Friday, June 30, 2017

This Week

Didn’t I recently mention rain? Well I’m writing about it again. Because. It’s. Still. Here. And it looks like it’s going to stick around for the next few days. That totally sucks because it’s Canada Day weekend; a very special one, too, that we’re all excited about. Tomorrow Canada is turning 150, which may sound like a lot but it isn’t. This country is still very young. But it’s still an exciting milestone and I’m here to witness it. And so is my mother and so are my two adult daughters. Three generations of women. Anyhow, there are celebrations going on across the country and there is one in our own small city that I was hoping we’d drop in on. Unless it’s raining. That is what the forecast is calling for tomorrow. And not just a little bit of rain but strong thunderstorms. Sigh. We’ll see what happens. (It's pouring rain as I write all this.)


We spent the day in Kingston on Monday. It was such a treat to be back there. We went there because we had scheduled a physical with our doctor because we couldn’t find a local one. Numerous phone calls were met with “we are not accepting new patients”. So Kingston it was. At one point the most amazing man in the world and I decided to drive around town in our new city and drop in on some clinics; we did this for a couple of days. Most places told us they weren’t taking on any new patients but at least two put us on waiting lists. Then four days later one of the places that we'd added our names to a waiting list called back to tell us they were going to take us. It was one of the two places I wanted for us to get into. YAY! Sometimes it pays to present yourself in person. But the family doctor is on maternity leave and won’t be returning until September, so we decided to keep our appointment in Kingston. That worked out great because not only did we get a chance to play tourist in our beloved old city but we also went for dinner at a favourite place to celebrate our wedding anniversary, which was on that day, too. Bonus: we had homemade ice cream for dessert at the best dessert place in town. Chocolate chip for me!

A wellness day, a road trip, dinner, ice cream and an anniversary celebration. Win-win-win-win-win.


Yesterday...
The most amazing man in the world: “It really doesn’t feel like Friday today.”
Me: “It’s Thursday.”
The most amazing man in the world: “Well that would explain it.”
And I laughed and laughed and laughed.

These are the types of problems you have when you’re retired. You don’t know what day of the week it is.
(The most amazing man in the world decided to take his company pension and retire in August 2016. He is loving every minute of it.)
I’ve got more to say but I’m going to stop right here. Because I’m busy painting today and I shouldn’t be spending too much time blah, blah, blabbing on the computer. So off I go being all responsible and grown up and stuff like that.

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend! And to my fellow Canadians – happy 150th! We rock.

38 comments:

  1. You do rock! Happy holiday weekend to you! Most here will have the 4th off, but I have to work, doggone it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is terrible, Kay! But I hope you find time to have fun.

      Delete
  2. Send the rain our way! Happy Canada Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Canada Day, you two! I hope the rain lets up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the rain continues! Aw well... Happy Canada Day, Debra!

      Delete
  4. Happy anniversary and Happy Canada Day! It's rained so much here in Florida that I told Favorite Young Man to get busy on the ark and to include satellite TV and WiFi.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHAHA! Yes, mustn't forget our modern comforts :)

      Delete
  5. Happy Canada Day Martha!! :) It's supposed to pour here too, but in our area, the Quebecers won't celebrate (or acknowledge) Canada Day. Oh well, I have plans of my own. :) That's so funny...Alex and I are the same. He asked me if the garbage goes out tonight, I said "no today is Friday" and he waited...oh yeah, Monday is garbage day. He works from home and I don't work anymore, so we're kind of flaky that way too lol...which is really nice if you think about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand about Quebec. It is my hometown, after all. I spent the first 44 years of my life there! July 1st is considered moving day :)

      HAHAHA! Love that you call yourselves flaky. Flaky is good. And fun :)

      Delete
    2. OMG...moving day is right...thank goodness those days are over!!! :)

      Delete
    3. I hear ya! We moved here in February and it was exhausting. It will be our last time!

      Delete
  6. I hope the rain holds off so you can enjoy the celebrations. Happy Canada Day! And Happy Belated Anniversary! I am glad you got the doctor you wanted, it sounds like there is a shortage in your area. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seems to be a shortage. Thankfully we found one!

      Delete
  7. Happy anniversary. You show such joy and enthusiasm about your anniversaries. Keep on Having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Canada Day to you and your family, Martha! Yes, it would be nice to have a break in the weather so everyone can be outside enjoying all the great things happening in so many places. Happy anniversary, as well. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a unique celebration and it's terrible that we have this rain. I woke up this morning hoping the weather would be spectacular and...no...more rain :( What can you do? Happy Canada Day, Jenn!

      Delete
  9. Happy Anniversary Martha! And Happy Canada Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine! I hope you have a fun weekend.

      Delete
  10. Happy Anniversary! And I hope the rain magically clears away so you can get out to celebrate Canada Day. We stay FAR away from the crowds now but as a kid we always went to the local parade and fairground. I was in love with the carousel horses. I know that's not what Canada Day is all about but that's what MY Canada Day was all about :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy annual versary. I was like your husband on Wednesday, thought it was Friday. I just say that when you are retired one day runs your into another and I rarely check the calendar, rely on my phone reminders to tell me when appointments are. Enjoy the weekend, regardless of the rain we are getting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No complaints in his end. He's loving every minute of his retirement...mixing days up and all. Happy Canada Day!

      Delete
  12. We giggled when you mentioned confusing the days of the week! Fridays are the days that confuse us regularly!! lol
    Good that you found a doctor in your new city. It is difficult here as well. I hope ours doesn't retire any time soon!
    Happy Canada Day to you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Canada Day, Jim! I hope you had a good one.

      Delete
  13. I don't think I've choc chip ice cream in quite some time

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry to hear that it is still raining where you are. What a bummer. It sounds like you had a lovely anniversary ~ Congratulations! I get mixed up on the days of the week all the time, and with all our traveling, the month, the season, the time zone. LOL I'm glad that you found a doctor's office! We have similar problems here in the USA. My friend Cheri, who recently moved back from Arizona with her husband Gary, hasn't found a doctor yet. That ice cream sounds fabulous. I could go for some right now. Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need more doctors! The country keeps growing and we have an aging population. We were so lucky to find a local doctor this quickly.

      It turned out to be a rainy day, after all. Can't control Mother Nature!

      Delete
  15. Happy soggy Canada Day (but it has cleared up today in Niagara)!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It cleared up pretty late in the day but that's alright. Mother Nature has a mind of her own!

      Delete
  16. sorry that it is raining on your national day but still you got perfect celebration with you hubby and trip to your favorite city where you had homemade ice cream [never had such].

    Happy anniversary my friend ,may you see many more ,amen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It was a lot of fun visiting our old city that we really loved!

      Delete