Thursday, June 29, 2017

You Asked, I Answer (First Photos, My Other Blog, Minimalism)

This year it's taken a very long time to answer the questions my blogging pals asked a long time ago. But I'm almost done; next week should be the end of it. Here's this week's contribution.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fundy Blue (Louise) asked:
What is the first photo you remember taking?

I honestly don’t know the answer to this. I’ve taken thousands upon thousands of pictures in my life and it’s next to impossible to remember which one was the first. When we were kids, photography was expensive and having a camera in our working class family was a huge luxury, therefore it was handled with care. And by very few people. I was allowed on just a few occasions to take photographs with the family camera but my photo taking frenzy didn’t seriously begin until my brother gifted me my own camera when I was in my early teens. And the journey began. Oh the joy of owning my own camera!


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bethany asked three questions:

1) How did Miniaturopolis start?

As some of my blogging pals know, I have another blog named Miniaturopolis where I post images of miniature (toy) people living in the big world, the experiences they have and the challenges they face. I introduced the blog last year in this post.

So how did it start? I love photography and most of the time I’m all over the map with the types of pictures I take. And that’s fine. But I really wanted to focus on one theme that could be easily carried out throughout all four seasons, motivate me to practice photography on a regular basis and - most important of all – be extremely enjoyable.

Then one day I ran across a website with the type of photography I now do for Miniaturopolis and I fell instantly in love with it! It fit so perfectly with someone like me who keeps the inner child alive and who has a very active imagination. The rest, as they say, is history.

Miniaturopolis is my playground where I set my imagination free. Here are a few photos from there:

THE PAINT ROLLER
Make sure surfaces are free of dirt, dust, debris and little people before using it.

HUMAN CANNONBALL
A most dangerous profession.

2) How do you come up with the ideas for the Miniaturopolis scenes?

When I first took a sincere interest in that style of photography, that part of my imagination was just getting started and thinking of what to photograph took a lot of effort. But let me tell you, it didn’t take long before there was an explosion of ideas. All I had to do was ask myself “What would it be like if I was that small and I lived in a world where everything around me was that big? What would I do? What would I see? What would happen?” And my imagination just went wild. Broccoli suddenly became a tree; a CD became a skating rink or pond; a pile of books invited mountain climbing. But not everything is always happy in this little city because it can be dangerous being so tiny in such a big world.

THE FLY SWATTER
Be careful with it. There are little people out there.

STRUCK BY AN OCTOPUS
That's got to hurt.

Now I get so many ideas so rapidly that I have to mark them down in a notebook! I am really enjoying myself and I intend to keep this photography going for a long time to come. I share my images on different social media but my biggest success is on Instagram where I have over 1,000 followers. Come join me here if you have an account.


3) Why are you a minimalist?

I don’t give too much meaning to material possessions and I’ve always strived to live a very simple life with as few belongings as possible. I have always been this way and I suspect I always will be. Clutter looks messy to me and it doesn’t seem to serve any valuable purpose; it just collects dust. I’m very intentional about what I want to keep and every year I donate many items to keep our home from becoming overloaded with crap stuff that we don’t need, don’t use and don’t really like. As a minimalist, I prefer more things going out of the house than coming in. Also, when the home is clutter free, it’s easier and faster to clean. Less cleaning means more free time for the things I truly enjoy. Like taking photos for Miniaturopolis!

And as I get older, minimalism becomes even more important because should something happen to the most amazing man in the world and me, I’d like family responsible for disposing of our worldly possessions to have as easy a time at it as possible. I don’t want anyone burdened with the chore of emptying a house that is overflowing with so many things that you don’t know where to start.


That’s it for this round. Next time I’ll answer Christine’s questions; the last ones for this year’s inquiries. Have a good one!

32 comments:

  1. Interesting answers. I especially enjoyed reading about how Miniaturopolis began!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an interesting start. And I love that type of photography even more so than when I began!

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed seeing your Miniaturopolis blog. Most creative and interesting. Keep up the good work. First photo? Mine had to be when I was about 5 or 6 and used a Kodak Brownie camera to shoot pictures of family members. I really got into it when I was given a darkroom set. It was primitive, but I could make small contact prints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is fun! I always wanted to do some work in a darkroom.

      Delete
  3. I am honoured my question's the last one! (I think). So interesting about Miniaturopolis, it sounds like a true passion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating inside info on Miniaturopolis! And I love, love, LOVE that definition of minimalism -- it is EXACTLY RIGHT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm following your other blog now. The photos are brilliant.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been a minimalist off and on for years. I go through stages of scouring the flea markets and "having" to get such and such because IT'S SUCH A DEAL!!! Then eventually realizing, it IS a dust collector lol...I have to check out your other blog Martha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a world with so many things to tempt us, it's hard to be a minimalist!

      Delete
  7. I loved this post! Your Miniaturopolis photos are so fun. Just followed you on Instagram! I recently started an account so I don't have much there yet. Still learning my way around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you joined, Tina. I look forward to the photos you share.

      Delete
  8. I didn't know you had another blog. I will have to go over and have look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness-those Miniaturopolis is awesome! Did I miss it-did you say where you find all those wittle people!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are miniature figures typically used for model railroading and dioramas. I shop online for them and have accumulated quite a community!

      Delete
  10. I'm with you about the minimalism part. I don't want those left behind to have to clear away things. After the fiasco with hubby's parents and disposing of their stuff, I knew that was something I didn't want to leave to my kids, though I had started becoming minimalistic way before then. Its such a simpler way to live! I love your Miniaturopolis blogt! So cute!!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very simple way to live. I can't imagine any other way. I find that the less I have, the happier I am.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for answering my question, Martha! I understand completely what you said about a camera being a luxury for your family and how you had to handle it with care. It was the same with my family and our camera. My father gave me his Brownie Hawkeye when I entered high school. I had gone wild with it in Grade 8 in Wolfville, once I was able to earn money to pay for black and white film and its development. Ron (from Sophie's View) was one of my "subjects" in Wolfville! LOL I took my first picture which was of chickens at my Great Uncle Chester's farm in Prince Edward Island. I was about five years old. It's somewhere among the thousands and thousands of photos I've taken. It is a joy to have your own camera!

    It was fun to hear about the inspiration behind your little people and to see some of my favorite of your Miniaturopolis shots again.

    I'm working at minimalism, but I've got a long way to go! I don't want to burden anyone with disposing of my earthly belongings!

    Have a good one, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Minimalism is not an easy thing to do. We tend to accumulate many things over the years and become emotionally attached to them. It's a regular exercise for me but one that I find worth it.

      Delete
  12. I told my wife the other day that I don't like to have movies or books in a physical form unless it's renting. They just pile up and pile up and add to the clutter. I'm glad for the digital age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The digital age is going to make minimalists out of a lot of people! LOL

      Delete
  13. The miniaturopolis idea was a genius one. They are great pictures and just show how much imagination you have..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your other blog, too! and I am with you on the minimalism completely. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am blown away by your imagination, Martha, in Miniaturopolis ....not to mention your photographic skills.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice to learn more about you. Your photos are amazing! I need to start checking out your other blog. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete