delete
  3. Love the movie The Rock because I adore Nicolas Cage and handsome Sean Connery!!!
    That cat bed is just to precious!!!
    To Kill a Mockingbird...fantastic read and I have read it many times!
    Another great post from a terrific lady! Take a bow Martha :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do enjoy reading these posts, Martha. I remember reading The Outsiders and To Kill a Mockingbird when I was young. To Kill a Mockingbird was one we studied in school, and I loved the movie, too. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen the movies for both of these books and really enjoyed them. It hasn't been that long since I saw To Kill a Mockingbird but it's been forever since I saw The Outsiders. I should watch it again at some point.

      Delete
  5. Your list of favourite books is very similar to mine.
    Do your cats use the bed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet. But it's not really their fault. Because we're constantly shifting things around as we clean and paint, I haven't found the perfect spot for it. Like near a window. Hopefully when I put it down in a good spot, they'll use it.

      Delete
  6. I haven't seen any Tarantino movies! And they don't look like my kind of thing at all. But I love every book you mentioned. We studied "The Ousiders" too, or maybe my brother's school did, I always read his books but he didn't!

    The book that probably had the most impact on me was "Lord Foul's Bane" by Stephen Donaldson. I was in Yr 7 (12 yrs old I guess) at school and was still reading exclusively from the children's section, the only grown-up books I had ever noticed were the boring ones my mum read. And we had an award-winning children's bookstore nearby, so there were plenty to choose from. In English class we had to do a book review and read it to the class, I did "The Borribles" which is fun and childish. One of the other girls (I think Rosemary, who went on to be our School Captain years later) talked to us about "Lord Foul's Bane". It is fantasy (I already loved Narnia etc) but with some very dark themes like leprosy and rape and self-hate but ultimately redemption and sacrifice. Definitely for adult-ish minds. She made it sound really good so I bought it. And was totally hooked. Still one of my top three authors ever, but more importantly it introduced me to a whole world of grown-up fiction (calling it adult fiction sounds a bit dodgy).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fun to discover new authors. I haven't heard of this one. I'll have to look him up. Not many kids read the books they were assigned in school but I was certainly one of them. Other kids would groan but I was always so excited when I'd show up in English class and there'd be stacks of books waiting to be handed out!

      Delete
  7. I didn't even know he did wrote for The Rock, though Michael Bay did direct. I haven't seen it yet, but it's one of Bays' critically approved movies.

    You should try Reservoir Dogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that he didn't get the proper credit for this film. Not sure what the whole story is behind that. I'd have to look it up.

      I may or may not have seen Reservoir Dogs. I can't quite remember. But I'd give it a go.

      Delete
    2. apparently there was a long list of writers. And sometimes they go uncredited to avoid breaking union rules. Bruce Willis appeared unpaid as a favor to him in a movie called Four Rooms and had to the do the same thing.

      Delete
    3. Oh, I didn't know that! That's quite interesting.

      Delete
  8. Avid readers, unite!! And I have always liked your blog name. It speaks to me of tenacity, courage, and a steady nature.

    The link under the cat bed doesn't go anywhere ... and I'm dying to know the back story!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know about the link. I fixed it! And it shows who is actually clicking to go to it :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you! These are adorable beds. Is there room for both of your cats to curl up together? Or did you get them each one?!

      Delete
    3. I only got one to try it out. There are many places around the house for them to snooze, so this is just an extra spot.

      Delete
  9. Great choice of The Rock- I love Nic Cage. Thank you for answering my IKEA question. That bed is adorable, I tried to click on the link to the story, but it said error. Great book choices, I love bookstores too, but sadly there aren't very many left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true! Many people are choosing digital forms of reading now.

      Delete
  10. I always like to see other people's reading lists. I like to see if I've read books they have read,. And I like to get suggestions for books to read. I read To Kill a Mockingbird just a couple of years ago. It was a fascinating story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same thing! And I like when suggestions are made by fellow bloggers. It's a way of discovering new authors and some really good books to read.

      Delete
  11. I remember that movie.

    Love your blog name, it would be the best title ever.

    Love the cat bed. How cute.

    I enjoyed Mockingbird a great deal and when we were kids, it was Blume everything. Great text comic there as well. Love it.

    Happy Almost Weekend & Boogie Boogie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy weekend! I hope you're having a good one :) I LOVED July Blume books when I was a kid. The best.

      Delete
    2. Had a great one but then, it's the weekend. Hard to fudge those up.

      Delete
  12. Your answer to my question was most enlightening. Thanks and have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for participating. I hope you're having a nice weekend!

      Delete
  13. I thought I'd seen every Quentin Tarantino movie, but I've never heard of The Rock.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are much further ahead of me. I've barely seen any of his movies!

      Delete
  14. That cat bed is cute!

    Thanks once again for taking time to reply to our questions ...
    As I type this out it's Friday night and I happen to have a low carb moussaka cooking and I'm just going to enjoy a glass of wine too!

    So cheers and my good wishes, enjoy your weekend!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a great meal, Jan! Moussaka is so delicious!

      Delete
  15. To Kill A Mocking Bird is also one of my favorites. From the time I was about 8 I would read Black Beauty and Little Women once a year.

    Huck Finn was a great one, too. It was a lot like my childhood; running loose in the gullies, creeks and orchards!

    Love all you answers. Must be why I like you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. 'The Outsiders'!! I loved that novel as did the kids/students I read it to every year back in the day. It is a classic indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a classic. And there is a lot to learn from it.

      Delete
  17. I love your blog name since beginning ,it has intensity of life in it and suitable for the autobiography .
    this cat bed is adorable ,i appreciate the way you shop ,i am also one of them who don't fall on thing blindly .
    your reading made me envy of you my friend,this is the job i could do only little when i was student and less involve in house chores ,after marriage i am still waiting for the day when i will find spare time to peek into my favorite world as Bacon's words poke me to read most of the time .

    Lords of flies sounds one i would strive to reAD,
    I SAW THE dramatic version of the Anne of the green gables on t.v when i was young loved it so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do find time to read freely at some point. There are so many wonderful stories out there to enjoy. I wish I could read faster just to finish all the books I want to!

      Delete
  18. i have only saw Desperado from his movies ,though Sean and Nicholas are wonderful ,specially i saw city of angles many times ,i love Meg Ryan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that movie with Nicholas Cage and Meg Ryan. It was good!

      Delete
  19. Haha! Loved that quote at the end! I'm quite well-read when it comes to children's books, especially picture books, but I am not so much with YA fiction. I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't read any of your top three favorites!! I got a little excited when I read "S. E. Hinton" because I though I had read an adult novel by that author. Oops it was a book by William H. Hinton, not S. E. ~ a fascinating slog called "Fanshen: A Documentary of Revolution in a Chinese Village." I'm guessing that "The Outsiders" would be easier. "The Rock" was my favorite QT movie too.

    At least I've read and loved all of the other books you shared, so there is hope! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The outsiders is a quick read, so if you decided to look into it, it won't take you long to finish. It is a very interesting story with good food for thought.

      Delete