Saturday, September 2, 2017

This Week

Happy September, everyone! I can’t believe the fall season is almost here. We’ve been so busy this year with our move and all our house stuff that 2017 has just been zipping right by without us even noticing.

Speaking of house stuff, we are finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel! 75% of our lower level is finished. Washed, stripped of carpeting, painted, new flooring installed. The 25% that still needs work is a small bedroom that we will begin to tackle on Monday. We needed it to store furniture and unopened boxes while we worked on the rest of the area. Now it’s empty and we’re ready to go. Once that’s done, we’ll move our cleaning buckets, painting trays, paint brushes and rollers to the living room at the front of the house; the last space to be renovated. Well, there is a tiny laundry room downstairs that needs to be refreshed but we’ll leave that till we no longer need to use the utility sink in it to wash stuff. No use making it all pretty and then messing it up while we do work around the house. But we’re almost there! *doing the happy dance*



I am continuing to practice and learn about drawing every day. Since last week when I mentioned this new hobby, I finished my first sketchbook and started a new one. I’ve subscribed to a whole bunch of YouTube art channels and each day I choose some artist’s step-by-step lesson and follow along. It’ll take time before I venture off on my own but in the meantime I’m having a blast. Here is one page that I filled up yesterday morning.



And speaking of art, I treated myself to a pack of sharpie markers earlier this week (image below). Look at all the pretty colours! 30 beautiful markers. I can’t believe how ridiculously happy this simple purchase makes me. I still haven’t opened the box. I’m not ready to take apart this magical display.



As I write this, I’ve got my tabby cat sitting on my lap and purring away. Every morning after I feed her, she does this; her way of thanking me for taking caring of her. And she’s polite about it, too. She doesn’t just jump on my lap, she waits to be invited. She stands next to me and stares up with adoring eyes as if I’m some goddess and waits until I look down and say the magic words “come on”. There is a look of joy on her face when I say this and then she jumps on my lap, gets comfortable and snuggles up against me. She’s very sweet. And she has good manners.



It’s been awhile since I shared a music video, so I’ll end this post with one today. This song is called ‘Bloom’ from The Paper Kites, an indie rock-folk band from Melbourne, Australia. Take a moment and listen to it. It’s very beautiful.

Enjoy and have a wonderful weekend!


40 comments:

  1. How fantastic to almost be done!! Lots of hard work paying off! Your art is really going great! Always good to get the supplies you want/need too :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for it all to be over, Betty. It's been a tiring job!

      Delete
  2. My mother's cat Danny isn't much of a lap cat or lets you pick him up for more than few seconds. But every-time I come over, I see his mouth open as he starts to meow. If I go to the bathroom, all I hear is loud meows on the other side of the door

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be a chosen one! :) Sounds like he likes you.

      Delete
  3. you are doing great! I still have a very expensive set of top-of-the-line colored pencils I bought in the spring before I realized I hate adult coloring book coloring. LOL Maybe you'll inspire me...I both of my maternal aunts sold art professionally; mom (their baby sister) never did but she's equally talented as a drawer. So I know I have the genes for it, buried deep somewhere....my 'art' seemed more leaning towards photography than drawing though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Photography is my first love but I am having a blast with this drawing stuff. It's always been on my list of things to learn and I'm so glad I finally got into it!

      Delete
  4. Wow - you are doing well. I look forward to following your progress!

    The dog vs cat cartoon made me smile - it really is like that (for me anyway). I have a snuggler, too. It's a nice feeling to make her happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This cat was slightly feral when we got her. Took a lot of time and effort to get her to feel safe and trust me like this. I consider it a huge compliment that she adores me this much!

      Delete
  5. Great progress! I bet it feels real good to visit all your "new" rooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! I can't wait till the whole house is done.

      Delete
  6. Great progress on the house and your art is coming along so beautifully! You should join the art challenges, no experience required.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm considering joining, Christine, but probably some time in the future when we're done with our house stuff. That way I don't feel any pressure to meet deadlines.

      Delete
  7. Reminds me of my first large box of Crayola crayons back in the day!
    How great is it that you are teaching yourself how to draw, Martha!!
    And your work looks great, I must add!
    House almost done! I know....owning a house work is never done but I understand how good it must feel to be near the end!
    Good on your guys!!
    A relaxing tune....thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wanted to learn how to draw, I just never took the time to focus on time. Well, you know what they say: There's no time like the present! And away I go :)

      Delete
  8. Hi human, Martha,

    Your move and all your house type stuff is sure coming along nicely. Always good to see progress.

    Well done with your art because your art's in the right place.

    That cartoon just about sums up dogs and cats!

    Sweet music by that Australian band. Very nice, indeed.

    Pawsitive wishes,

    Penny 🐶

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Penny! Hiya, girl. Nice to see you here. How is your human doing? I hope he is well. Say hello to him for me :)

      Delete
  9. Good luck on your drawing endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You stuck to a very long hard job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kudos to you and George for making great progress on your new home. What a lot of work you have done! I'm enjoying your drawing journey, Martha. I feel a thrill just looking at those beautiful markers. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are almost there, Louise. It's been a lot of work but the transformation around here has been worth all that effort. I can't wait till all our indoor stuff is over and done with! Next year we will tackle the outdoors!

      Delete
  12. "I have been chosen" -- yes, that's exactly right!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the progress. Your drawings are darling! I used to sit and sketch before I took up crocheting. I even took a pencil drawing class. Loved it! Your making me want to draw again!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wanted to learn to draw and now that I've started, I wonder what took me so long! It's so much fun.

      Delete
  14. Can you believe it's September!!! Yikes!
    Yes, you have been so busy, especially your move. Fantastic that you're almost there. All of your hard work is paying off now. Yippee!
    Love how your art is going.

    Hope your weekend has been good, is it a three day weekend? I think it may be.
    Take Care

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is a three day weekend! Just about everything is closed around here. That is great. People should be off today.

      Delete
  15. Hi Martha! Oh Beaker! LOL...that brings back memories...I love Kermit too. I'm so happy to hear you're drawing! It's all about practice! Which I don't do and I can't draw lol...I will one day, I just have to find the time and patience. You couldn't have picked a better summer to let fly by huh? It's 14 and rainy today, ick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had to draw Beaker! LOL His look makes me laugh whenever I see it. I've been wanting to get beyond stick figures since...well...forever. And I always say "maybe one day". Well, I decided that now is as good a time as any. And I'm so glad I did! I've having a blast.

      We had a miserable spring and summer, but it was perfect timing for us since the house kept us busy. But I do feel bad because businesses that rely on good summer weather has probably suffered quite a bit this year.

      Delete
  16. Congratulations on getting so far with the house. Your drawings are great and that is a nice sharpie set. I am always thrilled when a cat sits on me ( out of 13, I have 1 lap cat). Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, 1 out of 13! That is pretty amazing. But I shouldn't be surprised. Cats don't do that easily. If I remember right, this is my first lap cat.

      Delete
  17. Yay you and love the drawings!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so happy for you Martha!

    hope soon you will be able to finish the remaining work and what relief will you feel when sit in a completely refreshed home sweet home soon!

    LOVED the description about your cute cat's manners ,How adorable ,she is truly a joy i can feel your peace when you have her in your lap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, baili! I can't wait till it's all over. I am looking forward to a clean, organized, fully functional home!

      My kitty is a sweetheart. When she sits on my lap and I pet her, it makes me feel calm and happy.

      Delete
  19. thank you for beautiful video ,quite a therapy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow you have been busy - sure hope u share photos when its' done. And good for you!!! nice to learn to sketch and it's a fun creative relaxing hobby; Your sketches are good! About the cat - Does your cat shed - mine sheds like crazy to the point that i have to keep her out of my bedroom which makes her sad - she likes to lie behind me as i prop the pillows up to read - she lies behind my head and i noticed the other day how much hair there is everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to share before and after photos when we're done. This house has certainly kept us busy. I've always wanted to learn how to draw but never seemed to find the time for it. I figured there's never the perfect time, so why not just go ahead with it? I have one cat that sheds a lot! Her hair is all over the house like tumbleweeds!

      Delete