Saturday, June 17, 2017

This Week

Another week over and here’s some random stuff for you...

I’ve started downloading some garden plans. Our property has zero landscaping. Actually, that’s a lie. It has a little bit of landscaping that will be completely overhauled. There are two flower beds with very little in them and the little that is in them (some bushes and a few dull plants) will be removed. And we’ll add some curves to the planting areas to make them more visually appealing. And we'll plant trees. There isn’t a single tree on this property. We have a good-sized corner lot and I can easily see 2 – 3 beautiful trees on it. There is a lot of work to be done outside but that won’t happen until next spring. I’ve got lots of time until then to plan a nice garden.



Tomorrow is father’s day, which hasn’t meant the same since my dad died in 2007. I’ve been thinking a lot about him lately. He’s missed so many things in the past 10 years, particularly the changes, accomplishments and day-to-day goings-on of his two granddaughters, both of whom he’d be so proud of. He was an amazing man who left behind a legacy of love and kindness, and as the years go by, I appreciate more and more how fortunate I was to have had him as a father. I really hit the jackpot there.

One word that always comes to mind when I think about him is ‘tireless’. It sounds like an odd word to think of but if you knew my father like everyone who loved him did it would make sense. He was...well...tireless with the ones he loved. No matter how busy he was, no matter how far he’d have to go, no matter what was going on, no matter what was needed...he’d drop everything and be there for you. When I was hospitalized with postpartum depression (a story for another time), my father came to visit every single day. Rain or shine. Much to my surprise, he even came one day when there was a snowstorm. When my mother told him it wasn’t necessary to go in that weather and that I would understand, he said “I’m going. I don’t want our girl to feel alone.” I tear up whenever I remember moments like that. The world lost one of the good ones when he died. I’ll never stop missing him.



Yesterday was a busy day for us. I painted the downstairs bathroom and the most amazing man in the world ripped out some of the most disgusting carpet in the history of disgusting carpets. I only have the doors and the trim left to paint, which I’ll do on Monday, and then I’ll be helping out with the carpet removal, which will take some time. We’re moving slowly with these jobs because we’re not spring chickens anymore and neither one of us is in the mood for injuries.



Speaking of getting older, I ran across a great song while visiting one of my favourite blogs that I'd like to share with you. It’s called ‘When We Were Young’ by Passenger (stage name), an English singer-songwriter and musician. Oh boy does it stir emotions in me and bring up a whole bunch of memories. Reminds me once again that we should do what we want to do right now because the clock keeps ticking. Anyway, have a listen.



And that's all for this week. Happy weekend!

40 comments:

  1. Having no trees might be an advantage in planning a garden. At least you will have full sun. We are tree shaded and gardening is always frustrating. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're going to plant small trees, so they don't create too much shade. Just something to give the landscape a little more character and visual interest.

      Delete
  2. You are so lucky to have had such an amazing father!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soon you will make your garden your own, it will be beautiful I can tell! My dad passed in 1993.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be fun to build one from scratch and make it completely our own.
      So sorry about your dad :( He must've been quite young.

      Delete
  4. A great post and well worth reading. I just hope my son is as proud. Never think that you have nothing to say. It usually ends up as something very special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Father's Day is always rough for me, as well, because I lost my dad in 2006. He was this really funny guy, so I can relate. Kudos to you for being such a great gardener! I suck at it, but keep trying to plant things every year despite a purple thumb. Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No matter how long ago, we always miss them. Thanks for stopping by, RO!

      Delete
  6. You've brought tears to my eyes. Tireless is a good word. I can say the same about my dad--once upon a time when he was with us.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once upon a time, Janie... Sometimes it feels like a dream. I close my eyes and remember all those childhood moments with him. And POOF...all that time has come and gone.

      Delete
  7. Awesome tribute to your Dad. You were most fortunate to have this guy as your dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was extremely fortunate. And very thankful for him!

      Delete
  8. Martha, how very fortunate you were to have such a warm, thoughtful father! Not all can claim that. Renovations and gardening - both are activities that you are quite aware you did the next day! Take it easy. :) -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Jenn! Just ask my body how it feels after all this reno work. LOL

      Delete
  9. That's certainly all I'm growing this year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sorry your Dad is no longer with you, it does sound like he was an amazing man. I lost my Dad in 2001 and miss him every day, I was blessed with a good one too. Sounds like you got a lot done in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good dads are such a great blessing. I'm so glad you had one, too!

      Delete
  11. I'm sorry your Dad is gone, but it sounds like he was a wonderful man and left you with many good memories. You were lucky to have such a great dad!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Smiles and hugs and a little mist in my eyes :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your dad sounded like such a wonderful man. Thank you for sharing him with us and some of the memories you have of him. I agree, once we use our parents, Father's Day/Mother's Day just isn't the same.

    Sounds like you continue to be busy at your slow and steady pace on your home improvement projects!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was wonderful, Betty. When these holidays roll in, I miss him.

      Slow and steady is going to be our pace from now on. I learned my lesson from when I injured myself. I don't want to go through that again.

      Delete
  14. Hi Martha.
    Your father set quite the example to his family. Tireless.....this must have felt so good that you could always depend on him. He lives on.
    Those carpet woes sound SO familiar! When we took up the one in our living room within the first month or so of living here (oh, did I mention it was a rose-coloured SHAG!), we found a beautiful hardwood floor underneath!
    Your garden will be beautiful. Since you are both retired now there will lots of time and lots of enjoyment doing it. I only wish you were around when we were planting everything like two maniacs 25 years ago! But, I do like our 'shade garden' now.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That feeling of knowing you can depend on someone at all times is absolutely amazing. He was always there for me.

      The rose-coloured shag! LOL... Those of us who are a little older have lived with that. And it's hard to believe that many people covered up beautiful hardwood floors with those carpets!

      Delete
  15. Great song! And it will be a wonderful winter project to plan your yard and garden for next year! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plenty of cold months to work on that project. I'm actually looking forward to it!

      Delete
  16. I wish I never had to deal with the outside plants at all. Wish my whole yard was just astroturf. Southern lawns are cruel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine it's quite a challenge when it gets really hot!

      Delete
  17. Isn't it exciting planning a garden, have fun and enjoy it.
    I loved reading about your Father, our memories of loved ones are always so special.

    Yes, that Passenger song is just lovely.

    Enjoy what is left of your weekend, and my good wishes for the coming new week.
    Take Care

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I ran across it on your blog, Jan! It's such a great song.

      Delete
  18. Have a great week-end Martha! Your Dad sounds like he was pretty special. Good Dad's are tireless when it comes to their kids aren't they? And thanks for the music and smiles too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure are tireless, Francie! I'm glad mine was part of that group :)

      Delete
  19. Your dad sounds like quite a guy - my husband is that way - he will go out of his way for his kids. sometimes too out of his way..but that's him. fun getting to plant new landscape - i would enjoy that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A blank slate for gardening is a lot of work but also a lot of fun! I look forward to designing it.

      Delete
  20. Your father was an angle like person my friend as humans are hardly as selfless as he was.it is great to know man like him through your loving memories!!!

    Finley you came to the most important part of the house as I consider gardens lunges of an house through which it breath.
    I am glad that you are going to plant trees in your yard Martha, it will be so pleasant and revolutionary for the whole look and feeling

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your father was an angle like person my friend as humans are hardly as selfless as he was.it is great to know man like him through your loving memories!!!

    Finley you came to the most important part of the house as I consider gardens lunges of an house through which it breath.
    I am glad that you are going to plant trees in your yard Martha, it will be so pleasant and revolutionary for the whole look and feeling

    ReplyDelete